Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 09:51 am
I have my own definition, but I'd like to hear others first.
pq x

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 11:09 am
The ability to process large amounts of raw information/data into recognizable patterns (each unique) which can be extrapolated/trended to predict an outcome or applied because the information/data has some inherent utility.

I'll start with this, and build from there.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 11:11 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
The ability to conceptualize the past and to use that data to make affirmative predictions about the future. This is what separates us from the animals; understanding the 4th dimension, time, on a theoretical level and applying that understanding to effectively control the uncontrollable future.

Cycloptichorn
aidan

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 12:15 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Keen and accurate perception.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 12:32 pm
What kind of intelligence/

Emotional intelligence is very important, yet few talk about it.

There are supposed to be 6 categories of intelligence - will get back to you with the list.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 12:35 pm
The Nine Types of Intelligence
By Howard Gardner

1. Naturalist Intelligence (“Nature Smart”)

Designates the human ability to discriminate among living things (plants, animals) as well as sensitivity to other features of the natural world (clouds, rock configurations). This ability was clearly of value in our evolutionary past as hunters, gatherers, and farmers; it continues to be central in such roles as botanist or chef. It is also speculated that much of our consumer society exploits the naturalist intelligences, which can be mobilized in the discrimination among cars, sneakers, kinds of makeup, and the like.

2. Musical Intelligence (“Musical Smart”)

Musical intelligence is the capacity to discern pitch, rhythm, timbre, and tone. This intelligence enables us to recognize, create, reproduce, and reflect on music, as demonstrated by composers, conductors, musicians, vocalist, and sensitive listeners. Interestingly, there is often an affective connection between music and the emotions; and mathematical and musical intelligences may share common thinking processes. Young adults with this kind of intelligence are usually singing or drumming to themselves. They are usually quite aware of sounds others may miss.

3. Logical-Mathematical Intelligence (Number/Reasoning Smart)

Logical-mathematical intelligence is the ability to calculate, quantify, consider propositions and hypotheses, and carry out complete mathematical operations. It enables us to perceive relationships and connections and to use abstract, symbolic thought; sequential reasoning skills; and inductive and deductive thinking patterns. Logical intelligence is usually well developed in mathematicians, scientists, and detectives. Young adults with lots of logical intelligence are interested in patterns, categories, and relationships. They are drawn to arithmetic problems, strategy games and experiments.

4. Existential Intelligence

Sensitivity and capacity to tackle deep questions about human existence, such as the meaning of life, why do we die, and how did we get here.

5. Interpersonal Intelligence (People Smart”)

Interpersonal intelligence is the ability to understand and interact effectively with others. It involves effective verbal and nonverbal communication, the ability to note distinctions among others, sensitivity to the moods and temperaments of others, and the ability to entertain multiple perspectives. Teachers, social workers, actors, and politicians all exhibit interpersonal intelligence. Young adults with this kind of intelligence are leaders among their peers, are good at communicating, and seem to understand others’ feelings and motives.

6. Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence (“Body Smart”)

Bodily kinesthetic intelligence is the capacity to manipulate objects and use a variety of physical skills. This intelligence also involves a sense of timing and the perfection of skills through mind"body union. Athletes, dancers, surgeons, and craftspeople exhibit well-developed bodily kinesthetic intelligence.

7. Linguistic Intelligence (Word Smart)

Linguistic intelligence is the ability to think in words and to use language to express and appreciate complex meanings. Linguistic intelligence allows us to understand the order and meaning of words and to apply meta-linguistic skills to reflect on our use of language. Linguistic intelligence is the most widely shared human competence and is evident in poets, novelists, journalists, and effective public speakers. Young adults with this kind of intelligence enjoy writing, reading, telling stories or doing crossword puzzles.

8. Intra-personal Intelligence (Self Smart”)

Intra-personal intelligence is the capacity to understand oneself and one’s thoughts and feelings, and to use such knowledge in planning and directioning one’s life. Intra-personal intelligence involves not only an appreciation of the self, but also of the human condition. It is evident in psychologist, spiritual leaders, and philosophers. These young adults may be shy. They are very aware of their own feelings and are self-motivated.

9. Spatial Intelligence (“Picture Smart”)

Spatial intelligence is the ability to think in three dimensions. Core capacities include mental imagery, spatial reasoning, image manipulation, graphic and artistic skills, and an active imagination. Sailors, pilots, sculptors, painters, and architects all exhibit spatial intelligence. Young adults with this kind of intelligence may be fascinated with mazes or jigsaw puzzles, or spend free time drawing or daydreaming.

From: Overview of the Multiple Intelligences Theory. Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development and Thomas Armstrong.com

coluber2001

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 01:14 pm
So far everyone has given a definition to what I would call intellect. However, I would list intellect within the category of intelligence, which is much more inclusive, far-ranging, common, and is, essentially the "stuff of the universe." That is, difficult as it may be to relate to, the universe is essentially intelligent. That does not imply that it is in itself aware. Awareness arrives in living things through the senses, and self-awareness occurs only in the animals with stronger intellects.

We may consider ourselves intellectuals, that is our brains or minds, but the mind is but the tip of the intelligence of the body, which grows from a single cell into the vastly complex array of organs and systems that are able to grow, digest, heal, and reproduce without the interference of an intellect. The intellect then thinks it's in charge of the body, which is vastly superior in intelligence to the most comples mind or computer.

