CANDLE WAX SPILLED ONTO RUG___HELP w/cleanup ideas

Izzie

Mon 21 Dec, 2009 03:28 am
@farmerman,
Absorbable paper towel (kitchen roll) and iron - always works for me.

(oh, love Dexter, just got Series 2)
farmerman

Mon 21 Dec, 2009 08:21 am
@Izzie,
Thanks to butterflynet I went to the fabrics dictionary and got the temp ranges for Olefin. I then tried a teeny sample with an iron. NOWAY JOSE.

The olefin melts really easil and youd have to use a dryer at very low temps. HOWEVER, I did find a solution that really worked.
The candle was a soybean candle so the wax never gets really hard.
Soybean oil is an oil so any solvent would seem to cut it.
Isopropyl alcohol is our friend. I took a very dull knife and scoured the carpet to remove much of the heavier wax buildup. Then I vacuumed with a short furniture attachment.
THEN I took Paper towels steeped in alcohol and rubbed the wax. IT came off rather easily and didnt hurt the rug. I vacuumed with our Miele (this thingll suck your fillings out when the bag is empty)

And repeated the alcohol treatment.

The wall shows a bit of a grease stain from after muy treatment so Im gonna touch this up ith paint.
Its pretty much invisible .

Butterfly gets my red dot.
DrewDad

Mon 21 Dec, 2009 08:23 am
@farmerman,
At least you didn't have feline flambe. Spilling that in your house can really screw things up.
farmerman

Mon 21 Dec, 2009 08:26 am
@DrewDad,
My dear wife would kill me shuld I harm the cat.

OH, I must say that Butterfly gets my MUCH COVETED red dot.
farmerman

Mon 21 Dec, 2009 04:12 pm
@farmerman,
After a full day of dibbying and blotching, I can say that the alcohol in a rag worked the best.

1 Brush off as much of the wax as you can get with a brass brush

2Suck up the chunks with a vacuum

3Dip the spots of wax with an alcohol rag and rub .

4 Repeat 3 until all the color is gone (It does work)

IT DOES WORK!!.

Im gonna get the Nobel Prize for Household Science
0 Replies

farmerman

Sat 7 Jul, 2012 04:17 am
This thread is three years old and I found that the "clean up what you can with physical means". Follow that with a liberal rubbing of isopropyl alcohol on a cotton ball. The alcohol will dissolve the wax and you can gain , visibly, a complete removal of colored wax with not a lot of effort.
Ill bet a lot of products use the same ingredient ( or ethyl alcohol)
0 Replies

JamesCarri

Wed 11 Jul, 2012 04:45 am
@farmerman,
Go for Dry clean rug or lets wax get dried , it will removable once it got dry.. Or if anything doesn't works , sorry, go for new rug.. Smile
farmerman

Sun 29 Jul, 2012 04:57 pm
@JamesCarri,
Well, since the rug is an inlayed one in a sun room, I needed to do it in situ. I found that, after a bit of expeimentation, most household alcohols will work(ethanol, methanol or isopropyl , eucalyptol).
I used isopropyl (90% concentration) I let the wax come to a cool temp by opening the windows and shutting the heating zone off. The room got about 50 degrees (F) and a used a stiff brush (not wire) to remove the tangles of wax in the rug nappe. Then I used generous amounts of isopropyl on a wash cloth and rubbed out all the wax visible in an area. The s[ill wa pretty wides[read . In about an hour, I had it all cleaned up an Id recommend this method.

Ive learned a lot about certain household remedies since I posted thos 2 years ago
cicerone imposter

Sun 29 Jul, 2012 05:02 pm
@farmerman,
I was going to suggest putting ice onto the wax, then break them up and vacuum.
0 Replies

Ragman

Sun 29 Jul, 2012 05:17 pm
@farmerman,
Olefin used to be called Herculon. That stuff lasts forever (except to sunlight).
0 Replies

shainakhan

Wed 1 Aug, 2012 01:28 am
@farmerman,
Feeling about wax spilled incidence.. but wax is normally removable after getting harder.. even there are many wax remove lotions you can buy online.. hope it'll help you
0 Replies

xxxx

Wed 1 Aug, 2012 01:32 am
@farmerman,
You can place a tissue over the wax and use an iron and place it on top of the tissue or paper towel. The wax would melt and stick to the the piece you're using.

farmerman

Wed 1 Aug, 2012 05:44 am
@xxxx,
that was about the worst suggestion Id gotten. The iron merely drove the wax deeper into the pile so when I applied the alcohol to the test area , it took longer and more alcohol to dissolve the wax.
DONT BOTHER WITH "SPECIAL" rug cleaning chemicals. All you need is either rubbing alcohol, cheap vodka, or wood alcohol (wood alcohol is a bit more dangerous when breathing fumes).
Id stick with 9-% isopropyl (Rubbing alcohol). Its the cheapest, best, and least hassle trick. Ya jut rub with a rag laden with alky and the stuff disappears into sloution and you keep exposing a new (clean) section of the rag.

The wax I spilled was RED and the carpet was a straw color. The mix looked kinda orange and when I went to work and the wax was removed by chemical dissolution. You couldnt see where the spill occured.
xxxx

Sat 4 Aug, 2012 03:16 am
@farmerman,
my bad... I'm really sorry but someone told me that so i just typed it in...
0 Replies

wonder456

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 04:48 am
@farmerman,
I Think this will work...
Carefully clean solidified wax with butter blade to clear out as much as possible. In case wax is still gentle, rub with ice-cubes cube to solidify and then scrape aside.
Vacuum away any kind of small pieces of polish which you have scraped away.
0 Replies