Piffka

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 09:01 pm
Matrix - Sorry to hear about your dog, Rocket. We had that heartbreak of a sudden death earlier this year, as you may remember. It is not a good thing. So horribly sad. And you got Zazu a month or so later? That's about what we did. Couldn't take the quiet. Smile It is not quiet anymore!!! Laughing
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 11:14 pm
Pifka...

Thanks. I remember when your dog died earlier this year and how sad that was. It's amazing how ingrained in our lives our dogs become, isn't it? It was nearly impossible to go and look at the puppies after Rocket died, but we knew that we were going to get a dog eventually, and Miniature Pinschers are kind of a rare breed, so once we found a reputable breeder in the state (there are only a few) who had puppies, we went and looked at them. Now, I'm glad we did, but at the time, it was hard to do.

How are you're girls doing? Last I heard they were tripping you up on the way out the door on a fairly regular basis Laughing .
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 08:57 am
Mornin' Matrix! Thanks for asking. The girl-dogs are nearly full-grown, each weighing in at about 48 pounds. I can hardly call them puppies anymore, even though they're just 9 months. A real bummer for Stripe the cat who used to be bigger than they. He complains bitterly when they get to rough-housing. I was thinking they were bashing into him, but caught him watching them from the sofa and meowing angrily. Reminded me of grandpa.

They still don't get it about my maneuvering around them. Poppy, the black, will lie directly behind my feet. Do you know how often you step backwards in the course of a day? I do it a lot... you'd think she'd learn. Penny, Devil Dog, remember?... she is a barker. Apparently red chows are known for being obnoxious. Barks at her dad, barks at the squirrels, barks at people she knows perfectly well. She has even barked at me when I come home. Very un-chowlike -- it's embarassing. Poppy is still the alpha dog and we hope to keep it that way, I encourage it in little ways. I still worry that they'll start battling for the top, as some folks said.

I walk 'em nearly every day for a couple of miles in an off-leash area. Great for their socialization with people and other dogs, plus good for the three of us, even in the rain!

All in all, I adore them and am so glad they joined the family!
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 08:38 pm
48 lbs...Wow, they got big! They sound like a lot of fun, though. I remember you talking about Stripe and how at first he didn't really think that the new puppies were too bad seeing how he was bigger...Poor kitty Laughing I'll bet secretly he's glad you got them.

At times, my daughter calls Zazu the Evil Baby, because he wants to get into everything and thinks that everything was put here for his teething enjoyment. I firmly believe that puppies are made to look as cute as they are so that they can get away with as much as they can. They really keep you on your toes, don't they? (Or, should that be on their toes?)

Oh, I know about the stepping back and stepping on problem. I don't think that Zazu even weighs 4 lbs. yet, and he's constantly under, over, and behind my feet. I wear clogs a lot of the time, so I know it's got to hurt when ever my foot lands on his. Hopefully, he'll learn to move out of the way someday soon, too!

Miniature Pinschers are also known to be yappy dogs, but Zazu rarely barks. He yips a little bit before he lays down when I have to leave him in his crate (like when I take a shower and can't trust him alone in the house), but if he hears other dogs barking outside, he never barks back. He also doesn't bark at the neighbors or squirrels or birds...Totally the opposite of Rocket. I keep waiting for the noise to begin, but so far I've been lucky...Will have to keep my fingers crossed on that one!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 12:11 pm
Zazu is less than 4 pounds??? I'd be afraid I'd seriously hurt him if I stepped on him! <splat -- one flattened Minpin > He'd better get smart and quick at moving out of the way!

He sounds so cute... how much destruction can he manage anyway? I suppose more than you'd want!

I found Poppy chewing on a pair of glasses a couple of days ago. Luckily the cheap magnifying ones, not the horribly expensive prescription type, but... would she know the difference?

The yapping? How do you make them stop??? Penny can be such a butt. I got her to shush this morning, we were outside (glorious day, huh?) and she was barking at the cross-the-street-neighbor. I grabbed her by the face and looking as mean as possible, said "Shhhhhhhhhhh". She looked totally shocked and actually quit barking.

Tell me, do you still have your crows?
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 09:29 pm
Hi, Piffka...

Yeah, Zazu weighs less than 4 lbs. Rocket was only about 5 lbs. when he was full-grown. (They're more comfortable to hold on your lap than a Doberman!) I stepped on his foot in the kitchen this afternoon, and for several minutes afterwards, everytime I looked at him he backed away...I'm sure that learning experience will only last until his next nap, and then all will be forgotten. Laughing

As far as being destructive...He's watched very closely whenever he's on the loose in the house. Min Pins are known for being able to get into and onto almost anything (even kitchen counters) and anything that's within his reach is fair game for going into his mouth. It makes the kids keep their stuff picked up, that's for sure!

And, yes, the crows are still around.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 09:47 pm
Rosanne (my daughter) has found a Border Collie rescue dog. We're going to meet her on Saturday, and possibly bring her home. She's a cutie!! Rosanne is very good at training, and Border Collies love to be trained. According to the rescue people, she has had no training yet, but she learns quickly!! She's somewhere around 6 months old. Isn't this exciting??? I can hardly wait!!!