By the way, Pentacle, what's your take on this issue?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 03:24 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Hi, PQ. You have received a lot of good answers, but I'd say that a big part of it is the ability to spot patterns and relate one piece of information to another. For instance, if someone speaking to you is trying to trick you, and you can spot the clues indicating this in what he says (patterns), that is would be an example of high intelligence.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 06:11 pm
The process of creating one's own reality.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 02:27 am
@Cyracuz,
There's no 'like' button on A2K... to used to facebook. But that would have got my thumbs up cyracuz.
oolongteasup

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 05:40 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
is intelligence the ability to hit the box labelled 'selected answer' with the opposable thumbs up
0 Replies

veglcube

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 05:13 pm
hh swašta ... Intelligence can be defined only in a way of common sense ... so there will never be tottal explanation on definition of IQ. Sure you have all sorts of IQ ... math uses its own IQ ... but if you look at that sort of IQ you see that if you didn't learn all of the symbols and "signs" than you won't understand the stuff. So I would say or suggest if I should that IQ is something tottaly diffferent from test of a math related subject but an IQ test must touch you soul ... but since soul cannot talk ... soul only knows but cannot express ... Common Sense can express but has no motivation ... for Common Sense is affected by Stereotipes and this affection brings a result of Limitation. Soul is forgotten and life continues only by Common Sense ... but it cannot explain things so deep like Definition of Intelligence ... words can get close but we all already know it's definition ... you just have to stop thinking like crazy for a sec. and stop! don't ask don't organize do nothing (with your thoughts ) this is where soul comes in and it juest knows ... you are certain of someting ... and you don't doubt ... if you start to doubt, it is because your common sense just involved into the scene and it's stereotipe affection made you question if it is possible for you to have ... if you allow yourself to have ... you doubt and question ... this is what common sense does ... but soul by itself does not ask .... it does not question ... for instance ... you use your soul when you walk out to your mailpost and pick the mail ... you're not thinking about what you will have to do to pick up the mail ... if you would (that means you are using your common sense) thoughts in torture kind of fashion will appear ... they will create :" OH I WILL HAVE TO PICK UP THE KEYS ... PUT ON THE SHOES, OPEN THE DOOR, WALK DOWN THE STAIRS ... SEARCH FOR A LITTLE POSTMAIL KEY WAAAA ... I WON'T BE ABLE TO FIND IT AGAIN ... " and so on ... but instead you simply use your soul, so you go and take the post that belongs to you ... common sense questions while soul takes without regrets or second thoughts ... more of it if you wish ... reply
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 06:04 pm
@veglcube,
veglcube wrote:

hh swašta ... Intelligence can be defined only in a way of common sense ... so there will never be tottal explanation on definition of IQ. Sure you have all sorts of IQ ... math uses its own IQ ... but if you look at that sort of IQ you see that if you didn't learn all of the symbols and "signs" than you won't understand the stuff. So I would say or suggest if I should that IQ is something tottaly diffferent from test of a math related subject but an IQ test must touch you soul ... but since soul cannot talk ... soul only knows but cannot express ... Common Sense can express but has no motivation ... for Common Sense is affected by Stereotipes and this affection brings a result of Limitation. Soul is forgotten and life continues only by Common Sense ... but it cannot explain things so deep like Definition of Intelligence ... words can get close but we all already know it's definition ... you just have to stop thinking like crazy for a sec. and stop! don't ask don't organize do nothing (with your thoughts ) this is where soul comes in and it juest knows ... you are certain of someting ... and you don't doubt ... if you start to doubt, it is because your common sense just involved into the scene and it's stereotipe affection made you question if it is possible for you to have ... if you allow yourself to have ... you doubt and question ... this is what common sense does ... but soul by itself does not ask .... it does not question ... for instance ... you use your soul when you walk out to your mailpost and pick the mail ... you're not thinking about what you will have to do to pick up the mail ... if you would (that means you are using your common sense) thoughts in torture kind of fashion will appear ... they will create :" OH I WILL HAVE TO PICK UP THE KEYS ... PUT ON THE SHOES, OPEN THE DOOR, WALK DOWN THE STAIRS ... SEARCH FOR A LITTLE POSTMAIL KEY WAAAA ... I WON'T BE ABLE TO FIND IT AGAIN ... " and so on ... but instead you simply use your soul, so you go and take the post that belongs to you ... common sense questions while soul takes without regrets or second thoughts ... more of it if you wish ... reply

Lolz...
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 08:17 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
The Pentacle Queen wrote:

I have my own definition, but I'd like to hear others first.
pq x
- to rationalize things
- to predict outcome
- to comprehend conjunction between things without previous knowledge
- to be able to categorize things
- to be able to alter the certain aspects of an algorithm/teachings
- to question teaching
- to invent
..etc

Above points can fit any of our 12 main intelligences.
Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 12:28 pm
Intelligence is the ability to understand Nature in good Time, by using knowledge and concepts stored in a memory.
HexHammer

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 01:48 pm
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Jackofalltrades phil wrote:

Intelligence is the ability to understand Nature in good Time, by using knowledge and concepts stored in a memory.
This goes against everything I'v read about neuroscience ..interesting.
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 03:08 pm
@HexHammer,
How so?
HexHammer

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 08:35 pm
@Cyracuz,
Just trying to say in a very nice manner, that what he said does not belong in this nor any intelligent discussion.
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 11:35 am
@HexHammer,
How do you know this is an intelligent discussion?
Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 01:39 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

Jackofalltrades phil wrote:

This goes against everything I'v read about neuroscience ..interesting.

How is it interesting?
0 Replies