Tiger Woods in Car Accident

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 02:11 am
@engineer,
anecdotal evidence is no match for compiled data. The FACT that the tiger story occupies the top three spots on Google news search over the last week, especially since it is only a four day old story, invalidates your argument. It both is popular, and it is not a media trumped up story (ie media reporting but people not wanting to know)
Quote:
1. tiger 100

2. woods 95

3. tiger woods 95

4. youtube 80

5. black friday 80

6. news 55

7. adam lambert 45

8. obama 40

9. thanksgiving 30

10. facebook 30

http://www.google.com/insights/search/#geo=US&gprop=news&date=today+7-d&cmpt=q
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 07:38 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
No water cooler buzz at all.

it's water cooler, coffee room, and elevator chat talk here. The men in particular are ruminating over every angle imaginable.

I'm interested in two pieces of it: 1) the effect on his brand; and 2) how he was able to hold the police off for so long. Regular (and some not so regular) folks can't hold police off like this, they get their cans hauled in if they try (it's something I hear about at my desk not infrequently).
sozobe

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 07:41 am
@ehBeth,
Yeah, I have to agree there's buzz.

Most people seem to think his wife was after him with a golf club because of the National Enquirer infidelity story. (I don't really have an opinion at this point.)
engineer

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 07:43 am
@ehBeth,
Maybe I just hang with the wrong group. No talk about Brady's various affairs, Tony Romo's love life or Tiger's driving issues here, but if a holier than thou politician is caught, they're going to have a good time with it.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 07:50 am
@engineer,
I'm in Canada. We don't much go for holier than thou politicians to begin with, so there's not much to discuss there.

Look at the Francis Fox bit at this link

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/cdngovernment/sex-scandals.html

I can't imagine he'd end up in U.S. federal cabinet after this kind of incident. Not now, let alone in 1980.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 08:43 am
@sozobe,

He had a low-speed shunt, in a great big auto, leaving home not approaching it, and alcohol was not involved. But despite that he was dazed, marked, and on the deck, according to (fairly) reliable reports. There was a woman with a golf club in close attendance, and she was Mrs Woods, and she had good cause to be angry with him.

The prosecution rests.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 07:09 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
2) how he was able to hold the police off for so long. Regular (and some not so regular) folks can't hold police off like this, they get their cans hauled in if they try (it's something I hear about at my desk not infrequently).

that part is easy: he has the best legal representation that money can buy, he routinely uses them, he has a full life history of using them, plus he has politically powerful people willing to go to bat for him.
JTT

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 08:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
From what I've read/heard/seen, it doesn't seem to be a question of"the best legal representation" at all. The police were turned away at his home seemingly on the flimsiest of excuses and not by any lawyers.

And the police seemed to back off pretty easily. I guess there's no reason anyone has to talk to the police if they don't want to.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 11:15 am

tiger says he let his family down in a statement on his website this morning...
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 06:48 pm
Quote:
The allegations of infidelity, though, continued. In a widely quoted article in US Weekly magazine, Jaimee Grubbs, a Los Angeles cocktail waitress, described an affair with Woods. The magazine told The Associated Press it would not comment on whether it had paid for the story.

Jesper Parnevik, the golfer who introduced Woods to Elin Nordegren in 2001 when she was a nanny for Parnevik and his wife, told the Golf Channel on Wednesday that he felt sorry for Elin, ESPN.com reported.

“I would be especially sad about it since I’m kind of " I really feel sorry for Elin " since me and my wife were at fault for hooking her up with him,” Parnevik, 44, said at a PGA Tour qualifying tournament in West Palm Beach, Fla. “We probably thought he was a better guy than he is. I would probably need to apologize to her.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/03/sports/golf/03woods.html?_r=1&hp

there is no way the Tiger brand avoids a major hit. This is not what his corporate sponsors thought that they were buying.
sozobe

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 07:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hmm. I'm not sure. He's always been a bit saccharine -- so much talent, so boring. This could end up leveling out for him I think (a bit of a hit in the squeaky-clean department, a bit of an uptick in the boring department.)
ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 07:53 pm
@sozobe,
I'd say he, like many many people, married too early relative to his maturation, if you go with the vow fulfilling mode of marriage over time. Vows may vary, and that's another subject.
I think it is hard to grow up in public.

