• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,954 • Replies: 23

dlowan

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 06:39 am
@dadpad,
Good grief.

But...why does exploding ONE cow make them ALL explode?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 06:43 am
to save your cows from esploding keep the flame high.
dlowan

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 06:47 am
@dadpad,
Yes, I get that.

But it's just wrong that exploding one gets 'em all.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 07:16 am
@dadpad,
Is it only cattle that release methane gas when they fart?
msolga

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 07:20 am
@msolga,
I mean, you never hear concerns expressed about any other creature's farting & the consequences for the environment.
dlowan

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 07:25 am
@msolga,
Many humans do:

Quote:
According to Dr. James L. A. Roth, the author of Gastrointestinal Gas (Ch. 17 in Gastroenterology, v. 4, 1976) most people (2/3 of adults) pass farts that contain no methane. If both parents are methane producers, their children have a 95% chance of being producers as well. The reason for this is apparently unknown. Some researchers suspect a genetic influence, whereas others think the ability is due to environmental factors. However, all methane in any farts comes from bacterial action and not from human cells.

And many ruminants, it seems:

Quote:
The domestic animal population has increased by 0.5 to 2.0 percent per year during the last century, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) report Policy Options for Stabilizing Global Climate (Lashof and Tirpak 1990). Figure 4-14 of the report shows the upward trend in domestic animal populations. One result of this population increase is that emissions from livestock have become a significant source of atmospheric methane. In fact, domestic animals currently account for about 15 percent of the annual anthropogenic methane emissions.

Much of the world's livestock are ruminants--such as sheep, goats, camel, cattle, and buffalo--who have a unique, four-chambered stomach. In the chamber called the rumen, bacteria break down food and generate methane as a by-product. The production rate is affected by factors such as quantity and quality of feed, body weight, age, and exercise, and varies among animal species as well as among individuals of the same species. Chapter 4 of the EPA report provides an overview of livestock methane emissions.

In "Methane Emissions from Animals," Lerner, Matthews, and Fung (1988) estimate that of the annual global production of 400 to 600 Tg (1Tg=1 million tons) of methane, enteric fermentation in domestic animals contributes approximately 65 to 85 Tg. The authors present a global high-resolution database of methane emissions from animals (including cattle, water buffalo, sheep, goats, camels, pigs, horses, and caribou). Plates 1a-1h illustrate global distribution of animal populations and methane emission. Table 1 shows population statistics and associated methane emissions for seven animal types for 1984; table 2 presents total annual methane emissions by domestic animals for several countries in 1984; and table 3 shows latitudinal distribution of 1984 methane emissions by animal type and of total annual emissions by domestic animals.

Leng (1993) provides data on world ruminant population densities, estimated methane production rates, and factors influencing methane production in "Quantitative Ruminant Nutrition - A Green Science." The author estimates that ruminants on low quality feeds produce more than 75 percent of the total livestock methane emissions.

http://www.ciesin.org/TG/AG/liverear.html

And, an abstract:

Quote:
Donald E. Johnson1 and Gerald M. Ward1(1) Department of Animal Sciences, Colorado State University, 80523 Fort Collins, CO, USA

Abstract The enteric methane emissions into the atmospheric annually from domestic animals total about 77 Tg. Another 10 to 14 Tg are likely released from animal manure disposal systems. About 95% of global animal enteric methane is from ruminants, a consequence of their large populations, body size and appetites combined with the extensive degree of anaerobic microbial fermentation occurring in their gut. Accurate methane estimates are particularly sensitive to cattle and buffalo census numbers and estimated diet consumption. Since consumption is largely unknown and must be predicted, accuracy is limited often by the information required, i.e., distribution of animals by class, weight and productivity. Fraction of the diet lost as enteric methane mostly falls into the range of 5.5"6.5% of gross energy intake for the world's cattle, sheep and goats. Manure methane emissions are heavily influenced by fraction of disposal by anaerobic lagoon. Non-ruminants, i.e., swine, become major contributors to these emissions.
Fulltext Preview (Small, Large)

Thorpe, Andy (2008)

http://www.springerlink.com/content/h307k69711m5nh00/

dlowan

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 07:31 am
@dlowan,
http://www.scribd.com/doc/3610745/Methane-Production-in-Rumen-of-Ruminant-Animal-and-Green-House-Effect-on-Environment

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 07:33 am
@dlowan,
Interesting, Deb.

And maybe other creatures as well?

Perhaps cattle are getting a bum wrap, unfairly copping all the blame?

A thought: is there some test, to find out if one is a methane producer? It sounds like a good idea to avoid marrying another one, if one is! Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 07:36 am
@dlowan,
Ah. You added more!

Quote:
... domestic animals currently account for about 15 percent of the annual anthropogenic methane emissions.

Hmmmm ...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 07:44 am
Thanks, Deb! I know know heaps more about this subject than I did half an hour ago! Smile
dlowan

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 07:58 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Thanks, Deb! I know know heaps more about this subject than I did half an hour ago! Smile

I'm your Bunny when it comes to farts.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 01:22 pm
I have always found it ironically amusing when the more fanatical of the green types complain about large herds of livestock. After all, they replaced much larger herds of bison, elk, antelope, etc., etc. (at least that is true in North America). Of course, it is perhaps not politically correct to take notice of the farts of those now marginalized grazing animals . . .
Ionus

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 05:16 pm
@msolga,
It was my understanding that there are two main types of bacteria in a mammalian stomach. Ones that produce methane and chlorides and ones that produce sulphides. It is the sulphide ones that smell really rotten. The ratio of these two main types depends on diet. Fish fart also. Will we be eliminating all animals for Global Warming ?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 12:28 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

After all, they replaced much larger herds of bison, elk, antelope, etc., etc.

I have no data to back this up but it would be my assumption that improved grass types and animal husbandry allow domesticted livestock to exist in at least equal numbers.
I wonder if dinosaurs farted.
dlowan

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 12:47 am
@dadpad,
Also, one assumes there to have been vast forests and grasslands to absorb said farts!!!
Ionus

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 12:59 am
@dlowan,
Global Warming occured at the end of the Dinosaur era and the forests died back at the same time the grasses and flowers evolved. It was actually suggested by at least one scientists that the dinosaurs may have farted themselves to death by increasing the greenhouse gases. It has also been suggested that the higher levels of potassium in flowers may have caused dinosaur eggs to become brittle and this caused their extinction. Whichever, the air cleared and here we are...
oolongteasup

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 03:14 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
Global Warming occured at the end of the Dinosaur era and the forests died back at the same time the grasses and flowers evolved... the dinosaurs may have farted themselves to death by increasing the greenhouse gases... the higher levels of potassium in flowers may have caused dinosaur eggs to become brittle and this caused their extinction. Whichever

that would explain lucy getting up on her high horse and decamping

not necessarily in search of more eggs

Ionus

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 03:17 am
@oolongteasup,
The first horses were the size of a fox. This was a safety feature to prevent riders from being thrown. Insurance was hell in those days.
oolongteasup

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 03:23 am
@Ionus,
actuarially inclined monkeys invented betting to assuage their saturdays

tables came much later
0 Replies