SNOW REMOVAL IS "SHOVEL READY"

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 10:04 am
@littlek,

our front lawn will be transformed into a snow dump later today...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 12:01 pm
I envy you your front lawn.
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 01:52 pm
@farmerman,
eastern ontario / just across from watertown
--------------------------------------------------------
haven't had much snow here - just a few inches on the ground .
alternate snow/rain/freezing has turned sidewalks into skating rinks .
went for a 20 minute walk - would usually take 10 minutes - and had to walk on the road .
the sidewalk plows came rattling through after the walks were covered with ice and packed down some extra snow on the walks - THANKS !

will be turning much colder - about minus 20 C - THANKS !

won't do much walking OUTSIDE for a while .
farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 02:50 pm
@hamburgboy,
Well, Were all plowed out and we can come and go for any final shopping. This snow, although significant for us, wasnt a killer of travel. Since it happened mostly on the weekend, there werent any traffic jams and school bus diggings out.
Sitting on the back porch, hot chocolate and laptop, watching the birdies at the feeder.

cats are sitting on a bench by the windows looking at the birds like a hungry diner looks at a lobster tank
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 03:33 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

jes, that weather iso depth map is a bit short. We got 20" and there are several communities around here (Strasburg /Georgetown) that got well over 2 ft

It's also a bit long. My part of NM looks like it's been buried. Not a flake from the flurry three weeks ago has survived the 48f daytime highs.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 03:34 pm
@farmerman,
You can forget your public works, too. Everyone involved is busy painting signs telling us how great they are. The signs are way too big to make good shovels, anyway.
farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:07 pm
@roger,
goddam cat dumped over a scented candle when she jumped up to look at the birdies in the sunset. Now weve got wax all over everything including the rug.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 09:05 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
HEY, I just thought of something, tonites our longest night of the year and things start to get brighter from here on till peak summer.

Yeah, wait a few days, that oughta melt those drifts, FM.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 10:08 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Yep, many cities used to have these great snowmelters into which theyd shovel the snow. The melter would be a big furnace and the water would be run into the storm sewers. I think the fuel costs shut them down.

Would one of those landscaper's wood chippers do something similar? Seems like the friction from the blades and warm air from the motor would help melt the snow.
farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 06:29 am
@Butrflynet,
I dont think so because the snow melters have big gas boilers to melt the snow in pretty large amounts. In fact, when I was a kid , wed go into Reading Pa and watch them bring huge dump truck loads up to the snow melters and they had lines of trucks waiting to dump one after the other with little delay. These babies were huge .
ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 07:31 am
@farmerman,
http://www.toronto.ca/transportation/snow/torontomelt.htm

Quote:
The Toronto snow melting machine will melt approximately 136 tonnes of snow per hour.

For those who like all the nuts and bolts information, here's how the machine works.

The operating principle of the equipment is based on a submerged combustion technique which allows that a high velocity high heat release burner be fired directly into a pool of water thereby agitating and heating this water economically and efficiently.

The thermal burner receives air and fuel under pressure from a combustion air blower and fuel source respectively. Combustion takes place within the burner and the hot combustion gases are forced down below the water level and channelled up again through a concentric wire. These gases carry with them a portion of the water which is heated by the gases and are overflowed in to the melting pit.

As snow is added to the melting pit and comes into contact with the turbulent warm water bath, it is immediately melted. The water that results from this operation is drained off into some convenient storm drain or sewer. The inlet of this drain is positioned so that a proper water level is maintained in the melting tank throughout the operation.

farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 08:28 am
@ehBeth,
You mean it will melt 136 TONS Cool of snow per hour. Thats a little bigger than a household woodchipper.

0 Replies

citywanderer

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 08:21 pm
We got 2 feet dumped on us in Northern Virginia. Due to the snow and the plowing on my street my car was completely enveloped and immobile for a few days but man did I love shoveling it out of there. Nothing like a good ol snow.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 08:35 pm
mixed rain and snow forecast for albaturkey tonite and on the morrow.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 08:40 pm
We are expecting cold but dry weather. Sounds great to me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 09:41 pm
We had large snow in my childhood years in Evanston. I remember 30" piled up several times, more in drifts, and 24 or less many times. I roll my eyes at recent snow news... but then I never had to drive in it back in the day, since I left there at 13. Here in Abq it's lightweight, although ice happens and I shouldn't be too cocky.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 10:01 pm
@dyslexia,
Crap. I was hoping to visit my sister. I have yet to find a weather and road forcast for Cuba and northward. 7,300 ft doesn't sound like anything that falls is going to quickly melt.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 04:38 pm
Sweet. Wintry mix for the next three days, with a sheet of ice called for by tomorrow morning. These barely freezing temps are a bitch.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 05:34 pm
@patiodog,
I've been trying to stare down the "mixed precipitation/high winds" forecast we've got for 3 of the next 4 days. They can't decide which days exactly, or whether it'll be freezing rain or sleet in the mix ...

Trying to schedule the trip to visit hamburger is a bit perplexing. I do NOT want to pick the days that have that evil mixed precipitation option.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 06:30 pm
@ehBeth,
I stopped staring long enough for it to switch to

http://inlinethumb17.webshots.com/43216/2456076060098509452S600x600Q85.jpg

hehehe

if we start driving right now - and drive back tomorrow ...

grrrrrrrrr

(if they allowed dogs on trains, this would NOT be an issue at all!)

oh and those scattered flurries - they're supposed to add up to 20 cm
not a lot, but enough to make roads greasy Evil or Very Mad