This is why it's not nice to the community to use tags as graffiti

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 08:28 pm
@msolga,
I've thought about that, thing is, most threads have a similar posts to views ratio. When it differs significantly it's usually a consequence of external factors such as a good search engine ranking (the case of the Lenny Connundrum, rap battle and Latin threads) and don't necessarily reflect quality on a2k so much as ranking on search engines.

So while that can be a useful signal (a variable, or data input we can use) I just haven't found a good and fair way to use it.
Green Witch

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 08:37 pm
I'm not sure if this was covered, but if I see a thread that is obviously spam I tag it as "spam". I'm trying to help other people from wasting their time by opening it. I also will vote the thread down. Is tagging spam as "spam" bad?
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 08:41 pm
@Green Witch,
I always report spam and possible phishing threads to the admins and hope that I'm not being a nuisance.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 08:47 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Fair enough. Sounds like it wouldn't be too accurate, as well.

Not quite the same thing, I know, but I liked the Abuzz feature (on each thread), which told you that such & such number of posters were registered for updates for the particular thread. I thought that that was a pretty good indicator of thread interest, whether the "interested" actually posted to the thread or not.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 09:04 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
Is tagging spam as "spam" bad?

It gives it a vote up and makes it more prominent (both from vote and tag) so it's not ideal. If you report it it gives it a vote down and gets it removed more quickly.

Thing is, once it's removed the tags are going to be removed anyway so it's not a big deal but the tagging ideal is to tag threads you find valuable.
Green Witch

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 09:05 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Okey dokey.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 09:07 pm
@msolga,
Sorry, msolga, but last thing on earth I want is updates.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 09:07 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
If something's already tagged "politics", I don't tag it again with "politics".

If you think it's a good thread that would help.

At the bottom of the threads, the recommended threads are displayed, and that is ordered by most tagged the current topic's first tag. And on the tag pages, the featured topics are the topics most tagged that tag.

So if it's a particularly good one, tagging it again counts as you voting for that topic for that particular tag. Repeating an existing good tag also keeps less relevant ones from showing up as much.
msolga

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 09:23 pm
@ossobuco,
It's the only way I can keep track, osso. Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 09:28 pm
@Robert Gentel,
On that, I find the suggestions all about the general topic and not the specific ones, and sometimes that's been an 'oof'.
Any chance that in time we'll get closer to specifically related in some way?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 09:42 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
So if it's a particularly good one, tagging it again counts as you voting for that topic for that particular tag.

If it's a thread I particularly like, chances are I've already posted in it and given it my vote that way.

Robert Gentel wrote:
Repeating an existing good tag also keeps less relevant ones from showing up as much.

I understand.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 01:53 am
Short is an understatement that would be none?.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 01:17 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
At the bottom of the threads, the recommended threads are displayed, and that is ordered by most tagged the current topic's first tag. And on the tag pages, the featured topics are the topics most tagged that tag. ....So if it's a particularly good one, tagging it again counts as you voting for that topic for that particular tag. Repeating an existing good tag also keeps less relevant ones from showing up as much.

Does your algorithm assign any weight to "views" of a thread / topic / tag search / specific page? What about threads on which we have posted, but which we subsequently voted "down" - I do that a lot, so threads I'm no longer interested in stop popping up whenever someone posts there. Thanks.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 12:36 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

High Seas wrote:

Robert Gentel wrote:

I've explained that the tags are intended to be a means to save threads that you find relevant, as well as a means of creating new forums and organizing topics .....Thing is, it won't be anonymous forever and eventually topics will be able to display who tagged it and tags are increasingly going to be a way that members get to determine the fate of the community.

Just found my answer to the idiot-tag authorship.... thanks.

Did you brute-force it?
Cycloptichorn

Sorry Cycl - hadn't looked into this thread in a long time and missed your Q.

No, I didn't brute-force it, just added the likely suspects to my ignore list. Now I've another Q, how do I get rid of a stalker? Don't care about post downgrading, but don't want people already on my ignore list following me around - find it annoying, bordering on spooky. Specifically, got this e-mail:
Quote:

Rockhead is now following you on able2know
Wed, March 3, 2010 12:03:01 AM
High Seas, Rockhead is now following your posts on able2know. You can follow Rockhead back from the following page:
http://able2know.org/user/rockhead/
To turn off email notification of new followers change your preference here:
http://able2know.org/account/preferences/
Postmaster Hamster Sr.
http://able2know.org/

Thanks for any ideas.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 12:38 pm
@High Seas,
I don't think you can block someone from following you - or should even be able to, really. If you are ignoring them, it shouldn't matter at all what they decide to read.

Cycloptichorn
djjd62

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 12:40 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:
Thanks for any ideas.

don't be such a baby, best advice i can offer
High Seas

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 12:45 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
True enough - thanks.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 12:47 pm
@djjd62,
Troublemaker.

(I thought it more appropriate when HighSeas was the solo follower of HighSeas)
High Seas

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 11:32 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Complaining about it here was enough to get Rockhead to stop following me - and btw I took him off ignore to see if he was going to ask me for an explanation, but so far he hasn't - so complaining seems to work. Thanks to the systems designers, and/or moderators.

I still don't understand the purpose of following someone unless you both share an interest in a specific topic or he's a friend, though; maybe I should post my list of "ignorees", as from other posters' replies to them I see they continue to address me occasionally, and it clutters up threads.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 05:14 pm
Took this photo of this Williamsburg Bridge graffiti today:
http://i50.tinypic.com/f5blu9.jpg

Thought it might be appropriate.
0 Replies