cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 05:12 pm
@Cyracuz,
But on one level it is "intelligent" because it is able to survive with the changing climate of this planet. It has adapted to its environment.
0 Replies

Alrenous

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 07:43 pm
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Jackofalltrades phil wrote:

I would like to explain my position a bit further. I should admit that i may not be succesful as i am not good at teaching things as an academic would be able to. I therfore seek your help and insight also, as we go along.

Certainly.

Quote:
To put it simply, intelligence is the product of the intellect. I hope this is simple.

It is simple, but I don't think it's enough of a distinction to matter. Every being with intellect will be intelligent, and every being without intelligence must necessarily lack intellect.

Quote:
However, and we need to be careful here, it is not necessary that intelligence is dependent upon the intellect.

Yes, here is where we part ways.

I would just up and say bacteria have the ability to learn and reason - at the most basic level of learning and reasoning possible. They do have intellect.

Cyracuz wrote:
Can the "reactions" of the tree to external events be described in terms of intelligence?

I would say so, yes. Again, at a very basic level, it has the ability to learn, to accept stimuli, and to reason - the 'conclusion' being whatever the reaction is.

Because as soon as you define intelligence, unless you explicitly include neurons, the definition will be insensitive to both neurons and transistors - only the processes that neurons and transistors embody are relevant. And like most such things, they can be embodied in myriad different ways.

Ultimately the tree's reaction is functionally identical to a simple brain's reaction. Hence, either both are intelligent, or neither.
Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 11:41 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

The most common objection is that a tree is alive, but not intelligent. The tree is perhaps not conscious, but is consciousness a premise for intelligence? Can the "reactions" of the tree to external events be described in terms of intelligence? It depends on how widely you want to interpret the concept. I think that the wider you go the less practical meaning it has.

You have brought in a good example. I would have rather helped myself by using the examples of mobile micro-organisms, which could be easily related to the anthropocentric view-points that most of us holds. The mobility and survival of species is indicative of the characteristics of "intelligence". Thus, the definition that Al proposed is contingent to such charecterisation.

The most important observation in your comment is "a tree is alive". The question that follows is how and why it is alive. Can any being that survive's or lives which involves growth, interaction with surroundings, and regeneration or else procreates - shows or displays the same kind of charecteristics of any and every living organisms. Only the modes change. Hence we can now clearly see that all living organisms are inherently intelligent but varies only in degrees.

The general outlook that Man is the only intelligent creature on earth is an mistaken belief. As you seems have suggested, one cannot continue to hold the surmise that plants have the stimulant -reaction activity due to some chemicals or cell -biology. The cells displays all signs of intelligence without any signs of an intellect in them.

About "consciousness", we can discuss that later as its a vast subject by itself, but for now it would suffice to say that if life is a vehicle than both consciousness and intelligence is its wheels.
0 Replies

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 12:25 am
@Alrenous,
Alrenous wrote:

Yes, here is where we part ways.

I would just up and say bacteria have the ability to learn and reason - at the most basic level of learning and reasoning possible. They do have intellect.

Cyracuz wrote:
Can the "reactions" of the tree to external events be described in terms of intelligence?

I would say so, yes. Again, at a very basic level, it has the ability to learn, to accept stimuli, and to reason - the 'conclusion' being whatever the reaction is.

Because as soon as you define intelligence, unless you explicitly include neurons, the definition will be insensitive to both neurons and transistors - only the processes that neurons and transistors embody are relevant. And like most such things, they can be embodied in myriad different ways.

Ultimately the tree's reaction is functionally identical to a simple brain's reaction. Hence, either both are intelligent, or neither.

Going by your response to Cyracuz, and your assertion that bacteria's has intellect, then I may happily disappoint by saying that I agree with what you have just said. The only contradiction I find is that when you say that bacteria has an intellect than in the absence of any central nervous system how would you place the intellect in a single cell organism. If bacteria has an intellect so does a tree. Can you explain this?

