Matrix500

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 08:25 pm
Hi, Piffka...

No, I'd never heard of salmon poisoning, but my husband apparently has. I've never fed any of my dogs fish, and usually the only time they've ever really run off leash near water has been at the ocean. It sounds scary enough, though, so I'm really glad that you brought it to my attention. Thanks! I did see in the article at the link below, that once dogs have had salmon poisoning-provided they recover from it-that they can develop an immunity to the disease. Hopefully, your girls will do that.

Salmon Poisoning in Dogs
http://www.metpet.com/nmerc/Dogs/salmon_poisoning_in_dogs.htm

We can't ever let Zazu run loose around bodies of water too much, because he can't have the Leptospirosis vaccine. A lot of Min Pins have had severe reactions to it, so we opted out on that one.

I've known that it's dangerous for humans to eat raw fish because of worms and other problems, but I don't eat sushi (yes, I know that the sushi chefs select their products very carefully!) and because of my dad's and my daughter's Diabetes, raw seafood of any kind is a no-no (for exactly these kinds of risks) so it's never really been an issue here before.

I haven't only had Min Pins...only my last two dogs have been that breed. Before that, I'd had a Daschund/Boston terrier mix, a purebred Cocker Spaniel, a German Shepard/Afghan mix, something that looked a little like Toto, but it was way bigger, and a pair of purebred show quality Dobermans...I also had dogs the entire time I was growing up. My dad usually bought purebred hunting dogs (except for a purebred Cocker and a purebred Daschund). He had so really beautiful ones. Very smart, very sweet dogs. (You can add numerous cats into the mix here and there, too!)

I'd never heard of a Xocho dog...when I looked it up on Google, I found some doggie sites, but they were all XXX Laughing ! Then I looked it up elsewhere, and found this link with a Xochaso:
http://www2.dogomania.com/breed/breed311/
After reading about it, I can understand why there might have been a scuffle...They look pretty protective of all that is theirs.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 08:28 pm
Hi, Osso!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 12:17 am
Uhhh, I spelled it a little bit wrong! hheeeeee.

Xolo is what I should have remembered. Here's a website:

http://members.aol.com/peonyx/Brenda/index.htm

the 2nd picture of a little spotted dog is v. similar to the one that Penny and Poppy thought might be... a cat!
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 12:43 am
Much different than the doggies on the XXX sites! I'd heard of Mexican Hairless dogs before, but had never heard their "proper" name. Interesting animals, though. But, I think I much prefer my doggies to have some hair...Even a Chinese Crested has some hair!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 08:43 am
Apparently P&P thought that this dog OUGHT to have some hair as well! Luckily the man who owned the critter was nice. He said a lot of dogs couldn't figure it out (and considering the dogs of little brain who live with me... totally understandable).
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 11:09 am
Hi Everyone --

Yes, we have a puppy!

Her nickname is 'Piglet'.

She is about 6 months old. She lived on a 90-acre cattle ranch in Eastern Washington State. She was there for the sole purpose of herding cattle. She was not a pet. She ran free on the 90 acres. The people who own the ranch got rid of all their cattle and are now training horses. So, our sweet dog was no longer needed.

She's extremely thin. Her coat is dull, dry and sunburned. She's never played with toys.

She was never hit or beaten or abused.

Piglet went to visit the vet yesterday, and she got a clean bill of health, except that she is just way too thin.

Border Collies need to be working, or they're not happy. Piglet is a worker. She will be a joy to train.

So... she's eating (hence the nickname Piglet). It's obvious that she had to fight for her food. We all stay far away from her when she's eating!!

Oh... and she loves Jack. He's already taught her how to play fetch with the racketball. She gives him kisses on his nose.

Matrix..... when we went to the vet's office yesterday, there was a MinPin in the waiting room!! I told the young man that I had an internet friend who also had a MinPin!! He asked me if you had had your dog's ears clipped. I told him that I didn't know. He said that he wasn't going to do the ear clipping because he wasn't going to enter his puppy in any dog shows. His puppy was soooooo sweet!!!

Very Happy
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 11:12 am
Oh, Peace (and Love) that's wonderful. She needs you and she is loving Jack. At least because they're different sexes they should be much better at getting along.

