match the meaning of bolded word with one of the words given

aidan

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 03:35 pm
@JTT,
I missed the nuances of that exchange - in terms of your choice of the word synonym to describe any of the choices- and that his response was in any way directed toward you or that as opposed to the anonymous writer of the sentence fansy read somewhere that confused him/her.

Yeah - what you say makes sense, but I also think it's important to point out appropriate refinements so that ESL learners can advance, as may be their wish, past the rudimentary basics.
JTT

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 03:42 pm
@spendius,
McTag: It's not a synonym for any of them. It's a bad question. The questioner is illiterate.

===========================

I replied: As illiterate as Contrex and me, McTag?

=================

Spendi said: Delicacy. Obviously.

====================

I replied: I knew that.

In my last comment I addressed what I thought Spendi was offering, that it was delicacy on McTag's part. As regards what Spendi did mean, I'm still not sure whether I was right or wrong.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 04:12 pm
@panzade,
Quote:
The Abrams isn't delicate;its systems are...can you not discern the difference?

No.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 05:02 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
I missed the nuances of that exchange - in terms of your choice of the word synonym to describe any of the choices- and that his response was in any way directed toward you or that as opposed to the anonymous writer of the sentence fansy read somewhere that confused him/her.

As likely did I, Aidan. Just shows ta go ya how we can be misled by language. The whole thread was rather cryptic.

Quote:
Yeah - what you say makes sense, but I also think it's important to point out appropriate refinements so that ESL learners can advance, as may be their wish, past the rudimentary basics.

I agree but in this case, sophistication holds a number of nuances. I think McTag may have missed some. I think he was too focused on sticking it to me, which is fair.

aidan

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 05:10 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
I agree but in this case, sophistication holds a number of nuances. I think McTag may have missed some. I think he was too focused on sticking it to me, which is fair.

I wouldn't be so sure about that because I can remember when McTag and I were involved on one thread or another and the question had to do with who anyone on the forum thought was a good linguist - I put forth Shapeless's name, simply because s/he's who I had most often interacted with in terms of grammar and McTag offered up your name as someone who could answer a rather complicated linguistic question.

And just for the record, after reading your explanation of why you offered the synonyms for 'sophistication' (as a group) that you did - I agree.
JTT

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 07:25 pm
@aidan,
I don't doubt that he might have said that and I certainly don't hold anything against McTag. I'd say he has fair reason to feel that I deserved a shot or two. I've delivered the odd one myself.
aidan

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 01:13 am
@JTT,
You have? No way -you're kidding me!

Someone, somewhere (I think it was David - I can't remember what thread) offered up the funniest mea culpa I've ever read. I'll try to find it...not that you need to offer any mea culpas - just because it's funny.
McTag

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 02:56 am
@JTT,

Quote:

Hahaha! Psycho-analysed to the nth degree, and I never paid a penny.

Worth noting here, en passant, that the word synonym did not appear in the first question. This is an argument we have made all by ourselves.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 11:35 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
Someone, somewhere (I think it was David - I can't remember what thread) offered up the funniest mea culpa I've ever read.

If it was Om, that would be something to see.
aidan

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 02:23 am
@JTT,
Well it's sort of a hypothetical 'as if' mea culpa:
David said:
Quote:
In the disordered mind of the author,
I was supposed to react with apology in chagrin, now in apostasy, rejecting preparation for self defense.
I think that he expected me to shout "Mea culpa!!" as I gnashed my teeth and rented out my clothing.
Those reactions did not happen.

Did you know David has considered renting out his clothing (although he's not willing to in this particular case apparently)? I didn't.

You have to love the drama of his language - even if you don't like his spelling (although he stayed pretty conventional here).
0 Replies