Pet Diagnosed with H1N1 Virus

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 10:49 am
Until now, most people did not believe that a dog or cat could get the swine flu. Now it seems that there is one case on record:

http://www.weather.com/multimedia/videoplayer.html?clip=15674&from=36hr_outlet_video

There are medications for dogs with the flu, but not yet any for cats.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 3,183 • Replies: 24
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 10:50 am
it's now painfully obvious that we must destroy every dog and cat on the planet
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 10:59 am
@djjd62,
We're Embarrassed going to return to the Dark Ages when cats were hunted down and slaughtered in mass because of allegations of witchcraftery Exclamation The Great Cat Massacres of the Middle Ages!

We don't need you djjd62 to rile up the pitchfork and torch wielding mob!
You evil instigator, YOU!

Wink
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 11:00 am
@djjd62,
Hear, hear.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 11:02 am
@tsarstepan,
i don't have a pitchfork or torch

i've got a tuning fork and a laser pointer, we could annoy the cats to death
DrewDad

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 12:22 pm
@djjd62,
You've got a recipe there for "hairball in the slipper."
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 12:38 pm
@Phoenix32890,
They have medications for dogs - I can't even get it for my kids yet! I just called the doctor's today and then said to check in again next week. Each week I keep calling and it is we expect it soon, but we are not sure when.

And I've never had a problem at my doctor's before - even that year when there was a low supply of the regular flu - they had it and daughters were able to be vaccinated.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:05 pm
Why is everyone so concerned about H1N1? I know it's spread world-wide but the only place on earth where it became a serious life-and-death problem was Mexico. Everywhere else where the virus has appeared, it's been no different (i.e. no worse) than any other type of flu -- can be fatal to infants, old people and those with exceptionally weak constitutions, just a discomfort and nuisance for the rest of us.
roger

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:10 pm
@Merry Andrew,
We are afraid it will mutate to a more lethal form. I worry that if it does, the current immunizations won't work against the mutated form.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:10 pm
Where would your pet get swine flu? From having illicit sex with a pig?
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:20 pm
@Sglass,
Well, it's better than illicit sex with a horse. Laughing
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:27 pm
@Merry Andrew,
And I've gotten my children the seasonal flu as well - I am taking the same precautions as the regular flu.
Ceili

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 03:06 pm
This flu is quite different from other flu virus in that it is killing pregnant women and fat people. It's not killing the aged because most of them are immune due to a strain in 1957.
Teenagers and kids are dying too.
It is now the only virus in BC. But hockey players are getting priority. Only in Canada eh!
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 03:08 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

And I've gotten my children the seasonal flu as well - I am taking the same precautions as the regular flu.

How thoughtful! Early Christmas gift? Wink
Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 03:10 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

It's not killing the aged because most of them are immune due to a strain in 1957.

******Paranoia Alert******

Bullshit! There is a great example of a plot to kill off old people who use a lot of medical services. Twisted Evil
ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 03:11 pm
@Ceili,
Yes, what I've read suggests it's quite different in that it seems to be most dangerous to young, healthy people. Quite concerning.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 03:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
Funny story on that getting the shot. I'm at the doctor's office for my youngest normal annual and I let them know that she will be getting the flu shot. The doctor won't give it as she doesn't want the kids to be frightened of her so they have a nurse come in.

While we were waiting I explained to her that she would be getting a shot and why to prepare her. Well the wait was getting to be over 15 minutes - I walk out to see what the hold up is and they have only 1 nurse as the other just left and another was out that day or some such thing. So I get impatient and say, let's just go and the little monster yells, "What mom, you want me to get really really sick - you don't care about me!!!!" Fortunately the nurse showed up shortly after that - what kid in their right mind wants a shot? I guess I really sold it well.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 04:05 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Ummm, I highly doubt it. Why aren't old people dying then?
I think if anyone's paranoid it would be you, not me eh!
Viruses aren't magic, they evolve and change. But the root is still pretty much the same and they are always about. This is just another strain of the same thing... If you came in contact with any virus you probably have immunity built in. Why is this so surprising?
Most people don't get repeats of chicken pox, measles - why because they have become immune.
But yeah Phoenix, I think your government's out to get you.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 04:25 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I can see you should have added a Laughing to your Twisted Evil
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 04:33 pm
@Merry Andrew,
That's not true btw. A 14-year-old died here -- no pre-existing conditions or "reason" for the death (including obesity -- he was slim). That's the main thing that is worrisome -- it's really not currently predictable how severe it will be for a given person. And young people (not babies, but age groups that are usually hardier like school-age kids) are being impacted more severely than with other types of flus.