Obama made a terrible decision re Afghanistan

Ionus

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 10:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
You missed it
No, I didnt. How much ego does it take to keep saying you know what I have done better than me ? Is it your desire to make yourself into a living joke ?
Quote:
you don't understand what happened there.
Disagreeing with you is not the end of the world. Some people take it as badge of honour given your repeated inabilty to be correct.
maporsche

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 10:26 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

How much ego does it take...

You'll learn that CI has no shortage of ego; he could possibly be the archetype.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 10:31 pm
@maporsche,
What you misinterpret as ego is actually your displeasure at my challenges on your posts. It has nothing to do with "ego." It's about trying to discuss subjects here on a2k with reasonable people who understands the rules of debate. I challenge many posters on a2k, and some challenge me - as they should. That has nothing to do with ego.
maporsche

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 10:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
What you misinterpret as ego is actually your displeasure at my challenges on your posts.

I assure you it's not that CI.

What I see frequently in your posts is subjective and complete dismissal of people's thoughts, most of the time w/o any counter arguments of your own, just an insult.

Not all of your posts are like that, but I'd say the majority (>50%) are. And, admittedly, my previous post is equally bad unfortunately. I'm confident that these types of posts make up a small minority of my contributions though.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 01:11 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
It's about trying to discuss subjects here on a2k with reasonable people who understands the rules of debate.
Lets take the example presented by you to date...
Quote:
(ci)I guess you missed the whole Iraq war.

Quote:
(Ionus)No, I didnt miss it. What is your point ?

Quote:
(ci)You missed it, or you don't understand what happened there.

Quote:
(Ionus)No, I didnt.How much ego does it take to keep saying you know what I have done better than me ? Is it your desire to make yourself into a living joke ?

Quote:
(ci)What you misinterpret as ego is actually your displeasure at my challenges on your posts.
Show me how you have challenged my posts ? You have guessed what I did, then told me what I did, then told me you are not egotistical it is my fault because I am displeased at....what ?....your wit and retort ? Show me how you have, from your words, discussed, reasoned and used the rules of debate ?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 03:31 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
This is typical of Middle Eastern and Eastern Asian Muslim countries. Are we to withdraw because they are not moving fast enough ? How do we determine a pace for change ? Previously they used to execute women in the sports oval.

It is not a matter of "not moving fast enough" on the issue of women's rights, Ionus. The fact is, this pre-election law passed by Karzai's government meant a significant move backwards. To a position similar to the Taliban. I don't know what else I can say to make my point any clearer to you. Going backwards is not the same thing as moving slowly.

From the article I posted last night:
Quote:
Brad Adams, the organisation's Asia director, said: "The rights of Afghan women are being ripped up by powerful men who are using women as pawns in manoeuvres to gain power.

"These kinds of barbaric laws were supposed to have been relegated to the past with the overthrow of the Taliban in 2001, yet Karzai has revived them and given them his official stamp of approval."
Ionus

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 03:39 am
@msolga,
Your time frame is too short. What happened in our own society for womens rights ? Are we there yet ? How long have we been travelling ?

I say two steps forward, one backward.
msolga

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 03:48 am
@Ionus,
Sorry, Ionus.

I'm having great difficulty attempting to have a discussion with you about this issue.

As the saying goes in Oz, you keep moving the goal posts.
And you haven't paid any attention to what I've actually said. So ....

0 Replies

anton

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 04:05 am
@Ionus,
You could start by asking why 9/11 happened.
If the US realized they are no longer the only world power and stopped invading other countries the world would be a much safer place.
Most peace loving people in the world see the US as the biggest terrorist organization on the planet.
Ionus

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 04:15 am
@anton,
Are you referring to WWI or WWII ? People have benefited greatly from the scrifce of the US and the only thing they have got in return is wingeing. Anyway, they are the only world power. The US got itself into trouble by providing the Israelites with a homeland. Arab Muslims are a male dominated beligerant society that only understand power. They lost land after trying to exterminate Israel and now they are crying they want it back. Stiff bikkies.
msolga

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 07:17 am
@Ionus,
Clearly the poster you're responding to was not referring to WW1 or WW2.
He was referring to 9/11

Ionus

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 07:22 am
@msolga,
Yes, that is clear. I was responding by suggesting the world would not be a safer place, what would have happened in WWI and WWII ? I also addressed the reasons for 911.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 07:24 am
If you say so. Confused
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 07:36 am
The fact of the matter is that the Afghanistan situation we have now is not Iraq or Vietnam or even the situation in when Russia was fighting them or when England (whatever name we are supposed use there now) occupied it.

Bin Laden for whatever his stated reasons as the leader of AQ attacked our country and killed over 3000 people. They were protected and harbored by the Taliban were in control of Afghanistan at that time. We defended ourselves like we had every right to by invading that country and then just when we had Bin Laden in our sights we decided to pull back and concentrate on Iraq who had nothing to do with that horrible attack. Meanwhile, the Taliban and AQ went to other countries mainly Pakistan and have regained their strength and have been in Afghanistan and Pakistan killing people and gaining power in both countries.

Should we just shrug our shoulders and say "oh, well, we ain't going to ever win, so we should just let it go.?" Is nothing worth defending anymore? AQ is still alive and out there and they haven't decided they suddenly like us; we are still in danger from them and the Taliban right now is pretty chummy with AQ in Pakistan and they control most of Afghanistan. Furthermore, I don't see what we did before Bush invaded Iraq to deserve our having over 3000 people killed and we just take it because we deserved it.

Also saying we should just concentrate on killing AQ and the Taliban has been the strategy which has been killing a lot of innocent people with those air attacks; and has not been too sucussful plus just being not very humane.

Obama pressed for faster surge
AFGHAN REVIEW A MARATHON
msolga

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 07:57 am
@revel,
So I guess it follows, if you're arguing tit for tat in such a creative way ... that Iraqis, who were shocked & awed for absolutely no valid reason, have reasonable grounds for retaliation against the country responsible?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 10:56 am
@anton,
You got that right! Unfortunately, many Middle East countries also see us as invaders and occupiers of some of their countries while they see Israel as a terrorist country against Palestinians that we support with our politics and treasure.
0 Replies

anton

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 01:21 am
@revel,
The US is the problem not the cure.
If you are American ask yourself why you were attacked on 9/11.
anton

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 01:28 am
@Ionus,
I was referring to 9/11 but if you want to dicuss the Second World War I don't mind; the US only entered that conflict when it was almost won and the only reason the entered was because Germany declared war on the US at end of 1941. Trouble with Americans they create their own fiction and believe it.
I lived through the second World War, did you?
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 01:50 am
@anton,
anton wrote:

The US is the problem not the cure.
If you are American ask yourself why you were attacked on 9/11.

anton, on this anniversary of the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor... why don't you answer your own
question and tell us why you think Muslim extremists launched a sneak attack against America on 9/11.

Thank you.
Ionus

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 03:10 am
@anton,
Quote:
I lived through the second World War, did you?
Yes, I was alive when the very first life began on this planet, but I was very small. You are in your 90's ?