Very Happy
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 09:51 pm
P&L, that sounds terrific. Puppies are wonderful. Lucky!!!!
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 10:07 pm
Peace and Love...

That's wonderful! You guys must be so excited. I hope everything works out. How do you think Jack's going to react?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 10:24 pm
Two dogs, Peace & Love? How cool. I think they'll probably get along great once the initial period is over. It's better to that the male was the first one -- he's likely to feel more kindly about a female invading then a female for a male.

Matrix -- good deal that the kids see a reason to keep their things picked up. This is not a bad thing at all! I'm still marveling at how small she is! Even our cat is about 18 pounds.

I weighed our puppies yesterday, they were less than I expected but huge in comparison to your girl. Poppy weighed 39 pounds, Penny weighed 41, even though she looks smaller (it's all in the fur). They were under the weather and I took them to the vet... I think they ate something nasty at the beach. We always worry about salmon poisoning. Two antibiotics this week and a worming next week was the decision.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 07:03 pm
Hi, Piffka...

Antibiotics and wormings all in one week doesn't sound like much fun for anyone involved. Poor puppies...Poor Piffka... Sad

My Manx cat looked like she weighed about 15 lbs., but she really only weighed about 6. She had really long thick fur, much like your Chows do.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 10:24 pm
Matrix I still carry around the print out of you answer to my question in Abuzz about Bean. I really thought she need a tranquilzer of some sort.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 07:27 pm
Joanne...

I have that little thing stuck up on my computer desk and look at it everyday just to remind myself that everything's normal...and, the great part is, that it is normal! Ya just gotta get used to it. Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 07:05 am
Waiting to hear about PaL and the rescue Border Collie, and the response of Piffka's pups to the anti-biotics.

Bailey and Cleo have a charcoal biscuit each morning to offset the possibility of minor garbage picking when we're out walking. It won't prevent serious disease, but it seems to help against the minor ickies.

One of the things I was told when preparing to introduce a second dog to the household, was to ensure they meet on neutral territory - not always possible, but it does seem to lessen the initial nerves.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 08:31 am
I guess I was unclear about the doglets. They had a zapping of antibiotics this week and are finished now. Next week they'll have a worming, which they were due for anyway. They seem fully recovered, but I will continue to watch them.

(Raw) Salmon poisoning is nothing to fool around with. I've been reading up on it -- 90% of the dogs who contract it, die, yet it is treatable with antibiotics. Most people don't recognize the early symptoms. I knew my dogs were acting weird -- they messed in the house which is totally strange behavior for chows, they weren't interested in food and were lethargic. Even hype talk about a possible walk (you know what I mean) didn't get them up and excited.

Because we let them roam when we're at the beach, I'm very mindful of the possibilities of salmon poisoning.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 08:43 am
Good you're an attentive doggie-mom, piffka. The dangers of off-leash roaming here are much greater than the benefits. There are only a few areas where I would consider letting Bailey and Cleo off-leash, and even then, they are always within my view.

The agony I go through when they don't feel well is definitely to be avoided.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 08:51 am
The girls have two places where they can go off-leash. The local airport "safety zone" where lots of people go with their dogs (great for socializing) and our beach, which includes a couple acres of woods. They have buddies there, Simba the Black Lab and Pango (or something), an Irish Setter mix. They hang out like teens, but I call them home every half-hour or so and make sure they're not into too much trouble. Most of the time we can hear them crashing around in the underbrush anyway. It is a piece of doggy heaven. When they're tired they come back and lie in the raised dwarf evergreen garden overlooking the driveway and the bay. It is worth it to me to have a few flattened areas of garden... they're so happy.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 05:28 am
Wow, Piffka...
It's really lucky that you picked up on your dogs not feeling well. I'd never heard of salmon poisoning (strange, huh?) so that's a good thing to know about. Doubt something like that will ever be a problem with Zazu, though, because just letting a Min Pin off leash once very well may be the last time you see it. They get distracted by stuff and want to go play and investigate it, and because they're so fast, by the time they stop running they're lost. Anytime ours is out of the back yard, he's got a leash on him...We even have a kiddie gate at the top of our stairs so he can't escape through the front door when it's opened...(that advice is posted on several Min Pin sites and our breeder and vet even recommended it it...you should see us climb over it Laughing !)

Hi, ehBeth...
I'm curious to hear if the Border Collie got rescued, too. I really hope it worked out for them!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 08:12 am
Matrix! Never heard of it and you a Washingtonian? Most people on the peninsula are pretty aware, but if you've only had MinPins... you wouldn't need to know. Gosh, Zazu sounds cute!

On our walk yesterday I saw a woman with two very small dogs approaching. Now, my dogs are quite well-behaved, but there was a strange and small Xocho dog (I think I've got the spelling right.) there a while ago, which I blush to admit they thought might be a cat. There was a slight scuffle and I had to fuss with them. So when I saw these two small dogs, I felt a moment of panic. THe girls stopped and looked interested then trotted ahead. I was gratified when Penny approached the teeniest dog, a Silky Terrier, who woofed at her so loudly and long that the owner had to intervene. At least they know cats don't bark!

Where is Peace & Love??? I hope she is so busy with two happy animals that she doesn't have time to write.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 12:15 pm
I am anxious to hear from P&L about the puppy too!
0 Replies