Walmart Listens to its Lawyers??

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 08:42 pm
Quote:
Wal-Mart to keep stores open to ease Black Friday

By JILL ZEMAN BLEED
The Associated Press
Wednesday, November 11, 2009; 6:22 PM

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Wal-Mart Stores said Wednesday it will keep its stores open 24 hours and take new crowd-control measures Thanksgiving weekend after a temporary employee was trampled to death in a Black Friday rush last year.

The world's largest retailer says day-after-Thanksgiving sales will begin at 5 a.m. Nov. 27, but most U.S. stores will be open 24 hours to prevent a mad dash. The announcement doesn't affect most of Wal-Mart's Supercenters, which are already open 24 hours. Spokesman David Tovar said the change affects about 800 stores that aren't currently open round-the-clock.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/11/AR2009111119803.html?hpid=moreheadlines

I argued strenuously last year that Walmart was criminally negligent in the death at its NY state store. I wonder if the Lawyers agreed with me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,049 • Replies: 5
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 08:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
walmart certainly has to take some responsibility, but the morons that will trample somebody for a george forman grill are wastes of valuable air
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 01:08 am
Let it be known that I, for one, have absolutely no intention of approaching any department store or similar outlet on the Friday following Thanksgiving even if merchandise is being given away for free. I have no comprehension whatever as to what makes people act that way, why shopping on 'Black Friday' is even tolerated. It's obvious mass insanity.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 01:31 am
@Merry Andrew,
because it gins up consumption, which is in the best interests of the corporate class. It is sold as being the celebration of the American way, which is BS. The American way is democracy, truth, justice, freedom, and the pursuit of happiness, none of which is much advanced by gorging on consumption.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 10:50 pm
Quote:
Wal-Mart was required to create improved crowd management plans for all its 92 New York stores as part of a deal with prosecutors that avoided criminal charges in the trampling death.

It also was required to set up a $400,000 victims' compensation fund, and give $1.5 million to social services programs and nonprofit groups. The agreement included no admission of guilt by Wal-Mart.

As part of the settlement, Wal-Mart consulted with safety experts who've worked with the Super Bowl, Olympics, major concerts and national political conventions to come up with safety plans for each of its stores. Crowd-management staff should make sure people are orderly as they enter the store, while maps may be provided with locations of Black Friday deals, according to the safety recommendations

http://www.comcast.net/articles/finance/20091111/US.Wal.Mart.Black.Friday/
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 07:51 am
@Merry Andrew,
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/iphone_or_droid.png
0 Replies