Extroverts make good language leaners?

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 04:49 am
Hi, everyone! Do you agree extroverts make good language learners? Thanks!

saab

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 08:39 am
Not always.
If they like to talk so much that they do not listen to the language when spoken they do not pick up the different shades of a spoken languages. In a class they can be a disturbance to the others. They might be more interested in their own opinions about languages that they don´t care about what is correct or not.
But if you are an extovert who also is interested in other people and what they have to say - yes then you make a good learner.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 09:02 am
@humengrong04,
My hovercraft is full of eels.
djjd62

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 09:05 am
@DrewDad,
i want to fondle your buttocks
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 09:09 am
@humengrong04,
Are you talking about how they use the language, like how articulate they are? Cause I think the smartest learners are the introverts, the ones with their nose stuck in books.
engineer

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 09:43 am
@Gala,
I think extroverts are more willing to open their mouths and risk making fools of themselves. I think introverts are more willing to sit quietly and think about how to approach the problem. In my experience, willingness to try and interact with people is the greatest challenge, so yes, I think extroverts have an advantage in learning a new language.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 09:49 am
@humengrong04,
Extroverts may have a greater opportunity to express themselves verbally at a higher level then individuals of the introverted set but that doesn't mean they have the intellectual capacity or the motivation to do so.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 09:57 am
@engineer,
I don't think it's a willingness so much as an automatic response from extroverts. They can't help themselves. Introverts aren't necessarily shy, they just don't get energized by being around a lot of people or need to be seen like an extrovert does.

engineer

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 11:16 am
@Gala,
But learning a new language for an adult is all about trying to speak it and if someone finds lots of interaction draining, that's not going to help. I think an introvert would do well in a small group setting or with friends, but an extrovert doesn't have that limitation. I'm not saying that one type is better or worse than the other, but if being with other people energizes you, that's a plus in this particular case.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 11:22 am
@engineer,
It's an interesting question.

One aunt/uncle pair in Germany studied English for years. She, the introvert, was an excellent student, could read/write English quite well, but pretty much refused to try to speak it. He, the extrovert, just started speaking it - didn't study much - never quite got it right, but never let it stop him.

Famously, at the airport in Montreal - speaking to customs and immigration "we are here for the sister of my woman". mmm yeah. She winced, and he barreled along happily.

Anecdotal, but I'd say the extrovert was a good language user, not so much a good language learner. He didn't have time to stop chatting long enough to learn.
Gala

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 12:24 pm
@engineer,
I tutor ESL one-on-one and they're all introverts. The one extrovert I had didn't last long, he needed more group action, he needed to be top-dog and to interupt. He also needed to schedule, then cancel at the last minute.

I've just taken on a new student who told me he's very ashamed to have a tutor because he was supposed to learn the language on his own and for this reason he is telling no one about having a tutor.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 12:26 pm
@ehBeth,
That's funny. Fearless. With the extrovert, there's always another chance...to get it wrong till you get it right, someday.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 12:29 pm
@ehBeth,
When writing in a foreign languages you can think, look up words or grammer.
Then when you speak you are afraid of not being perfect enough.
There extroverts sometimes have it easier.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 12:31 pm
I think it has to do more with how's your brain connected than with being an extrovert or an introvert.

Out of my own experience.
4 of us went to Italy with no knowledge of Italian whatsoever. 2 extroverts, 1 introvert, 1 in-between.
After a couple of weeks the 2 extroverts were already speaking pretty much, not the others.
After a few months, the extroverts were speaking well, not so much for the others.
After a couple of years, 1 extrovert and the in-between were speaking fluent correct Italian, the other extrovert was also fluent but made a lot of mistakes, the introvert spoke correct Italian but built an Italian accent while speaking Spanish.
Decades later, the 2 extroverts still speak fluently, the in-between speaks good Italian, the introvert has forgotten more than a bit.

But then...
I had a very introvert American girlfriend, we spoke English all the time, while in Mexico.
She came to Italy and, alas, she spoke with us flawless Spanish, with less accent than a Mexican living in the States... but not a word of Italian.
She went back to the US... and wrote letters in perfect Italian.

And I have a very introvert friend who says he can speak no English. He understands it perfectly and has published essays written originally in English. He's just too shy to speak and would hate his accent to be noticed. I find that odd.
engineer

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 03:35 pm
@ehBeth,
I almost posted that exact thought, that introverts would learn better while extroverts might learn faster, but learn just enough to get by.
0 Replies

humengrong04

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 08:29 am
@saab,
Thanks!Smile
0 Replies

humengrong04

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 09:07 am
@fbaezer,
Thanks!
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 09:18 am
@fbaezer,
Quote:
I think it has to do more with how's your brain connected than with being an extrovert or an introvert.

That's an excellent point.

It also depends on how willing the language learner is to immerse themself in the culture and language.
saab

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 10:25 am
@Gala,
It also depends on how willing the language learner is to immerse themself in the culture and language.

Even more so the willingness of the authors of language books and the teachers are willing to tell about culture and language. If they can´t bring it over the students will lose interest-
When I see what is told about the country which is being taught I just don´t know what think.
Gala

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 10:31 am
@saab,
I'm talking about actually being in the country and learning there.

The textbooks are always so dry. It helps to have some audio. When I was une petite fille I learned French from little 45 records and a companion book that only had pictures. I was never very good with the writing part, mostly because I didn't practice.