Tobacco vs. Driving

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 10:56 am
Lets take a walk through my paradox of thinkin for a minute here. Underage tobbaco use is up lets just face it. I'm underage and i use smokeless kind. Now if we think about just why they say that you have to be 18 to use it. Now they give you a driver's license at 16, and there is always a chnce that either your gonna get hurt or not, right? Now there is a disclaimer on tobbaco products that you may or may not get harmed using this product. Now can anyone tell me the difference in driving, which you could get hurt, and using tobacco products, which you could be harmed using them????
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,254 • Replies: 8

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 11:02 am
@bulldog-2010,
bulldog-2010 wrote:

Lets take a walk through my paradox of thinkin for a minute here. Underage tobbaco use is up lets just face it. I'm underage and i use smokeless kind. Now if we think about just why they say that you have to be 18 to use it. Now they give you a driver's license at 16, and there is always a chnce that either your gonna get hurt or not, right? Now there is a disclaimer on tobbaco products that you may or may not get harmed using this product. Now can anyone tell me the difference in driving, which you could get hurt, and using tobacco products, which you could be harmed using them????

It's not a question of whether you 'could' be hurt using tobacco products - you will be harmed by them.

I was a pack a day for over 5 years, started out much the same as you and just graduated up - mostly to hang out with girls who smoked. It was ******* stupid and I'm happy that I quit, and while I would never tell you not to do it, I would say that the long-term effects and repercussions are very real, though I understand that's hard for you to see right now.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 11:09 am
@bulldog-2010,
Your analogy of driving and smoking doesn't hold up. Tobacco use has known health risks. There are risks to driving a car, true, but they are of an entirely different sort. What it is, it's a matter of being mature enough to make a sensible decision. Sale of alcohol is prohibited to minors, just like the sale of tobacco. The reason for this is that until you reach a certain age, become an adult, you're not likely to make very wise decisions regarding anything. That is also why you are not given a choice as to whether you're going to go to school or not. You go; that decision has been made for you along with a whole lot of other decisions.

I smokerd a good deal more than one pack a day for years and years. I gave it up about 10 mon ths ago. Wisest decision I ever made.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 12:14 pm
@bulldog-2010,
Great argument for raising the driving age. I'd definitely support that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 02:53 pm
Tobacco's a killer.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 01:31 am
Most western countries have enough taxes on smokes to pay for their entire health care budget. When smokers die, they do it relatively quickly and cheaply. For everyone who dies from "tobacco" cancer, there are many more who die from emphysema and circulatory disease. If all these people dont smoke and live to a ripe old age, the health budget will be a shambles. This is cold and cruel and is exactly why we pay politicians far more than their intelligence would suggest they are worth...to make these decisions for us.
0 Replies

bulldog-2010

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 02:54 pm
@Merry Andrew,
alright i see ur point on the drinking thing, but my grandma has been smoking like a freight train for at least 40 years now and there absolutly nothing wrong with her the same for my dad, and my grandpa got cancer and he never smoked a day in his life
Francis

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 03:13 pm
@bulldog-2010,
Those are quite lame arguments, bulldog, as they have no significance whatsoever from a statistical point of view.

My own grandfather, a big smoker himself, died peacefully in his bed at the age of 90.

Who knows how longer had he lived had he not been a smoker?
Devaughn

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 04:32 am
@Francis,
he had luck to live this long:) maybe 100 years but not more.
0 Replies