Ask for help about a question on English learning strategy.Thanks

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 04:16 am
"you must use the language freely to learn to speak it, even if you make a lot of errors." This is a topic I need to argue in our class linguistic seminar. I am confused about its theory background after it and I want to ask whether you agree with the topic or not. Thanks a lot.

View best answer, chosen by oswaldhq
Francis
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 06:12 am
As a non-native English speaker, I plainly agree.

It's much better to talk a lot, even if you make mistakes, than wait till you feel ready.

People will tend to correct your mistakes, which will improve your learning much faster.

Good luck!
JTT

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 02:38 pm
@oswaldhq,
Francis is right.

Not only does freely and extensively using a new language improve one's speech and diction, it has the added important affect of causing others to provide more verbal playback, thereby exposing the new learner to more native examples of natural speech.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 03:08 pm
@oswaldhq,
What Francis said.
roger

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 03:24 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Also, nothing will focus your concentration more than participating in a real conversation.
0 Replies

oswaldhq

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 11:07 pm
@Francis,
Thank you for your helpful answer. I do agree that the language learners should be bold to talk a lot, so that they are exposed to communicative environment to improve their language. However, how about the mistakes are so many that it greatly influences the communicative effect? and how about other people can not correct his mistakes or neglect his mistakes? So it is dangerous to just talk a lot without concerning about correctness, isn't it?
saab

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 02:21 am
@oswaldhq,
You only have a chance to speak a new language if you
1. live in the country with the new language
2. if you take a course in your own country
3. work at home by yourself

If you live in the country and you still are a beginner and cannot yet participate in a conversation you do it step by step one thing at the time for one day. Asking for direction, asking what time it is, shop in small stores instead of supermarkets, have a coffee and make small talk to a person. Sooner or later you will be able to converse with people.

If you take a course in your own country and the course teacher does not give you or the other students a big chance to talk - find as soon as possible another group. There are language teachers who like to hear their own voice all the time.

If you are a self teacher working at home the only way to learn to be able to converse is to read and read until you know as many words as possible.
Start with childrens´books, comicstrips, books for age 10-12 and go on like that until you know a lot of words.
Then go on holiday in that country prefarable staying with a family.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 11:14 am
@oswaldhq,
I agree with
Quote:
it is dangerous to just talk a lot
. There is little benefit to a new language learner if they treat conversation as duelling monologues.

Hopefully, when someone is attempting to learn a new language, they are listening as well as speaking.

Even if the people they are in conversation with do not correct the learner's mistakes, the learner can benefit from listening to the others speaking.

0 Replies