Neighbours from hell!

dlowan

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 06:59 pm
We've just had some doozeys move in across the road.

They announced their presence with a party in their back garden that went on until 3.00 am on a Tuesday night.

I know when it ended, because the departing guests all revved the **** out of their hoon cars, turned the doof doof up high, and screamed affectionate abuse at each other for 20 minutes on the street, which woke me up just after the party noise had finally been defeated by extreme sleepiness.

The next morning, at 6.00 am, they got up and went to work (or perhaps the final drunks left then?) because the 20 minutes of revving, doof doof and affectionate screamed abuse happened again, but only between two men.

Since then, it has been quieter....just the odd car crap, and some yelling.

Well, I just called the police.....which, of course, made the drama cease immediately (Murphy's Law, they couldn't have heard me call).

This time, they took it up and down the street.

I don't know what exactly was happening, (trees conceal the street below me) but it sounded as though someone was being beaten up.......lots of what seemed like hitting/kicking noises, and frenzied yelling to "Don't say ANYTHING!!! Don't even ******* TALK!" repeated endlessly.

No noise from whoever was being yelled at. Someone on a bicycle stopped, and also used their phone.

Lovely!

I used to have neighbours who were also extremely noisy.

I mean, their parties were on the verge of unbearable, (they came over to warn me about one. They looked very anxious, and kept saying to let them know if it was too loud. I finally asked why they were so worried. It seems the previous owners of my house had gone berserk one night, doubtless driven mad by the noise....they actually blew their stereo up on one joyous occasion....and come over armed with an axe!) but just their VOICES were enough to make you want to euthanase them.

One day, I had a tradesperson working in my front living room, when I heard such terrible screaming that my heart nearly stopped.

Thinking the poor man had cut his hand off, I ran to his aid. We cannoned into each other as he ran from the room, thinking I was being killed!

The noise came from next door.

One of the guys was a little upset because a neighbour's cat had left paw marks on his car bonnet.

Got stories?

Funny? Awful?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 4,717 • Replies: 42
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 07:03 pm
@dlowan,
Argh!

That's the worst.

I can stand a lot of things if I can go home and decompress afterwards. If it's happening right at home... argh.

Maybe they're types that will either fail to pay their rent or fail to make mortgage payments and will get booted out soon enough...? One can hope.

I've been mostly lucky, though we did have a meth lab next door for a while in Madison. And I once lived on the first floor of a duplex -- when I could still hear a lot better -- and the thumping of the workbooted, pacey fella upstairs drove me absolutely insane.
sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 07:12 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

I know when it ended, because the departing guests all revved the **** out of their hoon cars, turned the doof doof up high, and screamed affectionate abuse at each other for 20 minutes on the street, which woke me up just after the party noise had finally been defeated by extreme sleepiness.

The next morning, at 6.00 am, they got up and went to work (or perhaps the final drunks left then?) because the 20 minutes of revving, doof doof and affectionate screamed abuse happened again, but only between two men.

I love this description by the way.

Australia: Nation of Frat Boys.
(and brilliant, if intimidating, bunnies)

(We just watched "Holy Grail" the other night! E.G. and sozlet had never seen it, I hadn't seen it captioned [saw it when I couldn't hear well and missed most of the verbal stuff, though there's plenty of physical silliness as well]. We loved the first half, but had to stop watching before killer bunny.)
dlowan

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 07:15 pm
@sozobe,
I was a bad neighbour once...quite by accident.

My bestest cat of all time, Phoebe, was entranced by paper...especially paper money!!! She adored to play with it, and money is quite crisp and stiff, and skitters across the floor really well.

One day we discovered that she had been raiding the household kitty, which was in an open tea tin. We found there was hardly any paper money in there when we went to go shopping, and, after some awkward moments, thought of the cat, and found the money under the sofa, in the cushions, behind doors etc.

We got a lid.

Foiled, Phoebe went hunting for fuel for her obsession.

It seems she was an accomplished cat burglar, as, one day, she came in to wake me, chirruping happily, with $200 in her mouth!!!

What a shameful tour of the neighbouring houses THAT was.

"The CAT took it!!"

dlowan

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 07:16 pm
@sozobe,
The Bunny's the best part!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 07:19 pm
@dlowan,
Arghhhh! There goes the neighbourhood!

Bugger.

My sympathy, Deb.

