husker

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 11:58 pm
If was was going to take a picture of my dog, that's a near exact!! I never loved a dog much as I loved her before, nor had a dog that was such a companion. Dogs and I have a special thingy going, I'm what you would call a max dog person - been around a LOT of dogs, we adopted her at 7 yrs old, and had a wonderful 4 years.

People should go to jail for theft :-)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 12:10 am
Ahhh, Husker. It's good to love like that, don't you think? Better to have loved & lost....

We still miss our Pan, even though we now are overwhelmed by the puppies. In Louis Bromfield's book, Pleasant Valley, he writes a bit about his dogs and says that they got so many dogs so that the passing of an older one doesn't hurt so much. But that tack didn't work. Each was different and loved in and of itself. There isn't a replacement.

About the "Theft"... just trying to stir up a little bit of trouble. I was hoping that, being from the dry-side, you'd be rooting for the other side. It is astounding, isn't it, that the rivalry is so hot that the UW's statistically inferior team could still win.

J/K Matrix -- You know I'm a Malamute fan!
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 03:39 am
Piffka...
Of course I know you're a Dawg...WOOF!
Very Happy

Did you guys see the "riot" after the game on the news? Geez!!!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 11:34 am
When you're a Husker everyone in your Rival when it comes to pigskin! :-)

But then again since I've been in WA - I've also noticed one or two:
Dryside vs Wetside
East of the Cascades vs West of the Cascades
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 11:34 am
Pigskin Religion
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 12:15 pm
I am, I admit, more crazed about soccer, the real "footie", but there's something about the Apple Cup that drives my blood.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 01:02 pm
Didn't hardly know about soccer until I move out here, it's the greatest sport going - better than football!!!! Coming from me that is saying a lot!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 05:43 pm
Husker, I understand and am amazed and totally impressed with your defection! What did this? Other than the fact that footie is the beautiful game?

I've found we can love both, just one a little more than the other.
0 Replies

Ginny

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 01:50 am
My favorite dog? Maybe you can guess?

Schatze was my first dachshund, and I had her from 1985 until this year. I let her have one litter of pups - 6 females and 1 male. All the females sold in one weekend, but no one wanted the male. We kept him (even though my husband objected to a male dog), and loved him greatly until his sudden death of heart fibulation at age 12. In retrospect, my husband says he was his favorite dog - he (Bruiser) was quite the character, and often had us laughing. One of the things he would do is take a plate of food and run off with it before his mother and niece (Greta) could catch him. He would also try and figure out where we were going to put plates down for him in the kitchen, and patiently wait for them. So, we'd be clearing off the table, but he would already be sitting next to the kitchen sink, hoping that is where we would put the plates. Now we only have dear Greta....
0 Replies

dlk33

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 10:25 pm
I love my Pembroke Welsh Corgi, even if she does love food more then me. Confused
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 03:14 pm
Last Saturday I wondered into the local PetSmart to get some Christmas goodies for Bean and Carlotta and it was pet picture day with Santa. What a hoot, I was there watching dogs and their owners getting pictures with Santa for over an hour. The dogs were funny but the owner even more funny. And poor Santa, very patient I must say.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 03:28 pm
Hi Joanne --

My daughter and I did the exact some thing last Saturday!!

Total chaos!! Yes, it was a hoot!! Unfortunately, we didn't have our dogs with us, so no Santa Pix for us. Bonnie would have been fine, but Jack hates cameras because they flash. He's such a goof!!

We found some great gifts for the dogs.....

Very Happy
0 Replies

maximom

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 05:09 pm
My favorite breed is from the Non-Sporting (Bichon Frise), but my favorite group is the Toy group. I love the little ones, but appreciate the beauty of all breeds. I find dog shows to be fascinating - and I think "Best in Show" was one of the all-time greatest movies!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 05:16 pm
Ohhhh, I love that movie, maximom. I started doing agility training with one of my dogs. The instructor was very happy with our work, and suggested I look into dog handling as a business. I was startled, and a bit put off. Who does she think I am? Catherine O'Hara? :LOL:
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 09:16 pm
Hi, dlk33...Welcome to A2K!

You should find ossobuco...She's got a Corgi, too. He sounds like he's quite the character. I love the way their little bums waddle when they walk.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 09:30 pm
Hi, Ginny...