On interest in all this, as posited by Mame and others - I've followed Tiger with some moderate interest over the years. I like sports, and weaned myself into life as an isolated early teen reading sports stories of the year, not because I collected baseball data, but because I was interested in what I would later think of as the sociology (psychology? what?) of sport, plus those were the books at hand at the local library. Reading is how I learned about life around me in my first batch of years, and I still learn from stories in a lot of places, including the sports pages.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 10:27 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
Hmm. I'm not sure. He's always been a bit saccharine -- so much talent, so boring. This could end up leveling out for him I think (a bit of a hit in the squeaky-clean department, a bit of an uptick in the boring department.)

that's great if you want to sell books, not so great if you want to be a corporate spokesman. This only is OK if the public comes to Tigers aid, as in comes to the opinion that he should get a pass for his misbehaviour, which I don't think will happen. We need to see some solid public opinion polls at this point.

If Tiger is a phony who has gotten rich selling his super clean brand, the tendency will be for corporations to drop him now that his cover is blown.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 10:52 pm
Quote:
So now that the "real" Woods has been revealed as a wild bone-daddy who behaves more like your out-of-work, alcoholic brother-in-law than an object of worship, we feel cheated. Aside from the hundreds of millions he's earned from golf tournaments and endorsements, turns out he's a lot like the rest of us. Our hunger for salacious news about him isn't necessarily about voyeurism. We're embarrassed by the gap between who we believed Woods to be and who he really is; and, having put Woods on that pedestal, we want to bring him down where he belongs"with the rest of us sinners. We're like the kid who, upon learning that there is no Santa Claus, conducts a wide-ranging investigation to determine how such a fraud was perpetrated on him. And we'll keep consuming Woods news until our picture of him more closely conforms with reality. We love to crown kings and cultivate messiahs. And then kill them.

"I'm human and I'm not perfect," Woods said in his post-crash communiqué to his public. "I am not without faults and I am far short of perfect," he reiterates in his second communiqué, published today, in which he confesses his "transgressions." Gee, Mr. Woods, where did we ever get the idea that you were perfect? Oh, from you!

http://www.slate.com/id/2237247/
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 09:12 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

that's great if you want to sell books, not so great if you want to be a corporate spokesman. This only is OK if the public comes to Tigers aid, as in comes to the opinion that he should get a pass for his misbehaviour, which I don't think will happen. We need to see some solid public opinion polls at this point.

If Tiger is a phony who has gotten rich selling his super clean brand, the tendency will be for corporations to drop him now that his cover is blown.

Tiger has not been squeaky-clean. He was reamed by the golf community for blowing off an awards ceremony in his honor early in his career. He made some off-color, racial jokes and was called on it by the press. He is known on the tour for his off-color language. There was some incident a few years ago where some golf legend made a joke about Tiger asking for fried chicken and collards at Augusta and Tiger essentially refused his apology for several days, leaving the guy twisting in the wind (although that might have been justified; I don't know the details.) He's never been press friendly. Tiger has gotten rich by playing incredible golf. I don't know that he's ever had an image other than that.
engineer

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 09:31 am
@engineer,
So while there is still virtually no water cooler conversation about Tiger here, I have to admit that it now seems like it is all over the place. There were two decent size articles in the local sports section today and golf doesn't normally get that kind of press.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 10:08 am
@engineer,
Yeah, I was going to say something similar. He's paid for incredible golfing, a great (photogenic) smile, and an uplifting, post-racial message (first black golfer to...). I don't think the squeaky-clean thing is paramount.

And squeaky-clean is boring, so I'm not so sure that an incredible golfer with a great smile, an uplifting, post-racial message and a bit of a playboy side will be that much different, in terms of endorsements.

The one thing that I think could impact that is if Elin starts talking and turns out to be extremely sympathetic. Right now I think she's seen as a bit of an ice queen and people don't really get outraged on her behalf.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 10:11 am
You've got to be a bit dim to put a professional athlete on a pedestal.
Dimmer still if you're shocked to discover he's not worthy of it.
djjd62

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 10:25 am
@George,
yup

plus, if worse comes to worse and he gives half his money to his wife, it's not like he really needs to worry about finances, he'll continue to earn plenty of money from golfing, even if he lost all endorsements

Ragman

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 10:56 am
@djjd62,
Purely speculating on my part (based on the widely-distributed recording of Tiger's voice that was left on 'other woman's voice-mail), he had some sort of illicit relationship with another woman; however, with that being said, who should care except his wife?! Is he a public menace of some sort...except possibly to trees and hydrants?!

Tiger paid his fine and did his civic duty expediently. His public apology was done and I boldly predict that he won't lose a single endorsement. Highly improbable that she would divorce him or vice-versa. Last time I checked, FWIW, Spitzer's wife (another public figure) is still married to him and he did a lot worse and is still being used as a consultant and may (according to sources) consider a run for Senate or Comptroller in 2010.

Public's ability to forgive and forget is great, especially when a public figure is acting contritely.