This is why it's not nice to the community to use tags as graffiti

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 06:42 pm
@High Seas,
I was adverse to following to start with, as in, what? But, I see the use of following the few I don't see often and would be sorry if I missed their occasional posts, so I started 'following' some, with the knowledge that a2k was going to get more complicated. It did get more complicated, so now for me a typical day has about six pages of new posts, double what I'm used to looking over, and I trust those pages will grow. Beware, High Seas, you may end up with me as a follower; not meant to be a threat.

My trouble is, I never look at the my friends page, and if I did, I'd be confused - so, so far, this is useless. BUT, if I am missing someone as time passes, I might look at that page.

I didn't look back on this thread's recent posts. I may or may not agree with one or another.
salima

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 07:11 pm
what happens when it is determined that the majority wants to use the function to tag subjects for the purpose of posting insults or what they consider to be humor? what happens when the community chooses not to be nice to its members? what happens when the police are brought in to curb the abuse of features given to help the community? what happens when there is no outlet for creative abuse?

just a few rhetorical questions...
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 07:15 pm
@salima,
Um ... civil war breaks out?

Wink

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 07:36 pm
@salima,
Presently there is not a balance. This will be fixed, it's in the works.

Community understands creative abuse, oft amused, but does like to find stuff by useful categories.
jespah

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 05:57 am
@ossobuco,
One of the tasks that Mods do is to outtag the graffitti tags.
dlowan

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 07:52 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

One of the tasks that Mods do is to outtag the graffitti tags.

Ah so...so Mods tag out the rubbish?

dlowan (chosen excludee, have an awful day)
jespah

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 07:55 am
@dlowan,
We make an effort to, yes.

Why, I am having a modest day, thank you for asking. Smile
dlowan

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 08:04 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

We make an effort to, yes.

Why, I am having a modest day, thank you for asking. Smile

Groooaaan,

dlowan (chosen excludee)

I wish you should get caught in the hail.
jespah

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 08:48 am
@dlowan,
Did I tell you one of your cousins is living under our hibiscus again?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 08:57 am
@jespah,
You could send her/him on a prison ship to Australia to join his/her comrades there ...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 09:09 am
The problem is that your tags suck.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 09:24 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Did I tell you one of your cousins is living under our hibiscus again?

Cousin Flossie?

dlowan (some sort of excludee)

May your plague buboes burst inwardly.
jespah

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 10:05 am
@dlowan,
Thank you re the plague thing, it'll keep the sheets cleaner.

I think it's Cousin Steve, but I'm too polite to ask (or check too closely). Nice chap, keeps to himself, lovely brown jacket.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 10:35 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
I've explained that the tags are intended to be a means to save threads that you find relevant, as well as a means of creating new forums and organizing topics but it's to be expected that it would also be used for fun, and for doing things like leaving anonymous graffiti.

Thing is, it won't be anonymous forever and eventually topics will be able to display who tagged it and tags are increasingly going to be a way that members get to determine the fate of the community.

Speaking as someone who doesn't Graffiti-tag at all, doesn't tag much except his own posts, but enjoys thinking about algorithms and data structures: Wouldn't it make sense to promote tags based on how many users click on them? That way, if people graffiti-tag each others' posts as "self-righteous rant" etc. and nobody clicks on "self-rightous rant", this tag will fall back into obscurity.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 11:29 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Robert Gentel wrote:
I've explained that the tags are intended to be a means to save threads that you find relevant, as well as a means of creating new forums and organizing topics but it's to be expected that it would also be used for fun, and for doing things like leaving anonymous graffiti.

Thing is, it won't be anonymous forever and eventually topics will be able to display who tagged it and tags are increasingly going to be a way that members get to determine the fate of the community.

Speaking as someone who doesn't Graffiti-tag at all, doesn't tag much except his own posts, but enjoys thinking about algorithms and data structures: Wouldn't it make sense to promote tags based on how many users click on them? That way, if people graffiti-tag each others' posts as "self-righteous rant" etc. and nobody clicks on "self-rightous rant", this tag will fall back into obscurity.

And if they do click on it, it's a sign of an actual useful tag...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 02:37 pm
@jespah,
I often do that too.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 03:29 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

We are going to use the same principle (how many users find the tags useful), but not clickstream data, the signal we will use for this principle is total unique users who have used the tag. The graffiti tags tend to be used by only one person (who is likely to strenuously insist how useful the forum they created is, while nobody else finds it useful) so they are easy to find this way.

Additionally, we will add a semantic analysis layer to it, so we will use a combination of wisdom of the crowd through aggregate tag use, as well as promoting the relevance score of tags that are related to the text (as determined by an algorithm).

It's gonna be a piece of cake to get rid of 99% of the graffiti tags we have been getting, they are almost always the result of one joker and we've just been giving inordinate prominence to this. We also need to add a similar fix to the related tags algorithm, as Solve et Coagula has posted so many "religion, politics, israel" threads that those are the primary relationships (because the algorithm is currently based on total relationships, not total unique user relationships).
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 08:42 pm
@Green Witch,
The people who follow my posts and vice versa happen to be friends of mine - with the sole exception of the stalker, whom you strangely seem to be supporting in his weird pursuit. I just received yet another e-mail notice from A2K to the effect that >
Quote:
High Seas, Rockhead is now following your posts on able2know. You can follow Rockhead back from the following page:
http://able2know.org/user/rockhead/
To turn off email notification of new followers change your preference here:
http://able2know.org/account/preferences/
Postmaster Hamster Sr.
http://able2know.org/

> I don't care enough to issue another cease and desist notice. However I'm not clear on your interest in all this - do you know this poster? If so, can you provide any rational explanation for his cyberstalking activities? I take it you don't generally support attempts at harassment or intimidation.

Rockhead

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 08:46 pm
@High Seas,
your posts and social grace fascinate me.

i don't want to miss a single one...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 09:09 pm
@High Seas,
I don't think you know what following is meant for - it is a way to read someone's posts that doesn't post that often, that you find interesting for some reason. It's not meant as harrassment.