Tiger Woods in Car Accident

Ionus

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 09:22 pm
@JTT,
Whoever was against the right to vote for women. Which included men and women. So I suppose it was both Homo neanderthalensis and Pan troglodytes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 09:36 pm
@Ionus,
It's a stretch for me to imagine myself with a lot of money, though I had a couple of years there as a kid in a good situation. But, leaping, I can see having money being almost as tricky as not having it, re issues such as trust and love, with being male or female or same sex partners almost neither here nor there. The simple equilibrium problem would/could be major.

On Tiger, he doesn't seem to have a pulse about real life, but maybe this is a start on getting one. He's quitting, really?
Ionus

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 09:44 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
He's quitting, really?
He certainly has enough money...I guess it depends on his motive. If he was sick of playing but continued so he could be stud for a stable then he might very well be serious. If he really is a golfer at heart, then I would have to guess he will be back.
He struck me as a bit immature before all this, a bit of a daddies boy. Found his success in relation to his dad's praise. I want my boys to be more independant than that..to have success measured by more things in life, like a successful marriage.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 09:47 pm
@Ionus,
I figure you and I won't agree on a lot over posting time, but I'll agree on that.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 02:12 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
How did this get to be about the feminists?

Ask spendius. Apparently there were some 'phony feminists' on which he had taken aim - and they seemed to be (in his imagination) within shooting distance of this thread.
Quote:

What do they have to say about Tiger anyways?

I don't know. I don't read feminist literature or commentary. As someone who likes the differences between men and women and appreciates their respective strengths and thinks that this whole male/female arrangement is one of the most satisfying and logical constructs in life - I find the feminist 'down with men' **** just as annoying as the whole 'female as helpless, grasping male- manipulater' (or manipulator - I'm not sure how to spell it) ****.

aidan

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 02:32 am
@aidan,
edit (this is in response to either osso or ionus who brought up lessons parents teach their children).
I hope one thing Tiger does in this situation to teach his own children and show them how to be an autonomous and self sufficient person is to absolutely refuse to apologize to the public or media.
Groveling like that is shameless pandering and prostitution.

He's worth a billion dollars. He makes $20,000,000 a year playing golf. If people don't want to endorse him, so be it. That won't affect his game unless he allows it to.
spendius

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 05:33 am
@aidan,
Blimey!! Sheesh!!

I would have blown the wife out for resorting to violence.
spendius

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 05:39 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Yup, I had the same reaction, but thought better of responding. These guys still live in the 18th c.

A common reaction from those who are past it.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 05:41 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
After all these years I still think Spendy may be putting us on.

I think most of you lot are putting us on.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 05:47 am
@aidan,
Quote:
I think you mean 'whores/wives'. Apparently they're interchangeable and one can't escape being the other (in some peoples' minds).

It is in our minds because the evidence puts it there. The lookers get first pick and guess who they choose. What are we supposed to have in our minds when we see that all the time.
aidan

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 06:44 am
@spendius,
Quote:
I would have blown the wife out for resorting to violence.

Maybe except that only he knows how far he pushed her - and maybe he realizes he pushed her beyond her limit. Maybe he can forgive her for that. Unless this whole 'quitting golf- off on the yacht thing to save my family' is another manipulative ploy to regain the public's admiration, maybe he even realizes for the first time that she actually cares for more about him than just his money and he's placing some trust and value in that, to try to see if and how that angle might work for the marriage.

Again, who knows. She should definitely tell her children though (when they're old enough to read all the stories) that what she did was wrong. She should say, 'Mommy should not have tried to hit Daddy with a golf club. That was wrong. Even though I was really, really upset and angry - I shouldn't have used a golf club to hurt him,' so they'll know that even when they're really, really angry at their brother or sister or friend or future spouse -they shouldn't try to mortally wound them.
aidan

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 06:52 am
@spendius,
Quote:
It is in our minds because the evidence puts it there. The lookers get first pick and guess who they choose. What are we supposed to have in our minds when we see that all the time.

