Matrix500

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 09:53 pm
Thanks Setanta...

Actually, the older dog (a mix) and the last Min Pin that I owned haven't been the only pets that I've gotten from the Humane Society. I got a couple of other dogs there, and my Manx cat who lived to be 22 years old, came from the Tacoma Humane Society. I've had dogs all my life-I don't think I've ever been without one-and they've all been special to me.

A problem around here, though, is irresponsible breeding (puppy mills) is almost at an all time high, and a lot of the dogs showing up in the pounds here are a result of them and have problems like my last dog did. They seem fine at first and then all heck breaks loose. I got this information from my vet (who's seeing the problems a lot more and has to deal with the results), his assistant (who works for more than one canine rescue group), and from talking to the reputable breeders in this area. They get calls all the time from people who've adopted dogs from the shelters wanting to know what can be done to remedy problems bred into a dog that are impossible to cure. It's sad, and the problem is getting worse. The problems in an adopted animal don't always show up until after you've had the dog for a while, and by then you're hooked. My daughter's 15, and in the past 6 years, she's had to have two of her best friends put down...I can't begin to describe the heartache she's felt because of that...that all of us have felt. Beth knows a lot about my last dog. She's heard it all.

Like you said, maybe someday I'll try getting another dog from the shelter-I'm not anti shelter dogs-but for now, I think we'll stick with getting dogs that have a bit more of predictable outcome (I hope that makes some sense).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 10:29 pm
I've heard it, and continue to light the candle, Matrix.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 10:33 pm
Hi Matrix!! -- I love the Enumclaw show!! Whether or not Jack is entered in the competition, we will most likely be there. The Enumclaw show is always lots of fun. The Puyallup Fairgrounds has a Very Big AKC All-Breed Comformation show on January 10th, 11th and 12th. Perhaps your breeder will be entered there? We always go to watch at that show on at least one of the days. Last year, they ran an Agility Trial at the Fairgrounds on the same weekend. We were in Heaven!! Also, there are lots of vendors wilh all kinds of fun stuff for sale. Everything is indoors, too.

Very Happy
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 11:25 pm
I know you do, ehBeth, and I really appreciate it. You've been a good friend, and it means a lot to me.

Zazu and I continue to light our little candle in the big candle every week, too. It's nice.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 11:40 pm
Hi, Peace and Love!

Our breeder doesn't live in Enumclaw, but after we picked out our puppy at her home, we made plans with her to pick him up at that show for two reasons. First, it's a lot closer to where we live so it was easier logistically, and second, she told us about all of the goodies available at that show. I couldn't believe the prices of things there vs. the prices at the pet stores...Incredible!

I don't know if she'll be showing at the Puyallup show in January, but if it's a really big show, then she'll probably be there. I know she shows out of state and in Canada, too, but only if her dogs are into it.

Indoor shows are good, especially in January!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 09:08 am
When it gets closer to the time, please remind me again about that show, OK? I've never seen agility trials!

I have chows, for anybody who doesn't know. : )
I love them dearly, but they'll never be agility animals. Nor, frankly would I want that. I don't like to throw sticks or balls, I love that they are most content to sleep at my feet.

But I'd still love to watch your kind of dogs going through their paces! What I'd really like to see are sheep trials. One Man and His Dog? I like that TV show.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 09:23 am
I suppose you know this...

"The first dog in the International Sheep Dog Society Stud Books was "Hemp", born 1893, died 1901, and bred by Adam Telfer of Cambo. To this day all registered Border Collies can be traced back to Hemp.

from http://www.rothbury.com/roth/Sports/sheepdog.htm
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 09:43 am
Hi Piffka!!.... What TV Show??? I need to see this!!!

On the Animal Planet, this weekend, is the 3rd round in the SuperStar Challenge. One of the events is Agility. These are some of the top Agility dogs in the country. Last weekend (the 2nd round), we were sitting in front of the TV with our mouths hanging open, in total amazement at the Agility dogs (and their handlers)!!! They were Awesome!!!

Hi Matrix!!.... there will be a schedule available online for the Puyallup AKC Show, after December 18th, which is the cut-off date for entries. I can't remember if the schedule includes the names of the breeders (sometimes it's a kennel name). What a fun place for all of us Washingtonians to gather for an A2K'ers meeting!!

Very Happy
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 09:55 am
Cool. I noticed how many of us posted on Bandylu's subject! LOL, all Washingtonians, I think. We were very concerned!!!

ANimal planet is where I've seen the agility dogs... they are amazing. We always laugh because we're watching these totally talented dogs and the chows are snoozing.. possibly even snoring. Not a care in the world.

Matrix is getting a Border Collie??? Three dogs?? Good for you.

