Are valium or tramadol either one possibilities for putting a pet down at home?

joyness

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 01:59 pm
Are either of these medications reasonable considerations for putting a cancer ridden dog out of her suffering?

Green Witch

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 02:43 pm
@joyness,
No. Take the animal to a vet and have them do it properly and painlessly. If cost is an issue, call the SPCA or Humane Society and ask for their help. I've heard of numerous cases where a person was trying to do the right thing and ended up torturing the animal in the end. It will haunt you for the rest of your life if you do it wrong.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 02:43 pm
Whoof

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 02:50 pm
Please listen to the Witch. For the sake of your pet, don't try to do this yourself.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 03:30 pm
I agree, don't try to do it yourself by attemting to overdose the pet.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 03:38 pm
DO NOT DO THIS AT HOME!
0 Replies

BarbieQPickle

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 11:15 pm
@joyness,
That is disgusting and descpicable. Take your animal to the vet and have the proper measures taken. You can't just do whatever you want at your house because you feel like it, in fact I am pretty sure that is not even legal. If you can't take care of an animal don't own one. Reasonable? hah.
BarbieQPickle

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 11:16 pm
And if cost IS an issue disconnect your internet and get real.
0 Replies

BeaBull2010

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 03:08 am
@BarbieQPickle,
Wait a minute .. Someone gets online and is trying to find any option available to guide their pet to sleep without the fear and traumatic experience of a cold vet office, You have no idea of that particular situation and your gonna talk a bunch of **** and call someone disgusting and despicable. Don't assume its a money issue, they may be able to buy your ass 10 times over.. Its awful having a pet that you have to "kill" in some way or another. Who are you to put someone down for asking a question.. Your the disgusting one for being such an asshole to someone in a horrible situation..
dizzywolf

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 04:57 pm
I got online just now for a friend, whose dog is dying of renal failure as we speak, and the vet will not put her down until he returns on Monday. Today is Friday! Is my friend supposed to watch her dog suffer until Monday? Knowing the dog is in pain? So yes, I am looking for a humane way to help her put her very beloved and old friend to sleep, so that the dog does not have to suffer for 4 days!! Is this ok with some of you? Too bad if it isn't. We would rather not have to see a friend suffer in agony for 4 days because the vet is out for the new year weekend!!
Ragman

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 05:03 pm
@dizzywolf,
There could be other humane solutions than just the absent vet.

Just out of curiosity...because renal failure does NOT occur overnight but over an extended period of time, why didn't they take care of this end-of-life matter for their beloved pet BEFORE this weekend?

I'm not a vet but you MIGHT create a living hell worse than the dog is suffering at the moment with an improper dosage. Members here are trying to advise the best way for the suffering dog they know how. However, people who use negative heavy-handed critical tactics are wrong to do so.

Seek out an emergency pet clinic 'cause more than liklely (unless you live in a rural area) there are emergency pet facilities in most areas that can euthanize the dog if you seek them out. Why not list what city they're located and I'll bet you we can find a facility within a 25 mile radius.
0 Replies

Shawnika

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 04:40 pm
@BeaBull2010,
You know what, I agree with you. People are so quick to throw out there unsolicited opinions. I, myself am looking to see if this would be a humane option. If not, I would never do it. I dread taking my beloved Sophie to the vet for this last appointment. Youd have no idea what we have gone through over the last couple of years during her illness, nor how many tears have been shed. You people that are so quick to bad mouth someone else should just take a closer look at yourselves, do the right thing for your animals, and try to be civil to your fellow human beings in the process.
chai2

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 05:15 pm
@Shawnika,
Maybe doing the right thing by your pet isn't giving it a self perscribed amount of some medication, that could end up doing more harm than good.

Unfortunately if you try to do it yourself, you might be shedding more tears.
0 Replies