please check my Education Certificate for me

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 12:15 am
The following is my Education Certificate, please correct it if you find any mistake. Thanks a lot.

This is to certify that Jin Min, female, born on April 6, 1988, student ID 06510498, is now studying in the four-year bachelor program at Shanghai University of Sport. She has been enrolled in the College of Sports Humanities, majoring in Journalism from September 2006 to present. And she is expected to be awarded the Certificate of Graduation and admitted to the Degree of Bachelor of Arts on July 1, 2010, if she will have met all the requirements as stipulated in the program by that time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 861 • Replies: 10
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 12:54 am
@jinmin1988,
Quote:
She has been enrolled in the College of Sports Humanities, majoring in Journalism from September 2006 to present

If present is to be used the certificate should be dated elsewhere. Imagine showing this certificate to someone in 10 years time present would indicate you are still in education

Quote:
And she is expected to be awarded the Certificate of Graduation and admitted to the Degree of Bachelor of Arts on July 1

Never start a sentance with "And".

Quote:
if she will have met all the requirements as stipulated in the program by that time.

I'd just leave that sentence out completely. The preceeding sentence "She is expected...." indicates you are expected to pass which means you need to meet the requirments. If you dont you wont pass.

By the way WELL DONE! Thats a HUGE achievement and you deserve to be congatulated.
jinmin1988

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 01:13 am
@dadpad,
Thank you for your reply.

Quote:
I'd just leave that sentence out completely.

I think you are reasonable, but this is a bilingual Education Certificate, so I have to follow the Chinese edition. Could you please correct it instead of leaving it out completely.(Do you think "will have met" is uncorrect and should be "meet"?)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 01:26 am
@jinmin1988,
jinmin1988 wrote:

. . . if she will have met all the requirements as stipulated in the program by that time.

Well, if you must keep it, say "if she has met all the requirements as stipulated in the program at that time.

I add my congratulations.
dadpad

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 01:28 am
Quote:
if she will have met

if she HAS met all the requirements as stipulated in the program by that time.
or
if she meets the requirments....

If you agree with me, a short note explaining your stance may cause your education board to review the wording. Perhaps its a deliberate attempt to test you.
0 Replies

jinmin1988

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 01:28 am
@roger,
Thank you Roger, I remember you!
0 Replies

jinmin1988

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 01:40 am
Quote:
is now studying in the four-year bachelor program at Shanghai University of Sport.

Do you think "of" is better than "at" in this sentence?
dadpad

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 01:42 am
@jinmin1988,
at is the best choice.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 11:22 pm
@dadpad,
Quote:
Never start a sentance with "And".

And that is absolute nonsense, Dadpad. And the following will help explain why.

Quote:
Also, check the back seat
November 7, 2009 @ 9:45 am
Filed by Mark Liberman under Prescriptivist Poppycock

Reader FW asked for some advice about a nanowrimo discussion of "Ands and buts", which started Nov. 3 with this question:

So this is one that always get [sic] me.

Grammatically speaking, or however it is known, can you use Ands and Buts at the beginning of sentences? And can you use it at the start of dialogue as well?

A participant using the name pointytilly links to Paul Brians' list of "non-errors" in defense of the view that sentence-initial and and but are "grammatically correct". And indeed they are, according to essentially everyone with any plausible claim to expertise, prescriptivists and descriptivists alike.

As Arnold Zwicky wrote ("However,…" 11/1/2006):

Mark notes that the AHD [American Heritage Dictionary] note for and rejects NIC ["No Initial Coordinators"] out of hand, and he provides a smorgasbord of cites (and statistics) from reputable authors. Similarly MWDEU [Merriam Webster Dictionary of English Usage]. Paul Brians, collector of common errors in English, labels sentence-initial coordinators a "non-error". Bryan Garner denies, all over the place, that NIC has any validity. Even the curmudgeonly Robert Hartwell Fiske tells his readers that there's absolutely nothing wrong with sentence-initial coordinators. A point of usage and style on which Liberman and I and the AHD and the MWDEU stand together with Brians and Garner and Fiske (and dozens of other advice writers) is, truly, not a disputed point. NIC is crap.

[read on at]

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=1872

Quote:
Initial coordinators in technical, academic, and formal writing

November 8, 2009 @ 11:04 am

Filed by Mark Liberman under Prescriptivist Poppycock

Yesterday, I quoted someone writing on the nanowrimo forum ("Also, check the back seat", 11/7/2009), who offered an apparently irrefutable argument in favor of "No Initial Coordinators" (NIC), the zombie rule that forbids us to begin a sentence with a conjunction such as and or but:

[read on at]

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=1875#more-1875

0 Replies

jinmin1988

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 08:29 pm
@jinmin1988,
Quote:
And she is expected to be awarded the Certificate of Graduation and admitted to the Degree of Bachelor of Arts on July 1, 2010, if she will have met all the requirements as stipulated in the program by that time.

Could I leave “admitted to” out to make the sentence more clear?

roger

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 08:57 pm
@jinmin1988,
I would keep it. If nothing else, it shows the intent to continue with the education. It also clarifies the meaning of the entire sentence.

Like dadpad, I would drop the "And" at the beginning of this sentence. It may not be technically incorrect, but I wouldn't use it in formal writing.

0 Replies