Should I hate Margaret Thatcher?

ossobuco

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 01:07 pm
@InfraBlue,
A substance that provide 'unami' to many.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 01:15 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

A substance that provide 'unami' to many.

I doubt that that is the way that The Pentacle Queen intended to use the word.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 01:32 pm
@InfraBlue,
It has two meanings, it's a small casserole dish, and it's also a spread made mostly from yeast extract. It's an acquired taste, if you had it as a toddler you'll like it as an adult, if not you'll hate it.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-T-kRGdne2FA/Tdy_MkUd0TI/AAAAAAAAEzg/g7OJmV71dzc/s1600/marmite.jpg

Notice the picture of a marmite on the jar of marmite.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 01:53 pm
@InfraBlue,
I know, I know, I was teasing in my way. Just read a Guardian article about unami (oh, no, not more unami.. there's a Unami Restaurant Group out of California).
I took PQ as meaning that people like or hate Marmite, that few are sans opinion, at least among those who have heard of it. In that instance, I've no opinion, not having tasted it, but chances are I'd like it.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 01:56 pm
@ossobuco,
Oz says it best. Sorry to any Americans who might have problems with the Geordie accent.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 01:58 pm
@izzythepush,
Couldn't understand a word he said..
izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 02:02 pm
@ossobuco,
It's a very difficult accent to understand if you're not familiar with it. Hinge should understand it well enough, he supports Sunderland.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 03:50 pm
@izzythepush,
Oh, I think the Australian version of that is Vegemite.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 04:32 pm
@InfraBlue,
They are slightly different, as is the New Zealand marmite. They were running out due to a fire in a warehouse, but couldn't import UK marmite because it's not quite the same.
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 12:08 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:
What is the point of hating -- or even mildly disliking -- someone who no longer has any influence on the poilitical scene?

I, agree, with the exception of this exclusion, when a well-known official's brand can sway public opinion in an unscrupulous way. The late former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher was a cold insensitive politician. She was for the entitled and powerful...much like the Republicans here in America.

Much has been made of Thatcher's friendship with Ronald Reagan....well, personally, I believe they were the same politically. As soon as Ronald Reagan came into the presidency, the homeless surfaced on the streets in every city of America.

As a college student at the time, my campus, along with myriad US campuses protested against the apartheid regime of South Africa and pushed for strong sanctions and divestment. But the haughty British leader, racist-to-the-core, Margaret Thatcher, said "we're engaging in constructive engagement." That was pure bullsh*it for someone who was comfortable with the Apartheid South Africa status quo.

Now the woman is no longer, but her memory of opposition lingers....I don't hate, Merry Andrew, but neither am I able to forget; I for one cannot think of anything memorable that was good with respect to the late Margaret Thatcher....to me she stood against progress and missed her chance to make a real difference in the world of humanity....Thatcher reminded me of one who would eat its own!
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 12:32 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,

If you must hate, you should probably hate liberals and liberalism in particular.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 01:38 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:

If you must hate, you should probably hate liberals and liberalism in particular.

"Hate" can be a cancerous process. One can be opposed to certain actions/forces without hate. I am a progressive/Liberal, yet I will not allow "hatred" to define who I am. No one should despise another human being but should try to get to the root of the problem or else become consumed with the same affliction that monopolize our enemies.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 02:49 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Moment-in-Time wrote:

Quote:

"Hate" can be a cancerous process. One can be opposed to certain actions/forces without hate. I am a progressive/Liberal, yet I will not allow "hatred" to define who I am. No one should despise another human being but should try to get to the root of the problem or else become consumed with the same affliction that monopolize our enemies.

Agreed and that's why my comment began with the word 'If'
Moment-in-Time

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 03:05 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:

Moment-in-Time wrote:
Quote:

H20 Man wrote:
Quote:
Agreed and that's why my comment began with the word 'If'

My fellow poster, H20, that is why I responded the way I did.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 03:24 pm
My friend, you are saying we are on the same page.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 04:09 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
My friend, you are saying we are on the same page.

ROTFLMFAO! You are so funny, H20. NO! It's not likely you and I are on the same page, however, we did agree, somewhat on the last response.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 04:13 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Moment-in-Time wrote:

I am a progressive/Liberal, yet I will not allow "hatred" to define who I am.

That 'yet' reveals much about the progressive/Liberal mindset.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 05:11 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Moment-in-Time wrote:

Moment-in-Time wrote:
I am a progressive/Liberal, yet I will not allow "hatred" to define who I am

Roger wrote:
Quote:
That 'yet' reveals much about the progressive/Liberal mindset.

I'm not so sure about that. I'm aware of much discontent that exist regarding the subject in question. I hope to rise above such visceral feelings, to be more objective minus the bias.
roger

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 05:15 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
You could be right. I'll withhold judgement.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 05:24 pm
@roger,
Quote:
You could be right. I'll withhold judgement.

Roger, I'm delighted we could end our little exchange on such a cordial note, Thank you.
0 Replies