Are you talking about celebrities or regular people? Have you ever thought about the fact that a man who is successful may have other qualities that brought him that success that are attractive to females. Maybe they like the fact that he's intelligent, hardworking and diligent, competent, reliable and responsible - all the things that help someone succeed in life and in work.

My question is - why do some men seem to find it so easy to look past all of those qualities in women to focus on looks and use that as a deciding or determining factor in their own choices?

Although, this is an interesting observation I've made about outward appearances of couples in England as compared to America. In America, it is much more common to see a very attractive female with a less attractive male while here in England, it's the other way around- you see many more attractive males with noticeably less attractive females.

See and I could go with my theory, which is that those men look past looks to find what's beautiful to love about those women and are more prone to do that than men in America are - or I could adopt your theory. All those unattractive girls are heirs to their daddy's fortunes - Lady somebody or other or something and those attractive guys are after the dough.

Only I'm not a cynic.
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 07:11 am
Unlike other scandals (Sandford, Spitzer or the guy caught trying to get a handjob in the Minneapolis Airport stall) this one will have real economic effects. The guy who rents umbrellas at the Spring tournaments just saw his future go sour. Whose going to buy all the $9.00 beers and $12.00 hamburgers? He and the thousands of other people who work on the periphery of the golf industry are likely to see their incomes drop as those people who would normally only come out to see Tiger play, stay home. The TV folks are not going to be happy either. They were just getting back their audience after the last Tiger sabbatical (leg and knee surgery- eight months). So the folks staying home will not be watching and viewing any of those money making ads for cars, Bose radios and high priced aftershave.

Hang in there everybody.

The Masters is in April.

The winner will be wearing a Black Nike hat and a red shirt.

Joe(we will all swoon.)Nation
spendius

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 10:31 am
@aidan,
Quote:
Maybe except that only he knows how far he pushed her - and maybe he realizes he pushed her beyond her limit.

We men will have to hope that juries don't take any notice of that defence otherwise I fear a few of us might not make it to the Saints/Falcons game tomorrow. Short fuses and No 3 irons don't go very well together in my opinion. It's actually threatening behaviour. We all know how you ladies have learned how to act having been taken beyond your limits from the soap operas which have such an endless supply of female acting talent that it is safe to assume it is easy to do. I've heard of juries having to be issued with tissues to mop up the tears.

Not that I'm implying that you couldn't always act. The soaps teach how to act to get a modern jury weeping. It would have been laughed at by juries in the past in the days when women were not even allowed to give evidence, never mind vote, such was the esteem in which their acting was held.

If theories are in order, just for fun I mean, I think mine is the most entertaining. That his mechanical swing, which if practiced enough can overcome the natural sportsman, was starting to break down which is understandable with all these gorgeous women throwing themselves in his path and with his wife being at home and at some distance. Even St Anthony would have been hard pressed under such circumstances and his temptations hadn't been presented in the manner approved of by the American beauty industry.

So if he needed an excuse to explain the making way for the young bloods snapping at his shoeshined heels which the more masculine element could understand and accept, and that media would just love to bits, as a bonus, on account of the bottomless puerility of the audience regarding the matter in hand, it was a win/win situation.

Can Elin not be had up for causing a traffic accident? Or conduct likely to cause a breach of the peace on a public highway.

Quote:
, maybe he even realizes for the first time that she actually cares for more about him than just his money and he's placing some trust and value in that, to try to see if and how that angle might work for the marriage.

Oh, come on now Rebecca. There are men of the world on this thread besides readers of Ladies' Home Journal. Think of all those honest to goodness young men back in Stockholm who saw such a prize slip from their grasp to join the ranks of the G.I. brides. And with Tiger being all over the world week by week she must only have had a short window of opportunity.

