Africans skin color changes

dov1953

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 09:12 am
Smile Why do Africans and their descendants have light colored palms and the bottoms of their feet? I believe all physical traits are intended by nature to further long term survival so I wonder what purpose this could serve in terms of evolution. I can understand the bottoms of the feet being lighter because they are less exposed to the sun. The palms of the hand are a different story. I ask out of simple curiousity. I'm not some freaky racist.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 758 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 09:57 am
Sun? They're not burnt or anything ya know..

I don't know enough to fully answer your question about pigment but the difference between skin on the palm and soles and the rest and it's implications for survival are obvious. You'll note that a cut on the palm doesn't cicatrize the same way either.
0 Replies

dov1953

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 10:08 am
Craven, Could you please explain the last part of your message? Thanks
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 10:20 am
The skin on the hands and feet are different from the rest of our skin because we use our hands and our feet differently than the rest of our bodies. That's the element of survival. The difference in pigmentation might just be a coincidence.
0 Replies