We had a Dachshund when I was growing up. His first name was Schnapps. His girlfriend lived next door and her name was Schatze. They were both great little dogs.

A few years ago we had a pound puppy that was a Dachshund/Boston Terrier mix...He had the body of a Dachshund, with a shorter nose and legs that were a bit longer, and the coloring/markings of a Boston Terrier. What a combination!!! But, he was one of the best dogs I've ever had.

I'm sorry about Schatze. We had to have a dog we loved very much put down this past July...still hurts a lot. Glad you still have Greta, though. She sounds like a sweetheart!
0 Replies

dlk33

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 01:23 pm
Hi Matrix,
I know about ossobuco's Corgi from Abuzz. We should exchange information about our Corgi's characters, to see just how much they are alike. They do have a cute little butt wag, don't they.
I used to take mine to the dog park, but gave up because I got tired of picking up poop every minute or so, just so "Sparky" could leave her mark.
She's really not a dog lover either, but she loves people who will feed her anything and pay attention to her.
0 Replies

Ginny

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 10:44 am
Hi Matrix!
Yes, dachshunds are really special dogs! Greta IS a sweetie - she won't get out of bed in the morning until she kisses my face first. One of the few dogs that prefers love to food!

eBeth - I agree - you would be a wonderful dog handler!!!
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 06:00 pm
Husker:

I loved the picture of the Golden Retriever. I was in Goldens for a long time during the 70's and 80's, and my husband and I had some wonderful dogs. My last Golden, Laddie, was one in a million. He was a show champion and the biggest ham in the world! I tried obedience with him after his show championship and he was fine in the classes...when I went to trials, he was a disaster! He was so smart that he was just not one bit interested in doing THAT stuff! He lived to be 13 and died of a brain tumor. One of my fondest memories of him was playing with my children on the beach dressed up with a hat and sunglasses. He would jump through hoops for them until he was exhausted. Unfortunately, the breed has become so popular that unscrupulous breeding has caused a myriad of genetic disorders. The desire to have a winner has caused the breed to look like "cookie cutters" with so many dogs with terrible genetic flaws and bad temperaments. Really sad.

My husband and I now are the proud owners of a lively menagerie. Annie, our Irish Wolfhound (show champion also) is 9 and aging gracefully on our 11 acres. If you have never known the love of an Irish Wolfhound, than you have not been truly loved. They bond with their owners so tightly, and yet they are not aggressive. "Gentle when stroked, yet fierce when provoked" is the saying, but they are wonderful with children and can live in a city if you are dedicated to walking them. I always felt safe when we lived in Chicago to walk her...people walked to the other side of the street when they saw the size of her.

Then there is Max (Maximus because he is the BIGGEST retired racing Greyhound we have ever seen!) He is also named after the main character of The Gladiator... Maximus Decimus Meridius. Max is the gentle and sweet like all racing greyhounds, but he is a clown with his ears. He has all sorts of "ear formations" that you would have to see! He took me only a week to train after we got him.

We have two Border Terriers....Boswell was born in Ireland but bred in Scotland...so we named him Boswell. He is lovely and so sweet, but let a squirrel come down a tree or near the garden and he is off and running despite his age of 12. Rua, our female Border Terrier, is 6. Her nickname from my cousin is"Devil Dog!" She will not allow a groundhog. squirrel, rabbit, field mouse or any other rodent to live! One day she got caught in a hole and we were very worried. We checked all the groundhog holes that we could find on our property and could not find her. Finally, after losing fluid weight, (our Vet surmised) she was able to get out of the hole. We worried that we had lost her for good, but she came trotting up to the house after 36 hours and refreshing herself in the stream that runs through the property.

I think we will always have Borders and Wolfhounds....but we are also thinking of adding one more dog that is not in the AKC but in the UKC...a Leonberger. It is a breed that comes from the Newfoundland, St. Bernard, and Great Pyranees....so it is a large breed, but does not drool! If you haven't seen this magnificent animal, go to Google and look them up. Sweet natured giants, but they do need early obedience because of their size. It has more of the working dog temperament with the lovely combination of the Newfie.

I guess you could say we have all the dog groups here except for miscellaneous and toy. Hound, terrier, working, and sporting....do we have a favorite? Not really...We love them all!
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 11:28 pm
if you dont have a kuvasz you dont know what you're missing!!!
http://aja.freehosting.net/images/classic_aja_rx600.jpg
0 Replies