"King of the Jungle" on Animal Planet

Roberta

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 04:00 pm
Animal experts (vets, zoo keepers, etc.) from all over the United States have been brought together in the Animal Planet's version of Survivor.

Participants must deal with animals and physical challenges. They must also exhibit a "screen presence." The prize they're playing for--their own show.

Week one: Participants had to scale a tall pole and then swing across to a cargo net. From the net, they had to wander around and find animals in thr forest. Once the animals were found, they had to discuss them.

Week two: Participants had to capture small(ish) alligators and have them measured and prepared to be transported. They also had to climb a tree and walk across two high horizontal poles to get to view the contents of a bird's nest. They then had to discuss the contents of the nest.

Week three: Don't know yet.

Has anyone been watching this show? I'm rooting for Mike, a keeper from the LA Zoo.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,242 • Replies: 68
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 04:15 pm
Haven't seen it, Roberta, but since you watch Animal Planet, maybe you can help me with this:

There's a show ("Killer Instinct" it may be called; I'm not sure) featuring a chubby, bearded Australian who's always barefoot. The show seems to consist of his seeking out various lethal-looking snakes and large reptiles, then provoking them to snap at him and so forth. Is there a point to what he's doing beyond him getting a rise out of the critters?

(I've watched bits of the show, obviously, but I also watch bits of the shopping channels and the religious channels. I'm broad-minded, I guess...)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 05:38 pm
D'art, I don't know the name of the show either. But I know of whom you speak. I don't like that guy. Don't watch his shows. Yes, I think he's determined to make things look frightening. If it's the guy I think it is, I saw a brief snippet of him wrestling an anaconda in the water. What a jerk. Every other animal show I've seen about anacondas makes it quite clear that they should be approached when they're in shallow water or on land. That guy is a cowboy.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 06:44 pm
That's me you guys are talking about! Give me a break, ok? A guy's got to make a living somehow.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 12:49 am
Gus, Wrestling with anacondas and trying to get poisonous snakes to strike at you? Yeah, it's a living.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 12:43 pm
Thanks, Roberta, for commenting on the Aussie snake wrestler. I don't consider myself an animal-lover (though I have a cat), but that guy seems to go beyond the bounds. Provoking animals to entertain us? I used to do that with bugs when I was a kid, but my friends and I were sadistic little bastards.

No offense, gustav!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 02:32 pm
I dont watch the snake wrestler either.

I have watched King of the Jungle though..Im going for the gal..forget her name...the one who got the smells like popcorn thing. I want to say Altrusa but, I know thats just not right..close though.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 04:51 pm
Quinn, Yup. Close enough. I know the one you mean. She's a contender, I think. Maybe the only woman who'll be able to make it all the way through. The physical challenges are tough, especially if they require strength. Of course, the big strong guy was afraid to walk across the log. Go figure.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 05:13 pm
South Park spoofed it well:

"We are going to learn more about animals by really pissing them off."
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 04:25 pm
I wonder if that appeal of the snake wrassler is our hope that one will bite him really badly, or one of the large reptiles will bite off a vital piece of him. I suspect it is...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 04:27 pm
I wonder if that appeal of the snake wrassler is our hope that one will bite him really badly, or one of the large reptiles will bite off a vital piece of him. I suspect it is...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 01:29 am
Animal experts? Hah! Why was the blond guy whispering? Snakes are deaf. Hey, no ears blond guy. I guess I can stop yelling. He's gone.

And four experts didn't happen to notice a 13-foot python out in the open. Jeez.

I hope nobody bumps into an elephant. Oh gosh, I didn't see it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 01:38 am
Snakes feel vibrations.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 08:33 am
Hiya Deb, I know that snakes feel vibrations. But what's the point of whispering around a snake? You think they're sensitive to voice vibrations? Even if they are, this guy was holding the snake and whispering. I think the snake was more interested in some guy holding it than it was in the vibrations of his voice. This guy annoyed me. Let me be annoyed.

You you doin'"?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 12:22 pm
yeah..that poor guy..likeable and all but..you really could see it coming for him.
Not sure how I feel about Dr. and blondie who act their way around everything...I mean, this is an on camera job they're all going for. I still like the other girl Aletris.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 12:23 pm
BTW I think Nigel is an idiot...but, I thought that before this so, my feeling has just increased
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 04:39 pm
Quinn, Nigel has definite idiot tendencies. But Jeff Corwin is my absolutely favorite animal guy. Aletris has a good chance. I'm beginning to think that Mike is not going to make it in the talking department.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 05:38 pm
humm..which one is Mike?

Nigel has idiodic tendancies AND is a twit....that just about sums it up for sure. Jeff is my favorite also...how could he not be?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 05:46 pm
Confession time: I have a bit of a crush on Jeff. It's his humor that does it for me. And his obvious genuine love of the animals.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 05:50 pm
Plus...hes just adorable ya know
0 Replies