How do you deal with work at 4am?

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 07:17 pm
I'm a student and have been on the job hunt for ages: today I reluctantly took one. I'll be cleaning one of the university buildings from 4am to 7am.

Walking 15 minutes in the -20C weather every morning is slightly discouraging but I'm mostly worried that I won't get enough sleep each night due to raucous college life which will ultimately lead to poor grades and an overall nasty countenance/attitude.

Any suggestions or tips as far as what to eat, how to schedule my time, making it fun, surviving until a better job rolls around?

View best answer, chosen by brokencdplayer
dyslexia

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 07:27 pm
@brokencdplayer,
back in the olden days when I was a college student I worked midnight til 6 a.m. on the college trash truck, I was the left and load man working totally outside during colorado winters earning $1.oo per hour.
djjd62
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 07:30 pm
@brokencdplayer,
brokencdplayer wrote:
Walking 15 minutes

start by getting up by at least 3:45 am
brokencdplayer

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 07:34 pm
@djjd62,
well 4:00 am is when I have to clock in - and since I have a class at 7:45... I'll probably get up at 3:00 am to get ready for the day.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 08:49 pm
@dyslexia,
And the snow was this deep, and it was uphill both ways.
Green Witch

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 08:53 pm
@roger,
...and he didn't have any boots to wear so he tied rags around his feet with baling twine.

Green Witch

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 09:00 pm
@brokencdplayer,
B'cd, There is truth in the saying: What does not kill you will make you stronger. The only thing that will make this job survivable is the attitude you take to it. Make sure to go to bed early as often as possible, wear ear plugs if you have to. Take a nap during the day if you can - even if it's in a chair in the library. Most students spend a lot of time watching TV or playing video games, give that up and you will probably have enough time to study. Learning self-discipline now will save you from a lot of aggravation later.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 10:02 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

...and he didn't have any boots to wear so he tied rags around his feet with baling twine.

And had to carry two younger siblings on his back too. Laughing
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 10:45 pm
When I was in college I worked 3 full time jobs, took 8 classes and got by on less than one minute sleep a night. Tough it out!
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 02:30 am
I work 10PM to 10AM. The best thing I can say is sleep during the day when you can and invest in very thick curtains.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 03:02 am
And ear plugs.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 03:12 am
Speaking of 4AM... it's 4AM. Time for my sugar-free redbull. The sugar-free is easier on the stomach in my experience. Working weird hours like this, I've become a sort of virtuoso of sorts on matters of the energy drink.

T
K
O
0 Replies