Man Gets 3 Years in Prison for Sex With Horse

Thomas

Wed 11 Nov, 2009 11:16 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
my grampa was a pig farmer (really)

I still love bacon.

Fine with me, though probably not for the pigs.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Wed 11 Nov, 2009 11:16 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
My conclusion about cat torturers, horse rapists, and pig farmers would be the same even if I agreed with you about intent. In all three cases, the human acts consciously, deliberately, and with the intent to do it again. And in all three cases, the benefit to the human is trivial compared to the suffering of the animal

Wow, this is very interesting. The human obviously gains pleasure from having sex with the animal, how do you know that the animal suffers through the exercise? Have you some ability to commune with farm animals?
Thomas

Wed 11 Nov, 2009 11:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
how do you know that the animal suffers through the exercise?

I don't. But as I understand it, the people who disagree with me think I'm too lenient with the horse molester. If I assumed that sex with humans causes them pleasure rather than pain, that would call for even more lenience than I'm already showing.
hawkeye10

Wed 11 Nov, 2009 11:27 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
I don't. But as I understand it, the people who disagree with me think I'm too lenient with the horse molester..

Yes, I am well aware that there are a bunch of fanatics among us who go ga-ga over animal rights. I gotta assume that they are fellow Buddhists, whom are sure that they are going to come back as an animal at some point. If not that then I gotta go with their brains being mis-wired.

I any case, pandering to them is not a good idea.
dlowan

Wed 11 Nov, 2009 11:28 pm
@Thomas,
Well, with the pig farmer the difference, if there is one, is that the harm is done because of disregard of the animals' suffering.

If we were consistent re regarding torment of animals as we do (unless we want to torment them for political advantage, in which case we pass laws saying we're allowed to torment some people) that of humans, we would regard the disregard as reckless, and prosecute.

As you say.

I hope we do in reality soon.

d(I only eat freerange pig products)lowan.
Thomas

Wed 11 Nov, 2009 11:35 pm
@dlowan,
Good for you. I should probably check out the Flying Pig Farm that Beth marvels so much about.
0 Replies

Thomas

Thu 12 Nov, 2009 10:44 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
I any case, pandering to them [animal rights advocates, T.] is not a good idea.

Perhaps not. But there are good reasons to advocate for animal welfare, so there's no reason to assume that such advocacy is pandering.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Mon 23 Nov, 2009 08:34 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
Robert Gentel wrote:
Intent makes a big difference.

How so? Personally, I tend to judge people's acts and social norms by their consequences.

I have to take into account intent myself sometimes. If I try to save someone's life but accidentally kill them the consequence is the same as if I were trying to kill the person, but the judgment and punishment shouldn't be (by my reasoning at least).

Quote:
In theory, my answer is this: Yes, we ought to treat pig farmers -- and their customers! -- the same as someone who stomps on a cat for fun.

I get your reasoning on some level and I've used similar arguments against other animal rights arguments (e.g. the anti-whaling crowd who still eat cows) but the difference in intent is more than just a triviality to me.

The kind of person who'd stomp a cat to death for fun is someone who I think has motivations that pose a greater societal risk than the kind of person who butchers pigs for food. For that and other reasons I think intent matters. I don't see moral equivalence of hurting animals for pleasure versus for food, even if the consequence to the animal is the same the consequence to society isn't.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Wed 25 Nov, 2009 09:06 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Robert Gentel wrote:
Intent makes a big difference.

How so? Personally, I tend to judge people's acts and social norms by their consequences.

I'm sure if you gave that any thought at all you'd realize just how wrong you are.
Thomas

Fri 27 Nov, 2009 05:17 pm
@joefromchicago,
On this weekend of turkey-eating and football- watching, many things are going on in my life. But thoughts aren't among them. Won't a saturated burp do the job, too?
dlowan

Fri 27 Nov, 2009 05:37 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

On this weekend of turkey-eating and football- watching, many things are going on in my life. But thoughts aren't among them. Won't a saturated burp do the job, too?

THAT'S an image I could have done without.

Saturated with WHAT?

No...don't tell me!!!

Shocked
0 Replies

brahmin

Fri 30 Apr, 2010 07:02 pm
@Ceili,
and often sticky
0 Replies

DianeA2K

Thu 12 Aug, 2010 06:58 pm
@djjd62,
Neigh Lad..
0 Replies

talk72000

Thu 12 Aug, 2010 07:39 pm
Wasn't Catherine the Great of Russian of Prussian descent, rumored to die from trying it out with a horse?
Gargamel

Thu 12 Aug, 2010 08:27 pm
@talk72000,
That's what I was taught in my high school European Studies class. In fact that might be the only tidbit I retained.
talk72000

Fri 13 Aug, 2010 02:38 pm
@Gargamel,
I got that from a Serb and he laughed like heck.
0 Replies

sumac

Mon 16 Aug, 2010 02:42 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Send him to obligatory therapy.
0 Replies

sumac

Mon 16 Aug, 2010 02:46 pm
But then again, men have been having sex with animals since time began. I think.
0 Replies

upset citizen

Mon 9 Dec, 2013 01:04 pm
@Phoenix32890,
That's what I am talking about! It is reported "sex with a horse" without saying how, so we can decide if it is abuse. As soon as someone talks about sex with animals its abuse. When that guy died from sex with a horse they said it was an accident and a woman said there needs to be a law. Does that mean there needs to be a law against guns cause people accidentally shoot themselves.
0 Replies

upset citizen

Mon 9 Dec, 2013 09:33 pm
@Linkat,
Court said there was no abuse. Where do you get abuse?
0 Replies