One Eyed Mind

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 09:58 pm
@JLNobody,
You have the potential to understand life on a universal level, rather than a personal and social level.
JLNobody

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 10:51 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
Thanks. Something like that has been my life-long purpose. Vamos a ver.
One Eyed Mind

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 11:01 pm
@JLNobody,
Do not thank me. Thank yourself. You are using your brain to encrypt my language, which is built on ancient teachings. Often people assume that the social impression I give others is my true character, but it's not. You touch the true side of me, friend. You will see and communicate with my other side. It is my courtesy towards your integrity. Very few people are able to encrypt my wisdom as you do. You have a talent. Embrace that talent.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 12:07 am
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
..exposed to the same information...

That's only correct if you are a naive realist. In general "information" is observer defined as "that which informs a choice between alternatives". (See the definition of BIT). Logically, alternatives depend on the perceptual state and abilities of the observer. To a constructivist, pattern does not independently reside in "an external world"

In short "pattern perception" is about dynamic interactive behavior, not passive information processing but we can speculate that such behavior is a function of common* physiology. What is "information" to foraging bees or migrating whales is unlikely to be information to humans.

One behavioral definition of intelligence with respect to humans is "the capacity to delay a response". i.e. to transcend determinism. We might elaborate on that "delay" by speculating that the human is running through alternative pattern/prediction scenarios via that internal process we call "thinking". The fact that we use the model of "data processing" as in a slow running computer does not get to grips with the epistemological issue of what constitutes "data".

*(note however the anthropocentic tautology...common=pattern)
Cyracuz

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 03:07 am
@fresco,
My use of the word "information" is not in accordance with the definition "that which informs a choice between alternatives". That is not to say that my perspective at the moment isn't naive realistic. I don't know, to be honest.

But I think it's safe to say I'm not really a constructivist. What if we see intelligence as an attribute of information, not of the perceiver of information? Do we really generate thoughts? Or do we merely attune our minds to experience them? I think of mind as a configuration of thoughts. My self awareness is possible only because I have memory. Without it I would have no awareness of progressing through different states, and there could be no mind.

Quote:
What is "information" to foraging bees or migrating whales is unlikely to be information to humans.

I think our difference is one of perspective. We smell flowers and we understand ocean currents. The significance of this information to human beings is vastly different than what it is to bees or whales, but the information itself occurs with whatever event it is about, to my thinking. The knowledge humans have derived from studying an exploding star, for instance, wasn't created by that study. The star knew how to explode.

It seems that to me pattern does reside elsewhere than in the mind of a perceiver. That mind is in itself a pattern.

fresco

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 06:55 am
@Cyracuz,
Note that I would also assert that "event" is defined by the observer as indeed is "flower" and "current". But none of this detracts from the relationship between flexibility in pattern perception and intelligence.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2015 11:25 am

north

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 09:06 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,

Intelligence , define it .

Intelligence is a joy , you think of things that nobody has and/or explore ologies that very few do . you see the world the same as the mainstream or everyday people but with more depth.

Have to go battery low . to be continued
north

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2015 12:37 am
@north,
north wrote:

Intelligence , define it .

Intelligence is a joy , you think of things that nobody has and/or explore ologies that very few do . you see the world the same as the mainstream or everyday people but with more depth.

Have to go battery low . to be continued

Ever seen the series Scorpion. .....?

In that series , the five of them have their strengths and weaknesses . They are all brilliant in what they do ; but none of them can do it all. Watch the series it is worth the time.

0 Replies

GorDie

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2015 09:46 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
after 18 pages of redundant, philosophical, or Unorthodox statements.

The Definition of Intelligence:

The ability to rationalize, determine, and perceive.

example #1. A dog is not intelligent because it cannot determine things through logic, it always comes to instinctive outcomes. Dogs do not do math.

example #2. A child is intelligent, because it strives for understanding, even when it is incapable of rationalizing observed behaviour.

example #3. The ability to imagine; such as sci-fi or fantasy, is a trait only reflective of intelligence.
Krumple

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 04:02 am
@GorDie,
GorDie wrote:

after 18 pages of redundant, philosophical, or Unorthodox statements.

The Definition of Intelligence:

The ability to rationalize, determine, and perceive.

example #1. A dog is not intelligent because it cannot determine things through logic, it always comes to instinctive outcomes. Dogs do not do math.

example #2. A child is intelligent, because it strives for understanding, even when it is incapable of rationalizing observed behaviour.

example #3. The ability to imagine; such as sci-fi or fantasy, is a trait only reflective of intelligence.

Well by your definitions here I would have to conclude that YOU personally are not intelligent. Reading over the "logic" of your posts is a clear indication that you lack intelligence.
0 Replies

speedjohn

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 05:40 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
It can be different thing for different people. General mental ability to learn and apply knowledge is intelligence or we can say, a superior ability to interact with environment and overcome its challenges.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 02:05 pm
@speedjohn,
I think the individual's environment makes the big difference on whether they can succeed or not. If opportunities are open and wide spread, almost anyone can succeed. Understanding that not all environments are equal.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 07:17 pm
Intellectual intuition, humbleness, deep awareness of limits. An urge for Wisdom over other things.
There a different approach to avoid all the known clichés.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 08:09 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Here's an interesting article on intuition.
http://thespiritscience.net/2016/06/21/the-3-main-types-of-intuition-how-to-know-your-strongest-sense/
0 Replies