My New Blog: Or how do I Profit from my alleged/delusional sense of creativity?

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 01:43 pm
I published a personal first last night: a new blog , Arclamp Tea Salon, http://tsarstepan.squarespace.com/

I am using squarespace.com as my blog service because it was highly recommended by my favorite tech guru, Leo Laporte.

I would love if anyone could give me some technical assistance, financial advice, aesthetic criticism, and/or publishing wisdom.

Maybe it's my undiagnosed (and rarebird) mania speaking but I feel rather positive about this project. Perhaps the first true feeling of positivity I felt in a very long time.

This afternoon, I opened an account with Google Adsense. I have to await Google's decision on my application. Last night, I updated my Paypal account.

First specific query: Does anyone know how to establish a connection between one's blog and Paypal for purposes to shamelessly beg for donations and such?

Second specific query: How do I get Google to recognize my blog in the first place? I'm sure that I'm the only online institution named explicitly the Arclamp Tea Salon and the Google search for Tsarstepan doesn't bear it any fruit. Is my blog too new to be noticed? How do I act like Johnny Appleseed so I can properly and appropriately seed the internet with my blogs' link?

View best answer, chosen by tsarstepan
Ceili

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 02:08 pm
Happy belated Birthday!!!
djjd62

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 02:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
not sure if the hamsters want folks putting there blog address on the public forum or if rather have it go in your profile

anyway, that being said, looks good, i have a live journal blog with exactly 1 post

maybe i'll try to think of something to say
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 02:11 pm
@Ceili,
Thanks. http://i46.tinypic.com/oqj4ti.jpg
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 02:23 pm
@tsarstepan,
Very nice - it looks really good and you're a good writer - I like the 'self under construction -grand opening soon' bit - and your allusions to your physical and virtual lives, and how you're at a different stage in each.
I'm not usually a blog follower of anyone - even my good friends- I'd rather talk to them directly but yours kept me interested to the end. I read the whole thing.

Did you write the review of 1984? If so, you may find yourself being asked to review books, if your blog takes off. That was a sharp and succinct review.

Good luck with it and happy birthday.

(Beautiful dog too)
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 03:13 pm
@aidan,
The 1984 blurb is my own. It is my favorite book of all time.

Thanks for the lovely words of encouragement aidan. Very Happy
djjd62

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 03:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
i started an album review thread years ago, and offered a few cuts off the albums for download

maybe i'll start using my blog for the same kind of thing

maybe
aidan

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 03:29 pm
@tsarstepan,
You're welcome and again - I'm impressed by that review. I thought it captured the essence much, much more succinctly than I'd have been able to.
That's a skill and now people will see it. I wish I could be more helpful in terms of giving you ideas about seeding the internet for exposure- I have no idea about any of that - but in terms of what you're presenting , again, I think it's very well-written.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 03:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
I wanted to start a blog on the Appalachians (beyond just geology), But I think Ill wait till I fully retire lest I say something incriminating, also Im getting more interesetd in boat building and planning. My problem is that, like a butterfly in a shityard, everything interests me.((((SQUIRREL!!!)))

PS , Leo F Laporte wasinvited to be a committee advisor for a few of my past students. He used to teach paleontology at Brown U i Providence RI .(birthplace and home of the cthulhu mythos ). ISSAT the same Leo Laporte??
sozobe

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 03:52 pm
@tsarstepan,
Re Paypal, if you have a Paypal account you can follow breadcrumbs (I can find the specific page if you have problems) until it leads you to the html snippet to put a button on your blog (if it allows html snippets?)

This has lots of cool free stuff too (Paypal/credit card buttons, contact forms, much more):

http://jotform.com
Izzie

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 03:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
I think you are so very good at writing.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 01:37 pm
@sozobe,
Thank you sozobe! I now have a Paypal button up and running.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 01:39 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
i started an album review thread years ago, and offered a few cuts off the albums for download

maybe i'll start using my blog for the same kind of thing

maybe

Pourqoui pas?!
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 01:46 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

((((SQUIRREL!!!)))

<<<WHERE?!>>>
DAMN IT! You made me look!

Quote:

PS , Leo F Laporte wasinvited to be a committee advisor for a few of my past students. He used to teach paleontology at Brown U i Providence RI .(birthplace and home of the cthulhu mythos ). ISSAT the same Leo Laporte??

Apparently not ... his full name is Leo Gordan Laporte ... though he did grow up in Rhode Island. Perhaps they're related?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Laporte
http://i50.tinypic.com/1t4dw5.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 02:17 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yay!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 02:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
Leo's radio show is a great tech show for the do-it-yourselfer. He tends to hang his shows out on the very conservative talk radio stations. I used to listen to the Sacramento one at night while trying to fall asleep and discovered him there. He's got a website forum doing the same thing but it isn't nearly as responsive or helpful as the radio show.

I love his sense of humor. I haven't found his show anywhere here in New Mexico. I'll have to see if his shows are on the internet somewhere.
msolga

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 06:17 am
@tsarstepan,
You're not at all delusional, tsar. This is going to be a great little blog! Keenly looking forward to further developments.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 09:44 am
@Butrflynet,
You mean the ghost town that is the Leoville Townsquare? Yeah. I'm a member there as well.

You should be able to get many of his podcasts on iTunes and at www.twit.tv
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 09:50 am
I've managed to add Google Ad Sense to my blog. And the Google custom search bar (but I'm not sure if that's working). Might have messed up the HTML copy and pasting ... if that's somehow possible.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 09:50 am
@msolga,
Thanks for the kind words of encouragement msolga.
0 Replies