The TV show, One Man and His Dog, is like watching ice melt... or golf. Very slow, with a quiet background British voice describing the action. All you'll hear on the field are whistles or quick commands. And it is, as advertised, one man, one dog and a small flock of sheep in a large green field. I checked the BBC listings and didn't see it. Maybe this winter?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 10:38 am
I hadn't figured either of my mutts would be much good at anything but hanging around and being goofy, but then I caught some of the Outdoor Games this past summer on ESPN. The bit where the dogs jump off the end of a dock for distance -- my little one would be perfect for that. Long legs, fast twitch muscles, no need for prolonged attention, a passion for jumping into the water, and she's built just like Little Morgan, who destroyed the competition (jumped 27 feet or something like that).

Only problem is she doesn't give a damn about toys when she gets outside. I'd be out there throwing kibble off the end of the dock for her to go after.

Little Morgan, the champeen in Big Air...
http://sportsmed.starwave.com/winnercomm/outdoors/gog/i/P2_gog_02_big_air1.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 10:43 am
Bailey loved his first round of agility training. He did his first exhibition as a fund-raiser for the SPCA - the weekend before a big puppy mill raid in our area. I was on the list to get one of the breeding females that needed to be socialized when Cleo needed a home. After Cleo does some preliminary, formalized training, Bailey is going to go back to do some more agility training. He loves the fun and challenge - he is one dog who loves to focus and get things done efficiently.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 10:54 am
PatioDog - That is an awesome photograph. Those are the foot markers on the dock behind, right?

Beth - Bailey would do anything for you, I think! What a doll-boy-doglet he is. And you've even given him a girl to take care of... so thoughtful.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 10:57 am
those lonnnnnnnnnnnnng-jumping dogs are so much fun to watch. They seem to be having the most tremendous time, as do all dogs who are eventing with their owners/handlers. The mutual joy is tremendous.

I saw an agility event on AnimalPlanet once where, on successful completion of the circuit, the dog did an extra hurdle (over the handler) and then hopped onto the handler's shoulder. It was so delightful!
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 12:34 pm
Very Happy

I've had the immense pleasure of meeting ehBeth's dogs, Bailey and Cleo. They are so well behaved!! A joy to be around. Such happy dogs. And, yes, Bailey has that special ability to focus his attention totally on ehBeth and not be distracted. It's amazing!! Perfect for Agility!!

Patiodog, the Animal Planet show, SuperStar Challenge, includes a water-jumping competition..... didn't notice anyone thowing food, though!!!! That's funny!!!!

Very Happy
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 06:49 pm
Hi, Peace and Love...
Thanks for the info on the Puyallup show. I may talk to the breeder before then, anyway. We could tell she really loves all of her dogs a lot, so I promised to call her on occassion keep her apprised of Zazu's progress and to send her pictures of him from time to time.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 06:58 pm
Hi Matrix....
Many many years ago, we bought a German Shepard from a breeder. I sent her a Christmas card and enclosed a picture, along with a note about our obedience classes. The breeder wrote back and she was soooo happy that I had let her know how her puppy was doing!!!

Peace and Love
Sandra
Very Happy
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 07:08 pm
Hi, Piffka...

Guess it's been a while since we've "talked". I love Border Collies, but I'm not getting one. With my screwed up schedule, it would probably be hard to keep one happy, and that wouldn't be fair to it at all.

We had to have our other Miniature Pinscher, Rocket, put down a couple of days after this past 4th of July. He had a massive, fast growing, and inoperable tumor pressing his heart into his esophagus that didn't present any symptoms until 2 days before we had to have him put down...it was very bad.

I've only got one dog right now. I got Zazu, my Miniature Pinscher puppy, in August. He's about 4-1/2 months old now, and I love him to death. He's a real sweetheart (and getting sweeter the closer he gets to the end of the teething phase!). He's my constant companion...always at my feet or in my lap.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 07:30 pm
Hi again, Peace and Love...

That's so cool! Our breeder really tried to encourage us to keep in touch with her (which isn't a bad idea in itself) as the years go by. She's been breeding Miniature Pinschers for decades, and has kept in touch with most of the buyers she's dealt with over the years. The other breeders we talked to before even calling her all said that she was the best at following up on what had happened to her babies after they left her home. She really does seem to care a great deal.

She has 10 dogs, but only has a maximum of 2 litters a year (from two different bitches). The rest of the dogs she owns go back up the family tree to Zazu's great-great grandma...We got to see what he'll look like when he gets old, and also found out that Min Pins don't even begin to slow down until they reach 8-10 years of age, and then the term "slow down" isn't exactly relevant.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 07:33 pm
patiodog...

I LOVE that picture of Little Morgan! What a beautiful animal!
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 07:37 pm
ehBeth...

I didn't know that Bailey and Cleo were involved in Agility. I have seen the pictures of them on little k's site, and they ARE adorable!
0 Replies