My submission is that intellect is not a necessity to find intelligence on Earth. My knowledge being limited, i have not come across a study or finding that suggest that single cell organisms or the plants have an intellect per se.
(Going by the dictionary meaning of the 'intellect').
Alrenous

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 07:52 am
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Yes, there's no studies.

I think that's because the dictionary and researcher definition of intelligence is inadequate, at least for philosophical purposes.
Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 11:40 am
@Alrenous,
Alrenous wrote:

Yes, there's no studies.

I think that's because the dictionary and researcher definition of intelligence is inadequate, at least for philosophical purposes.

Yes, none that i am aware off. The dictionary reveals a concise meaning of terms for practical purposes. Yes, in philosophy we need not restrict ourselves to those limitations while exploring the facts and possibilities.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 12:23 pm
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Very good, simple, point.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 12:43 pm
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Quote:
The only contradiction I find is that when you say that bacteria has an intellect than in the absence of any central nervous system how would you place the intellect in a single cell organism.

I would see the contradiction if we agree that intelligence requires consciousness. If not there is no contradiction, merely that it seems a central nervous system is needed for consciousness. But does it have to have an intellect to be intelligent? It yields all it's information willingly to any intelligent awareness that examines it. How much information it yields relates to the individual's mastery of intelligence, his skill in using the power of nature as it manifests in us.
Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 12:38 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Quote:
The only contradiction I find is that when you say that bacteria has an intellect than in the absence of any central nervous system how would you place the intellect in a single cell organism.

I would see the contradiction if we agree that intelligence requires consciousness. If not there is no contradiction, merely that it seems a central nervous system is needed for consciousness. But does it have to have an intellect to be intelligent? It yields all it's information willingly to any intelligent awareness that examines it. How much information it yields relates to the individual's mastery of intelligence, his skill in using the power of nature as it manifests in us.

The contradiction part was addressed to AL.
Cyracuz

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 07:12 am
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Yes, I noticed that. It just made me think Wink
0 Replies

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 08:21 am
In my earlier post ( a couple of post ahead), one para was not clearly written, i tried editing but the system did not allow me; so i am rephrasing it here below.

The most important observation in your comment is "a tree is alive". The question that follows is how and why it is alive. Can any being that survive's or lives 'to be alive', and which invariably in most cases involves organic growth, interaction with surroundings, and regeneration or else procreates - accomplish the tasks without being intelligent. The task of continously adapting and defending against an hostile environment is stupendous. This constant struggle by organisms and its organs shows up in any and every living organisms, from the minutest microbes to the largest mammals. Only the modes of fighting the external threats change. Hence we see that all living organisms are inherently 'intelligent' but varies only in degrees.

Alrenous wrote:
Quote:

Cyracuz wrote:
Quote:

Now, let us see where these thoughts lead us.
Both Alrenous and Cyracuz have made some pertinent and important points.
My observation on the cues from above would be as follows:
'Intelligence' is an observed characteristics of life-forms on Earth. We attribute 'intelligence' as a quality required for life-forms to survive, purely from the biological perspective. The very fact that a life-form has survived is indicative of 'intelligence'. As we saw how bacteria is able to survive, and tree too survive's the days and nights.

In the anthropic view, which is at a macro level, we find 'intelligence' metamorphised as a rare commodity of sorts just like we value rare stones and metals like pearls and gems and gold. In human beings, we consider geniuses and Nobel laureutes as intelligent person. Thats our human perspective. But IMHO, this kind of 'intelligence' is nothing special or exceptional about in the individuals per se. The march of intelligence is an ongoing process carried across generations, heavily dependent and contingent upon the knowledge base accummulated by the previous generations.

About how intelligence may be or to put it formally, alleged to be related to Consciousness, is a tricky proposition. Personally, i feel there is a strong connection between these two. About consciousness, i am troubled by a paradoxical proposition wherein a vegetable although shows some signs of intelligence, can it be said that the vegetable is self-conscious? Even if i can't find an answer to this, i am quite sure that the plant which gave fruit has in itself some kind of consciousness.
Alrenous

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 10:11 pm
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Could your objection to vegetable intelligence be because your intuitions are contaminated by long conflation of consciousness and intelligence?

