Osama Bin Ladin's Letter to America/ Quote Without Comment!

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 11:07 am
Here's the link of Osama Bin Laden's letter to America. What is your "take" on it?

Link to Osama Bin Laden's Letter to America

This is the Guardian's interpretation of the meaning of the letter:Link to the Guardian's Interpretation of the Letter
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,549 • Replies: 40
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 12:39 pm
Interesting- I found a link from MSNBC, but there is little other info about this from other American news services. I wonder why?

Link to MSNBC
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 12:54 pm
Maybe our news outlets are worried that they might look like Osama's messengers?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 01:00 pm
Craven -you may be right. If the letter is genuine (or even it is not from him, but one of his compatriots) it looks like he is expecting the US to go to war, and he is attempting to energize his terrorist cells.

As far as the terrorists going to war, they have one advantage over the Western countries' armed forces. Our guys want to come out of any war alive, while the terrorists think that they are doing a good deed by dying!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 03:02 pm
And I thought I was too wordy, very scary indeed Phoenix.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 05:39 pm
Phoenix

I first read it on the Guardian's site, too. Was curious about so little media exposure in the US, there has been some coverage here on Oz.
pretty scary, dogmatic stuff!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 05:52 pm
msolga- I think that it is all a matter of politics. The liberal press is mostly against a war. I don't think that they want to stir up the people. If citizens become frightened, and align themselves with the President, it will not bode well for the Democratic party.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 06:01 pm
I don't think it was the war (but that could have played a part if you think the media is that manipulative and biased) but rather the fact that the diatribe mixes as much fact in with their dogma in an effort to justify the attack. Coverage might have both spread their signals as well as come across as being Osama apologists.

The fact that it recieved little play in conservative media as well makes me think that no manipulative intent existed.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 06:04 pm
Phoenix

Just about everyone here is against the war, too.
I can understand the liberal press might not want to encourage war, but isn't a form of censorship to withhold statements like this? I think people have the right to be informed, to make up their own minds.

Isn't the Guardian a great site for news & comment?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 06:09 pm
The Guardian also happens to be one of the most left leaning and liberal papers I read.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 06:14 pm
Craven- You may be right about the media not sending signals to the terrorists. Funny thing, I originally heard of the letter from a rather conservative radio show!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 06:16 pm
Hi Craven!

When I want facts, PLUS interesting & thought-provoking comment on anything that really interests me, I head straight to the Guardian. The best there is, in my opinion. (Love the Talk, too! Very lively discussions!)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 06:18 pm
They are in my top 50 newspapers. They are my first choice for football news but I only read that for the World Cup.

I read the Guardian every other day, I don't care for opinion in my news but I like the variety.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 06:28 pm
The Guardian is great when I want to leave no stone unturned on a particular issue.

( & as I unwrap the daily paper, I automatically I throw the sports section of my local paper in the bin.)

Sorry for the digression, Phoenix...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 06:31 pm
msolga- FYI, I throw the sports section in the garbage pail too! Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 06:32 pm
I was always the cover to cover reader, but now I have no time for sports.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 06:44 pm
Phoenix

If I could master the smiley thing, I'd send you one right back! So many words wasted on so little in the sports pages!

Actually (being extraordinarily busy right now), there are often days on end I don't get around to removing the cursed plastic wrapper from the paper. 4 days of this & I MUST have a major fix! Onto the web for Guardian, NYTimes, the Jarkata Post, the Observer & the Australian & the Age for all the things I've missed out on. It's fascinating how the same issues are covered so differently by different cultures, in different papers. But who has the time to do this sort of thing often? Besides, you'd go crazy!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 06:46 pm
I do, I'm a speed reader and cover at least 20 newspapers online a day. It helps that I also download the news to my palm pilot so I can read it in the loo, on the subway etc.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 06:47 pm
Msolga- Very easy. Just put the cursor where you want the smiley, then click the one that you want! Cool

Twisted Evil Idea

Embarrassed
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 06:54 pm
Laughing

Thanks for trying Phoenix, but this is what happens
0 Replies