Tiger Woods in Car Accident

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 01:50 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
And your reason for quoting it was..........??????

Because it is an unusual, thought provoking and I believe largely correct take on the situation. The tiger story has a lot of interesting angles and it would be cool to be able to talk about them here. The selling out to the corporate sponsors, the ordering of his life with the express motive to make more money, is interesting. The fact that he has been so popular, and has been able to parley his popularity into great wealth, is interesting. The possibility that post Great Recession America would not take so well to Tiger, might withdraw his popularity and thus the value of him to corporations, is interesting. The possibility that his efforts to protect the value of his brand buy shutting out much of his life, letting the lawyers and managers direct his every move, ....that his efforts might have exactly the opposite effect, is interesting.

I could go on, but you get my drift.
dlowan

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 01:53 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I could go on, but you get my drift.

Not if you do not agree you were criticising him for not baring his soul to the madding crowd.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 02:09 am
@dlowan,
I think that he is making a bad move, but it is his move to make and his life. I think that Tigers people have miscalculated, they have not realized that Americans are increasingly fed up with phoney baloney celebs.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 03:21 am
Quote:
THE Tiger Woods car crash saga has taken another twist, with police poised to demand hospital records to determine at what point the golfer sustained his injuries.

The Florida Highway Patrol is considering applying for a search warrant for Woods' hospital records to help them determine whether he suffered his injuries before, during or after the crash, TMZ reported.

Woods was treated in hospital for cuts to his lips after the crash and has so far refused to talk to police about the incident.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,26421214-912,00.html?from=public_rss

which indicates to me that the cops are willing to try and establish as fact the one and only reasonable explanation of events, domestic violence, and the even rich wives are not completely free to abuse their husbands. The fact that he is able to go many days stonewalling the cops in order to heal and thus destroy evidence is outrageous, of course.

I am no big fan of domestic violence laws as they are written, but as long as we have what we have the rich and the female should not be allowed to avoid them without challenge. It is bad for morale.
dlowan

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 06:31 am
@hawkeye10,
IF Tiger is a victim of domestic violence, then it is certainly in his interests that this be known and acknowledged by important people in his life so that he is supported.

While he would make a great example in promoting understanding of this problem as experienced by men, he is under no obligation to disclose any of his private life publicly.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 07:43 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
While he would make a great example in promoting understanding of this problem as experienced by men, he is under no obligation to disclose any of his private life publicly.

He is however obligated to talk to the agents of the collective who deal with domestic violance, namely the cops. And we the people are free to boycott the tiger brand and to think poorly of him for
1) letting his wife beat on him
2)stonewalling the cops
3) not being honest with us (his consumers and fans) about who he is
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 07:45 pm
Quote:
I'm a huge Tiger fan. If it's Tiger vs. Phil, I root for Tiger, unless Phil is looking like he really needs a boost.

But you can't have it both ways in life. You can't be a celebrity who rakes in tens of millions of dollars by endorsing products and popping up on our TV screen every day, and at the same time demand privacy when you wreck a car in a weird and conspicuous manner and then refuse to meet with the authorities who want to question you about an accident.

Purely as a PR strategy this has been disastrous. This is a story that's on the verge of launching its own cable-TV industry. Dude, you gotta staunch the bleeding!
--

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/achenblog/2009/11/tiger_woods_and_elin_nordegren.html#more
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 07:53 pm
Quote:
News reports have mentioned the big, obvious reason why Woods would want to erase the image of his wife in a jealous rage wielding a golf club. His endorsement deals, reportedly worth billions, depend on his reputation as a "boring" guy, as he likes to call himself, a family man with a wife and two kids and no bouncy, boozy mistress or other tabloid bait in his life. But there is another less obvious reason for Woods to lie (if that's what he's doing): Because of Florida's domestic-violence laws, admitting to the police that Nordegren in any way harmed him would virtually guarantee that the glamorous Elin would be led out of their mansion in handcuffs, even if he protested it.

In 1991, Florida became one of many states to set up a pro-arrest policy in domestic-violence cases. For years, feminist advocates had complained that police treated domestic-violence cases as private, family matters and assumed the abused spouse would never follow through and press charges. Beginning in the 1990s, laws began virtually to force the police to take action. The new statutes direct police to figure out who was the "primary aggressor" in a domestic dispute. They make a call based on a checklist (bruises, disparity of physical size), and then they make an arrest. Howls of protest from the abused spouse are to be ignored: "The decision to arrest and charge shall not require the consent of the victim or consideration of the relationship of the parties," the Florida law reads.
Florida state troopers are trying to get Woods' medical records to investigate whether his injuries are consistent with a car accident or with getting bashed with a golf club. If they find the latter, then Nordegren could well be in trouble. The golf club would be considered a weapon, and Nordegren would be charged with felony-aggravated battery, says Tatum. Because of Florida's domestic-violence statutes, the police would have no choice but to arrest Nordegren, if they have "probable cause" to suspect her, whether Woods pressed charges or not. She would also not be eligible for bond but, rather, would have to stay in jail until her first appearance. She would then join the pantheon of celebrity mug shots, alongside Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton. And the much smaller pantheon of celebrity female abusers: Tawny Kitaen, the chick from the White Snake videos charged in 2002 with committing domestic violence against her then-husband major league baseball player Chuck Finley; Tonya Harding, the ice skater who allegedly threw a hubcap at her former boyfriend; Kim, the demented true love of Eminem; and the wife of Phil Hartman, who shot him in bed. Plus, of course, Lorena Bobbitt.

http://www.slate.com/id/2236957/

Yes, the domestic violence laws are insane, which is a good reason to fix the laws. But so long as the laws are being used as they are to prosecute citizens the rich and the female can not be allowed to evade the laws.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 08:17 pm
Quote:

As you have guessed, the Woods story is about exactly what you think it is about: a huge celebrity, one of the most famous athletes in the world, suffers a mysterious mishap, gives an unsatisfying explanation, and rumors of personal scandal have filled in the void. A big star seems to be trying to hide something that won't stay hidden, and people want to have at it. That's it, and it's that simple.