After living in our society for so long, I certainly find it difficult to conceptualize intelligence without automatically reminding myself of consciousness. However, I cannot find any logical reason to relate the two. At some point I felt it necessary to separate them.

So I wonder what you're seeing that I'm not. What reason or observation makes you sure the fruiting plant has some form of consciousness?
Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 07:48 am
@Alrenous,
Alrenous wrote:

Could your objection to vegetable intelligence be because your intuitions are contaminated by long conflation of consciousness and intelligence?

May be you are right. But its not my objection per se, but i suppose its my inability to come to terms with the fact that when i cut my vegetable, I would not like to look at it as a conscious being......... ha ha ..... Possibly I am a bit emotional, although i would like to believe I am rational....... ha ha,

Alrenous wrote:
After living in our society for so long, I certainly find it difficult to conceptualize intelligence without automatically reminding myself of consciousness. However, I cannot find any logical reason to relate the two. At some point I felt it necessary to separate them.

So I wonder what you're seeing that I'm not. What reason or observation makes you sure the fruiting plant has some form of consciousness?

Yes, seperation helps our mind to discriminate or distinguish things. Whether consciousness and intelligence is one and the same has never been answered satisfactorily. Just to throw some wild guesses, consciousness very easily appears to be a kind of a power - like the power in the engine, this power generates the torque, which inturn helps turn the wheel to move. The movement which we observe leads us to think about 'intelligence'.

Which makes the car or engine look intelligent. Similarly is the case with any cells.

Plants Cells need to have the power /consciousness to act or react in such a way that leads it to ultimately grow, interact, and regenerate - sexually or non-sexually. This of course leads to its survival. Which again makes us beleive there is 'intelligence'. This is a crude way of explaining th eworking of a cell. And i admit, this seems to be bio-meta- physcis. But thats my lame logic.

As you can see, IMHO, consciousness in plants is a deduction. I infer it from that fact that plants, those who survived has some kind of 'intelligence'.
To raise another point, as this i believe follows from the above premise, that plants need not have a intellect for decision making. Each cells acts/reacts according to its own ability and 'intelligence' to survive and lo and behold the entire plant survives to regenerate.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 08:01 am
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Jackofalltrades phil wrote:
If bacteria has an intellect so does a tree. Can you explain this?
Trees has a form of intellect, some can spread signal spores to other trees to alert therm against insect attacks.

Bacteria so far as I know has a very primitive form of intelligence as it can process external input as sunlight, temeprature fluxuation, can navigate ..etc.
HexHammer

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 12:19 pm
..besides, I find that most only describe low intellect, not high intellect.
0 Replies

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 12:45 pm
@HexHammer,
Yes, there are some studies that infer such things - but I am not sure whether that is due to a 'form of intellect'. In any case, we are trying to find that very form of intellect and define it too. An arduous task indeed.

I had also read some reports on experiments on how trees react to music. And i can refer to n number of circumstances and observations that suggests 'some form of intelligence', as i had said earlier, at the least they show some characteristics of what we describe of 'intelligence'. Thereby and by your opinion too, we all may tentatively agree that some 'kind' or 'form' of intelligence is manifest in plants. Now the question generated was whether, plants have consciousness or not. I think we should discuss it later perhaps as it is a tricky issue. Let us keep focus on the intelligence aspect.

First, i think we should ask how does the plant and all its cells work as a unit?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 01:12 pm
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Also, how plants react to human voice. Strange but true.
HexHammer

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 01:18 pm
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Make a new thread about conciousness in plants then.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 01:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Also, how plants react to human voice. Strange but true.
Yes, plants does indeed respond to human voice, but it's not because of it's human, but because it's sound. Myth Busterd did make a test with tomato plants, those plants that didn'thave any sound at all, didn't grow as much as those who had noise, music and sweet talk.
north

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 11:56 pm

the ability to adapt , reason , objective , question , creative , the quickness of putting two and two together

all this not necessarily based on knowledge
0 Replies