This is why it's not nice to the community to use tags as graffiti

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 03:23 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Well the ability to make private tags is worth considering, but in any case such development is a bit of a ways off. We have a lot of other non-a2k work to do and while we intend to restart some of our a2k work soon we already have a long list ready to tackle.

That's why I'm making a thread instead of committing to spending weeks of our time on the tech fixes. It won't be a permanent solution but we'll just have to get around to those fixes when we can.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 03:24 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Also, I wish tagging a thread didn't put it on your 'my posts' list.

I don't think it does. I'm aware of a bug on that list where if you post then delete your post the thread remains on your list but I don't think tagging alone will do that.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 03:25 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

rosborne979 wrote:

I hate to say it, but I find the "graffiti" tags useful. Things like "international snooze", "hit and run" and "do my homework", are usually pretty accurate tags.

I understand the problem you're running into with tags like this, but I don't see a way around it. Users evolve to fit the system available to them. This is our environment. We have adapted.

Thank you rosborne! Smile That's the exact sentiment I hold.

Isn't your fertile brain now piqued by the challenge to find creative new tags to boost your evolution?

Very Happy
roger

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 03:26 pm
@rosborne979,
Really? Some anonymous, disgruntled old man like myself tags "Do my homework", and you won't open it? I can't believe you accept the judgement of someone without even knowing their screen name.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 03:27 pm
@dlowan,
I use U S politics as a tag quite a bit.

I hope for something not involving Mr. Obama when I see politics as a tag. Politics (to me) has a different meaning than U S politics does.

We all get to have our arrrrrghs. That's one of mine.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 03:30 pm
@ehBeth,
I see, I think private tags are worth considering but right now our list is so long that anything I say is conjecture if added to the end of it. One question I have is why ignoring isn't a better solution than that. For example, what purpose does the heads up serve for you?

Another thought is whether letting users vote on tags. For example, if someone things 'tag1' is useful and adds it, but someone else doesn't they could negative tag it (e.g. "-tag1") and it would count as a vote against that tag, requiring another user to use the same tag to put it back.

One of the keys to making the tags relevant to the most people is to just rely on more users to make the tag. If they are being more... creative in their use of it it is less likely that it will match another user's tags.

Hmm, well in any case there's a lot to think about but not a lot of our time to spend on it right now. We have other a2k changes in the works and this kind of thing is going to have to wait quite a while.
High Seas

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 03:34 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Is there any way to locate the author of a tag? Some dimwit marked this thread "Modern Day Tokyo Rose", I questioned it, but the dimwit obviously only stucka around long enough to mark down thread and posts - not that there's any accounting for the insane, but I'd like to know.
http://able2know.org/topic/139193-1#post-3845430

P.S. I know there's a way to determine tag originators, but probably not worth your time to make the function visible. Thanks.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 03:37 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I suppose I could ignore/unignore/ignore/unignore as my tolerance varies - but the tags are faster/easier. They're really quite lovely in that way.

The heads-up keeps me out of threads/away from posters that might be detrimental to my efforts to maintain a decent mood some days.

George

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 03:43 pm
I deleted all my hit-and-run tags. Didn't mean to cause a problem.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 03:45 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
You are telling me that you disapprove of my thread aren't you?

Not at all. You are entitled to whatever thread you wish to create.

I'm trying to make sure I understand the issues involved, and your reasoning.
0 Replies

High Seas

@ehBeth,
Why not "ignore" once and for all? I've put on ignore all known stalkers, whether they stalk in order to mark down posts or otherwise - doubt that people with lives so pathetic they spend any amount of time in stalking and post markdowns could possibly have anything worthwhile to say.
edgarblythe

I checked my tags and only found a few graffiti tags, which I deleted.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 03:49 pm
@George,
Once while using a computer in the guest room of friends (room used mostly by their kids) I discovered that because of the parental control settings I couldn't look up threads by Hawkeye - someone had tagged them "white supremacy" and other such nonsense, with no connection to the content of the threads. Probably the same idiot who tagged the thread I linked "Tokyo Rose", sounds like the same MO Smile
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 03:49 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:

rosborne979 wrote:

I hate to say it, but I find the "graffiti" tags useful. Things like "international snooze", "hit and run" and "do my homework", are usually pretty accurate tags.

I understand the problem you're running into with tags like this, but I don't see a way around it. Users evolve to fit the system available to them. This is our environment. We have adapted.

Thank you rosborne! Smile That's the exact sentiment I hold.

Isn't your fertile brain now piqued by the challenge to find creative new tags to boost your evolution?

Very Happy

So true! So true indeed!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 03:50 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Speaking for myself, I will generally tag only if I think of (what I consider to be) a more useful tag than those already listed.

If something's already tagged "politics", I don't tag it again with "politics".
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 03:52 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

Once while using a computer in the guest room of friends (room used mostly by their kids) I discovered that because of the parental control settings I couldn't look up threads by Hawkeye - someone had tagged them "white supremacy" and other such nonsense, with no connection to the content of the threads. Probably the same idiot who tagged the thread I linked "Tokyo Rose", sounds like the same MO Smile

Really got your panties in a bunch over that tag, eh?

And before you ask, it wasn't me...

Cycloptichorn
High Seas

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 03:57 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
You didn't really think I would suspect YOU, Cycl. You're not suffering from delusions / hallucinations, unlike the author of the idiot tags, and I never figured you for a stalker! The point is that it does make a difference to filters for site access - look up the "white supremacy" tag.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 04:00 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

You didn't really think I would suspect YOU, Cycl. You're not suffering from delusions / hallucinations, unlike the author of the idiot tags, and I never figured you for a stalker! The point is that it does make a difference to filters for access - look up the "white supremacy" tag.

Not only will I look it up, I probably will employ a similar stratagem in the future - thanks for the tip!

Re: stalkers, there are a few here who consistently vote every single post of mine down, regardless of content. Always makes me laugh, but really exposes the hollow nature of the voting system.

Cycloptichorn
dyslexia

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 04:01 pm
@High Seas,
well Helen aka Toyko Rose, it was probably me that handed you that tag. It just seems like something I would do.
High Seas

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 04:05 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Re: stalkers, there are a few here who consistently vote every single post of mine down, regardless of content. Always makes me laugh....

They would be funny if they weren't quite so pathetic - can you IMAGINE have nothing better to do?!
0 Replies