Amen!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 12:59 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
How can you not see this?

Dunno. Because I'm an ignorant bastard perhaps?

I just think you underestimate how damaging sex scandals are for American politicians. You probably couldn't think of a worse scandal for one's electoral chances.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 01:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Our government has apologized,

... and yet, Korematsu v. United States continues to be good law, and the Supreme Court continues to rely on it as a precedent in recent detention cases.

Anyway, that wasn't my point. My point was that you cannot, and could never, trust the people who run the US government. The detention of Japanese Americans in the 40s supports this point. Just because the government apologizes later, and restitutes its victims, that doesn't mean you could trust it when it committed this heinous act.
maporsche

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 01:01 pm
@Thomas,
I'm with you Thomas. The example was used correctly to support your point, and it does it wonderfully.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 01:05 pm
@Thomas,
You're expecting government to be perfect; an unrealistic ideal that will never happen in real life. All we can expect is long-term improvement; and that's what we're getting.
Thomas

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 01:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
All we can expect is long-term improvement; and that's what we're getting.

Your word to Murphy's ear.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 01:45 pm
@Thomas,
Murphy was an optimist.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 03:44 pm
@Thomas,
You've lived in GErmany much too long, and haven't noticed all the improvements made by our government for the majority of Americans since WWII. Your problem, not mine.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 04:30 pm
@Thomas,
Happy to stand shoulder to shoulder with this ignorant bastard right up to the end. I've met him.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 06:27 pm
Surprised
We've moved from discussing Obama's decision re Afghanistan to the effectiveness of otherwise of his domestic policies? .... But I thought there were ample threads already on healthcare, Obama's administration, etc, ....
Oh well ....
For the record (as an outsider) , I agree with Thomas on Obama's election victory.:
Quote:
America made the least-wrong decision, given the choices she had.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 06:51 pm
@Thomas,
I assume this means you can never trust the German government, and any government?

(Searching mind for any government anywhere that has not committed heinous acts.)
maporsche

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 07:31 pm
@dlowan,
I would think that it'd be best if everyone operated on this assumption all of the time. I can't see a downside if they did.

Never trust your government to do anything except what's in it's immediate best political interest (and even that should only be a modicum of trust).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 07:34 pm
@dlowan,
Finally, a level-headed question.
msolga

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 07:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
c.i., but you already know that all governments should be treated with scepticism, surely? Wink
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 08:05 pm
@msolga,
Certainly, but my position on the US government is simply that they have made many improvements over time, and for that they should get some credit.

If you have read any of my posts concerning our government, you would know most of them are full of criticisms and skepticism, and I have tried to explain the whys.

I also know American history quite well from a minority point of view; I have seen our mothers and father struggle to make a living before, during, and after WWII. Improvements didn't happen right after the war, but as the years and decades passed, I have seen and personally experienced the many improvements in our lives.

I doubt very much the same improvements could have happened in another country during that same period. From the time our mothers and fathers struggled to eek out a living, most of us third generation Japanese Americans have experienced the American dream. My younger brother even ran for state assembly, and won three terms with an average vote of 63%, and it was once as high as 74%.

Our children are also doing very well; the majority are in the professions.

I would never expect any government to be perfect without having made any mistakes. That would be unrealistic. We must learn to balance the good with the bad, and I've determined that most of it is positive - at least for our family.
msolga

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 08:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Sure, and you obviously have good reason (as a US citizen) to see things as you do.

Whereas my major concern re US policy (not being a US citizen) is the impact of US policies & activities on people in many countries outside of the US. For example, as we've been discussing here, quite inappropriate (in my humble opinion) post 9/11 responses/retaliations.
Thomas

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 08:31 pm
@dlowan,
No, you can't trust any government. Or any big business. Or anyone with any amount of power worth abusing.
msolga

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 08:34 pm
@Thomas,
Totally agree, Thomas.

(I seem to be agreeing with you a lot, lately! What can this mean? Wink )
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 08:38 pm
@msolga,
I agree with you 100%. I have never approved of the wars in Iraq - or increasing troops in Afghanistan now. All my posts about Bush and Obama should support what I'm telling you now.

Most polls about increasing troops in Afghanistan is very unpopular with Americans, but Obama made the decision to send the 30,000 troops regardless. He's not listening to the people as he should on this issue. Sacrificing more soldiers and our treasure for an unwinnable war is foolish; many will come back in caskets, and many will come home with wounds that will never heal for the rest of their lives. Obama will be gone from office long after he's commanded them to make the sacrifice.
msolga

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 08:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes, I know that's your view, c.i.

And you've returned us to the thread topic, too! Wink

An ignoramus question perhaps, but who (apart from army advisers, obviously) would have advised Obama on the recent increase in US troop numbers in Afghanistan?
What other concerns & interests would (most likely) have been taken into account prior to that decision being made? Obviously any answer to such a question would be an educated guess ...