And what an example to set for the kids to see her bashing their father's car with a golfing iron and risking his life and limb. Millions of women have been in her position but not many have had resort to that sort of thing. We had one who scissored all the legs and sleeves off her husband's extensive wardrobe and we thought that a bit extreme. Is she so special?

It certainly is difficult to imagine, given the nature of the kiss-and-tell brigade, that Tiger expected to get away with it for long and he must therefore have had a plan.

Bernard Shaw had said that if women were given the vote we would all end up on the ovarian trolley and here we are talking about little else. It was first on the news today. Again. Ahead of Copenhagen and Afghanistan and banker's salaries.

As I have said-- swinging a golf iron at me and she would be up the road. I might think I would have to tie her up before taking a nap. At full moons anyway.

spendius

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 10:51 am
@aidan,
Quote:
Are you talking about celebrities or regular people? Have you ever thought about the fact that a man who is successful may have other qualities that brought him that success that are attractive to females. Maybe they like the fact that he's intelligent, hardworking and diligent, competent, reliable and responsible - all the things that help someone succeed in life and in work.

That's very funny Rebecca.

Quote:
Although, this is an interesting observation I've made about outward appearances of couples in England as compared to America. In America, it is much more common to see a very attractive female with a less attractive male while here in England, it's the other way around- you see many more attractive males with noticeably less attractive females.

That will be because the less attractive females are more likely to have learned some domestic skills than the lookers usually do and Englishmen are more interested in the practice of those than in having a trophy on their arm who consents to a 7 minuter once a week. I often think when I see a successful chap with a plain Jane that he must be very well looked after at home. We often have reason to remark in the pub when we see an attractive woman with a dopey looking chap that he must be well hung. Mailer mentions that sort of thing in Tough Guys Don't Dance.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 11:17 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe(got it right)Nation, And we must not forget the hotel industry that will suffer because they won't have the opportunity to see Tiger play. There are economy hotels that sell rooms at about $100/nite, but how about those high tone places where they get $400+/nite? They'll miss out in their bars too! They're going to all "suffer."
spendius

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 12:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
We men might rehabilitate Tiger if we try ci. All this "suffering" you speak of is conditioned on the Lady interest being the predominant cultural imperitive. It measures how much under the thumb you all are.

The traditional justification of the woman getting mad enough to wield a seriously offensive weapon (it was not a golf iron at the time--it was a club) was that she had surrendered her virginity to her husband. Catholic theology supported her in that respect.

In these liberal times virginity is valueless and therefore the justification vanishes. Did Elin surrender her virginity to Tiger?

And what is the alternative? It can only be that Elin thought she had a lock on Tiger. That he was a prisoner of a monopoly supplier. Pussy whipped. And the ladies on here, and to their shame some of the males, are in favour of such restraints. But from what I can gather they are not in favour of the rest of the Catholic theological restraints. No siree. Not even the one about putting your own offspring to gruesome death inside evolution's protective shield.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 12:53 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
And what is the alternative? It can only be that Elin thought she had a lock on Tiger. That he was a prisoner of a monopoly supplier. Pussy whipped.

Tiger being the ballless wonder that he is it is probable that she thought that she had him under her thumb, and that her rage was a result of her coming face to face with just how wrong she was.

This idiotic sabbatical from golf is very likely her doing, as Elin is determined to teach Tiger that she is more important than golf, that she is in charge.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 01:01 pm
@spendius,
spendi, You use a huge brush where no brush really exists in general. Not all women are controlling or dependent on men. You need to get a life beyond your local pub to learn about the realities of this planet before you find yourself six feet under with your headstone's marker with "Ignoramus" on it.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 01:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Not all women are controlling or dependent on men

I think that we can all agree that at least one woman could be found that is not controlling or dependent upon a man, thus you statement is true. It is besides the topic of the thread however. The question is does Elin run the relationship between her and Tiger, and we don't know because we know little about them. What we do know however indicates that she does.