Two severed fingers of Galileo found 300 years later

Ionus

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 09:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
You must mean a north american possum....ours would never do such a thing and this can be proven by statistics and computer future modelling.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 09:50 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

You must mean a north american possum....ours would never do such a thing and this can be proven by statistics and computer future modelling.

And here is your proof!
http://i48.tinypic.com/2u5qt8h.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 10:00 pm
I've had some meetings with parts of st catherine of siena, of whom I wasn't a fan in the first place.
oh, wait, what would she think upon meeting me at bagno vignoni?

I am interested in the history of all this.

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 10:06 pm
@ossobuco,
What was left of the anorexic saint to make a relic? Wink
ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 10:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
Taps my own brain, was it her tongue? You can just look this up. Another part of her was deposited, perhaps, at Sta Maria Sopra Minerva.

I liked the church in Siena, the basilica. I'm so old that I am over digestive rolfs re churches. I got a kick out of her teen visit to bagno vignoni, look, look, roiling boiling water...

Tsar, your are dealing with a fair cynic. I'm not completely making fun though - I am not fully against belief, though that is not my way.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 10:39 pm
@ossobuco,
I believe you. I'm just making a note on this particular saint and the other anorexic saints who allegedly survived on eating just thistle seed for stretches at a time.

I wrote a 16+ page research paper (not including the footnotes and bibliography on the subject) in my Medieval European history class.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 10:44 pm
@tsarstepan,
Really? I'd be interested in that,.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 10:58 pm
@ossobuco,
I ended up writing outlines for something like 48 piazza and their histories.. as my interest started to turn to no name piazzas re how cities work. I had a good publisher waiting, and then dealt with divorce. My project is now poo, but I remain interested in the general subject re how towns worked. Siena, a key place.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 10:59 pm
@ossobuco,
I used to have two great books on the subject:
Holy Anorexia by Rudolph M. Bell and Holy Feast and Holy Fast: The Religious Significance of Food to Medieval Women by Caroline Walker Bynum.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Holy-Anorexia/Rudolph-M-Bell/e/9780226042053/?itm=2&USRI=anorexic+saints
and
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0520063295/ref=nosim/librarything08-20

I would have sent them to you but for some reason like several dozen books I once owned ... have disappeared without a trace as they never made the journey with me to NYC. I would have kept them so I think my sister or my mother must have borrowed them or got arbitrarily rid of them.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 11:02 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I ended up writing outlines for something like 48 piazza and their histories.. as my interest started to turn to no name piazzas re how cities work. I had a good publisher waiting, and then dealt with divorce. My project is now poo, but I remain interested in the general subject re how towns worked. Siena, a key place.

Well... color me impressed. That's more impressive then an undergraduate paper which depended on very little primary sources. Very Happy
ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 11:04 pm
@tsarstepan,
Well, we read some similar suff.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 11:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
An ironic twist as the fates would have it, I do have the book Fast and Feast: Food in Medieval Society by Bridget Ann Henisch which was not use to me in terms of that research paper.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 11:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
Whatever, same tweaks of interest.
My connections were good, nice arch publisher, but I blew them.
I'm still interested in what interested me in the first place.
roger

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 11:13 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Well... color me impressed. That's more impressive then an undergraduate paper which depended on very little primary sources. Very Happy

That's okay. Around here, a primary source is known as anecdotal.
tsarstepan

@ossobuco,
You ever think about writing some kind of historical work of fiction using what you gathered (research wise)?
ossobuco

@ossobuco,
Suff, oy.

My key interest is in what I think of as pedestrian culture - and piazzas and plazas and many similar words including squares. I am relentlessly interested.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 11:15 pm
@roger,
I still have that historian's bias towards primary sources and against secondary works.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 11:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
No, but I occasionally think of doing my original piazza book. I figure the publisher would still pick it up. Lot of work and my elder life intervenes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 11:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
On italian piazzas, the primary sources are not available to me, whatever multitudes of stuff I've read. Send me a plane ticket..

Part of the problem is that I started to get over magnifico piazzas and just liked found places - and how those related to how a city works. Which is to say, I shut myself up. I could have written that all up, and still might, but really, claim points diminish.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 11:30 pm
@ossobuco,
How's your Italian?
0 Replies