But whenever a story like this breaks, the first thing that gets exposed is the gap between media outlets, like TMZ, that unashamedly love this kind of story and cover it well, and more-traditional media outlets, who are either uncomfortable with or unsuited to the story, yet finally can't ignore it.

These outlets aren't blind, either to the news or to the interest in it. They are as capable as you of seeing, for instance, that the most searched term at the New York Times website is, as of this morning, Tiger Woods.

Read more: http://tunedin.blogs.time.com/2009/11/30/looking-for-reasons-to-care-about-tiger-woods/?xid=rss-topstories#ixzz0YOnzsrQE

What the bunny needs to remember is that in a consumer society what the consumer demands is THE LAW of the market place . Tiger can snivel all he wants, he took the money, he became a corporate tool using his free will. Live by the sword and ye shall die by the sword...no whining!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 08:39 pm
OMG - I can't believe this generated so much discussion. He' s bigger than his wife, and weighs more - how much spousal abuse can there be? Can he not defend himself? I'm not making light of wifely spousal abuse, but there is a difference. I'm 5'2, weigh 125 - Alex is 6'2 and weighs 220 - almost 100 pounds more. Please. He can defend himself. So can Tiger. Get over it.

This is NONE OF OUR BUSINESS.

All he had was a cut lip for crying out loud. That could have happened a myriad of ways. What do we really know? And who really cares?

Who gives a s...t?
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 08:47 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
Who gives a s...t?

As you have learned in this thread, a great many people. There are several statements to the effect that this is a HUGE story in America. You can sniff that it should not be, but it does not matter. The people decide, the people have decided that this is a big story, and I have reason to believe that it will be the people who will bring Tiger down if he does not get his head out of his ass.
dlowan

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 08:59 pm
@Mame,
Who knows?

Hawkeye knows....this is one of his obsessions.

Wink

What is private or what is the truth has no relevance.....it's hawkeye theatre time.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 08:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yeah, and these people probably watch Judge Judy or Geraldo. It's a minor incident in one person's life. NO BIG DEAL. Why everyone's spending so much time on it, analysing and speculating, is beyond me.

So what if it IS spousal abuse. So bloody what? that's their business and police business. What's it to you and me?

Good bloody grief.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 09:14 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
So what if it IS spousal abuse. So bloody what? that's their business and police business. What's it to you and me?

celebs are public property, in part. If a person wants to be famous and make money off of his fame then he is selling a piece of himself. If I am not mistaken Tiger actually has sold a financial instrument that is some kind of a bond backed by his future income, so he is more public property than the average celeb.

Right now he is giving the public the finger, which will hurt him. Tiger thinks I am sure that the corporate masters will protect him but they can not, certainly not in the Internet age. The public wants what the public is sure is theirs to have, and they will not be denied.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 09:50 pm
While speculating about the private details behind such (frankly not very remarkable) incidents in the lives of celebrities may be entertaining to some, I don't think most people care or are all that interested.

Tiger Woods is an unusually skilled athlete, who got to the top of his sport at an early age and has stayed there ever since. He has not courted public attention and has, to my knowledge, always conducted himself with degrees of reserve and good grace not seen among other attention-seeking and notorious figures in the public view. He certainly has not made himself "public property" in the way that other celebrities have done. He is entitled to a little privacy here.

Moreover, since none of us really knows what happened the speculation is idle and useless at best. The events themselves aren't all that unusual, and he has earned the right to a little privacy in the matter.

Mame is right !
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 10:27 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Mame is right !

if Mame were right Tiger would be playing golf this week, instead he is at home hiding from the people.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 12:11 am
@georgeob1,
The apocalypse is here...I agree with Georgeob.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 12:28 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
I agree with Georgeob.

If anyone comes around looking for advise on how they SHOULD look at the Tiger scandal then maybe Georgeob's words will have some meaning. I am interested in what is, not in giving a morality lecture. So you vote with George, so what.... time will tell in short order how badly Tiger and his brand have been hurt, the popularity of the various opinions is thus of no value.

The point made so far that people don't care is demonstratively false, and I am not surprised that no one has bothered to try to document that opinion. It cant be supported with facts.

I am a big boy, don't bother to piss in my ear and tell me that it is raining,,,,I ain't going for it.
dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 12:49 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I am a big boy, don't bother to piss in my ear and tell me that it is raining,,,,I ain't going for it.

Cool.

Can I piss in it just for fun, then?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 01:22 am
@hawkeye10,
I don't agree that this is a huge story in America. The press are all over it, but yesterday at work it was all college football, a little pro football and no Tiger Woods. No water cooler buzz at all. The gang at work are usually all over an interesting or scandalous story. Sanford's visit to his S. American mistress was the source of countless jokes. Edwards hiding from the National Enquirer the same. Tiger... nothing. Maybe time will tell more.