You will be known in those hidden annals of Border Colliehood as the saint that saved ... Piglet?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 11:17 am
Border collies are the most hyper dogs, and really intelligent. I had a border collie in the 80's--Morgan La Faye. She and i hitch-hiked thousands and thousands of mile together. A fellow once dropped us off in Colorado Springs, quite a way from the Interstate, as i had asked him to take us to a park. I let Morgan run off some steam, then we went to a convenient store. She sat at the entrance, with her nose pressed up against the invisible line she was not to cross (no dogs in stores, and she knew it). Then we headed for the Interstate. As she ran ahead, she would come to a street crossing, and look back at me. It was about 3:00 a.m., so i would give her the nod, and she would cross. Then she got so far ahead, i could no longer see her. I was rather angry, and worried -- then i got to the on-ramp for south-bound I25, and there she was, waiting under the first street lamp at the point where the ramp merges--exactly where we would be "hitching." With several choices of on-ramps and off-ramps, she had chosen the correct on-ramp.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 11:31 am
Cool story. What happened to her?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 12:01 pm
During the summers I spent at my Aunt & Uncles ranch in Colorado I used to ride after I did my chores. Their dog Lucky used to go with and run circles around me and the horse the entired time. And when I turned towards home Lucky led the way for me. He was a yellow Cocker Spanial and a great protector and guide.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 12:32 pm
This is pretty close picture of my Golden before she passed away to Cancer.
http://www.grr-tx.com/adoption/2002/02009shadow/shadow2.jpg
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 07:22 pm
Well I just now showed the picture to my family - the sameness - they asked how I got her picture up...
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 08:05 pm
Husker...

She was BEAUTIFUL! I'm so sorry she's gone...She looks like she was a very happy and very loved lady.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 08:22 pm
Peace and Love...!!!

Piglet sounds wonderful! And, I'm so glad to hear that Jack and she are hitting it off. You'll have to keep us posted on her/their progress, now. Congratulations!

Zazu will not be having his ears cropped. I love the way it looks, but know what it is that the dogs have to go through to have it done, and unless I had a dog that was going to be shown, I'd never have it done myself. The breeder that we got Zazu from has had her dogs ears cropped, but they're all show dogs, and in the U.S. Min Pins are judged by the German standard for the breed...not by the AKC, but by the Min Pin Club of America. Anyway, Zazu's ears are not huge and they stand up on their own...but sometimes he puts one or the other down. They're actually very expressive, and they are sooooooo soft! Our last Min Pin came with cropped ears, and they looked so cool, but they were always very sensitive to touch. We could pet them softly, but he never really liked to be scratched behind the ears like most dogs do. I think it kind of hurt him.

The only things that Zazu will be having done/or has had done are his tail was docked, and he'll be visiting the vet in the next couple of weeks to be neutered and to get microchipped. Other than that, I'll just keep his nails trimmed...
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 09:02 pm
Hi Matrix!
Thanks! She's IS wonderful. I'm so glad we got her. The drive over Snoqualmie Pass was absolutely beautiful. It was sunny and 44 degrees. I was surprised to see that there is no snow on the Pass. It looked like summer up there.

LOL... I'm an ears person, too! I love to softly pull on Jack's velvet ears. That was one of the first things that I commented on, about Piglet, is that her ears are thicker than Jack's! And, each time I took Piglet's picture, I was whistling or making goofy noises, so that her ears would stand up. Only one of her ears stands straight up. The other one always bends at the tip. I love ears that flop or stand up, changing their expession. I don't think I'd have any ears clipped, either!

Very Happy
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 09:10 pm
Hi Husker --
That picture is absolutely gorgeous. Your dog must have been a beauty! It's amazing that the picture is so similar.... that you can see your dog there. A little window to heaven!

Very Happy
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 09:15 pm
Hi Setanta --
I loved hearing about your Border Collie. She sounds like a brave lady. I could just sense that Border Collie connection! They really are amazing dogs.

Very Happy
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 09:33 am
Husker, do you mean that is not your dog, but a likeness you found on the internet?

It is a beautiful dog either way, I've never had one, but I've "hung out" with those belonging to friends. They are very nice dogs.

I think different people are attracted to different dogs to be their companions. I love those photographs of people and their dogs!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 09:33 am
Errr, Husker, how did you feel about the "Malamutes" stealing of the game over the Cougs?
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 08:51 pm
Piffka...

They didn't steal it...
0 Replies