My neighbours from hell left a few months ago. Out of the blue. They sold up & moved out! Surprised

I felt all my Christmases had come at once!!! Very Happy

More later, when I have a bit more time. (I just know you'll be fascinated in the details! Wink Laughing )

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 07:34 pm
no story to tell, at least not one I haven't already told here.

noisy neighbors....the worst.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 07:35 pm
uh.....what's a doof doof?
Ceili

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 07:42 pm
I live in a condo. I've been listening to my neighbour rebuild his house for the last eight hours. The thing is, they never even bothered to tell me they were going to do this. I think they've completely torn out the bathroom, I've been listening to a sawsal, hammers more hammers, drills and yet more hammers all day long.
I'm about ready to knock their front door in.
I'm trying to quit smoking too... Evil or Very Mad
ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 07:47 pm
@chai2,
I had one memorable big party (just went by the former house yesterday, now a multistory apt/condo mediocrity, with the real neighborhood still holding on a block south)... when I wisely asked the landlords who lived below. I asked, I remember it, 125 people to my one bedroom apartment over a house. Was I insane? I suppose so. Great party, I must say. The key was, I asked them, and they forebore with the party. I never did (that particular thing) again.

Ok, so, I have some sympathy. On the other hand, the forever noise thing, I'm onto the city or police. I won one of those by attrition.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 07:48 pm
@Ceili,
Geez, Ceili. I'm breathing in and out for you.
dlowan

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 07:52 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

uh.....what's a doof doof?

2. doof doof

Dance or techno music, usually played loudly in P (Australian Probationary License) plater cars. The P platers usually hoon around town doing Imfamous planned out laps while listening to Mega Doof Doof.

"Oh My God!! Look there's Stanley doing blockies with some doof doof on!"
"...Soak up the doof doof"
"Sweet Doof Doof!"
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 07:53 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Geez, Ceili. I'm breathing in and out for you.

Ditto
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 07:55 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm pretty tolerant of parties....I have them, too.

Takes a lot to get me riled.

CONSTANT noise, though.

I called the cops today because I was scared someone was being hurt.

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 08:02 pm
@dlowan,
Love it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 08:08 pm
I wrote about the dips across the street on another thread. But, I neglected to mention how they put enough crap in the front yard to furnish a small house. For about a month it stayed there, mostly covered by a blue tarp. Finally, for the next month, they began having weekly garage sales. To top it off, half a dozen cars are usually in the yard, and at least two of them actually reside on the front porch. They watch TV there, and apparently sleep there. About four days ago, I noticed they had cleaned up the yard. The looks I got from them told me they suspected it was me sic-ed the neighborhood committee on them. So it goes - -
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 08:09 pm
@dlowan,
I've had some doozy experiences, too.

In Vancouver, I lived across from a crack house. I could tell you some stories, for sure. Suffice it to say, one night I had the SWAT team hunkered down in my home, eyeballs glued to the crackhouse, looking for a certain murderer. They got him in the end and I got a couple of SWAT t-shirts.

Okay, okay another one.

The government releases mental patients (please excuse the coarse term) to 'homes' where they pay the patient's rent directly to the landlord. I doubt any government people ever check the places out after the initial visit. This crack house had about 10 boarders. Well, a room became vacant and they moved in a mental patient and her 2 kids. (I only found this out after.) I came home one night to a load of CAUTION tape stripped across the street. I park and head oro one of the cops. After a little discussion, turns out the lady was a dope dealer and tried to rip off a drug dealer, but her hubby came by for a visit just as he was threatening her so he beat him to death with a baseball bat. In the middle of the street. In front of everyone.

Needless to say, we were outta there toute suite.
dlowan

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 08:33 pm
@Mame,
Bloody hell!!!!!

I have twice lived in places that used to be brothels.

The first time, we had no idea, because the place had moved across the road. Then their landlord's wife discovered who the tenants were, and they moved.

The old customers figured (I suppose because we were a share household, and there were men coming and going a lot) they had moved back to our place.

At that time (mid seventies) although we lived in the middle of the city, we never locked our doors. This was one of those places that attracted lots of friends all the time (including the middle of the night, as Sally and I finished work very late, and our fellas and friends knew our schedule), so there always seemed to be people around.

Anyhoo, very late one night, beloved and I were sleeping peacefully, when a drunk ( a BIG one) careered into my bedroom......asking "Is this the "health studio:?"

Beloved, who was a quick, if evil, thinker, immediately said: "Oh, sorry mate, there's only one on tonight, and I have booked her all night."

As I spluttered and protested, the drunk left like a lamb.

Beloved explained, against my indignant protests, that this was the easiest and least dangerous way of getting rid of him.

We locked the door after that. A surprising number of seedy looking men were keen on improving their health that year.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 08:38 pm
@dlowan,
Smile to dlowan.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 08:45 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, that sounded saccharine even to me. Ignore it.
0 Replies