I feel ill - my health plan is going up by over 500%

Linkat

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 12:59 pm
How is one to live? I did not get a salary increase this year, but yet my current health insurance is going up by more than 500% because my company is cutting benefits. I have one other option, to try the High Deductible Health Plan which would only cause my health plan to increase by 200%. The downside is if something happens, we will be paying more for care.

I've had increases before, but this takes the cake. With just being able to pay bills with only one income now, how we will get by?

DrewDad

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 01:09 pm
@Linkat,
That sucks.

We have a medical withholding account that allows us to pay our health insurance premiums with pre-tax money. Does you company at least offer that?
Linkat

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 01:16 pm
@DrewDad,
Man - I miscalculated - when I read it the fine print was talking about the weekly rate, but when I looked at the chart it said monthly (the fine print said to calculate the weekly) - it is only going up by 37%. Still a big jump, but I think we can swing this. I can always lower my 401k contribution is needed.

I guess I was expected a really large increase as all stuff we have been getting in our emails said this - significant increases as they are trying to push us to the high deductable plan. I would take that if it was only me, but with a family and a daughter involved in competitive sports, I have to consider the potential for injury.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 01:17 pm
@DrewDad,
And yes - it does come out pre-tax.
roger

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 01:27 pm
@Linkat,
That's better. When I had company insurance, 30% was almost the norm. Since I did payroll and paid the bills, I was in a position to know that this actually reflected the company's cost. That is, the company paid about 1/3 of the total, both before and after the increases.

I'm with you on the high deductable. The last year I was there, we had the chance to save on premiums by switching to a policy that paid a percentage instead of a defined co-pay. I went with the more expensive premium, and sure enough, a month later my bicycle got into an altercation with a car.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 01:45 pm
I will never understand why Americans think it's a good idea for their employer to control their health coverage. Would you let your boss dictate your food bill and what you can eat? or where you kids could go to school? My older brother, who runs a fairly large company, is having his staff shop around for a less expensive health plan with fewer benefits to save money. The employees will probably have to contribute more to a plan they don't even get to pick. He considers it a good way to cut expenses in tough times and his employees have absolutely no say in the matter. Americans are like children who depend on their bosses to dole out their medicine (literally) like nannies.
Linkat

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 01:50 pm
@roger,
Yeah - I am also going to try to take advantage of the tax savings account where you can estimate medical expenses and have it taken out of your pay tax deferred - that should help a bit on the increase.

37% may be a high increase, but at least it is something I can work around and find some other way to cut costs (or eat in as we definately have money put away for a rainy day).
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 01:51 pm
@Green Witch,
Just three words:

SINGLE PAYER OPTION
roger

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 01:55 pm
@Green Witch,
If they are going to pay 25% - 50% of the premium, they will have input on the decisions, to say the least. Anyone wanting to pay 100% can have all the discretion they want.
roger

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 01:56 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I would agree, if I thought there were any chance of setting it up and running it properly.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 01:57 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

Americans are like children who depend on their bosses to dole out their medicine (literally) like nannies.

As opposed to the government? You can find a new job, try finding a new government.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 02:03 pm
@Green Witch,
Actually my company gives me a selection of choices - they pay a portion and I pay a portion. I would argue if I had to pay 100% and they said you can only have XYZ. I do have another choice if I don't want to go with what they have - I can go out into the market and pay 100% for myself so no, I don't consider myself a child - I have the choice. And I choice to spend the higher amount for the one in the middle of my 3 choices. Simply because I like the plan and its coverage the most - and I like my doctor and my kids' doctor which fortunately are in this network which also saves me.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 02:03 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I'd not prefer this - this would eliminate my choices.
roger

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 02:30 pm
@Linkat,
And that is why I qualified my endorsement.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 02:35 pm
@Linkat,
I feel for you. Do you work for a private company?
BorisKitten

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 02:41 pm
Hubby and I, both part-timers, have lived without health insurance for over 10 years now. In the US, that's a pretty big risk.

I was able, however, to get Accident Insurance for pretty cheap, from my last P/T job. It was $6.50 per week from AFLAC, and they would have paid us directly for most accidents. Being not-so-old-yet, this worked pretty well for us, although I never did have a claim.

Since you mentioned sports, this might be a good supplement for you... or maybe not, who knows?
Linkat

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 02:41 pm
@Gala,
Yes - I can accept the 37% increase - certainly do not like of course - but I realize the economy we are in and would much rather have a 37% in my plan and still have sufficient coverage. I just had a mild heart attack as I originally looked at the details incorrectly.

Especially considering I just had an echogram (whatever it is called) to check my heart murmur. Speaking of that - my doctor should have gotten the results and I haven't heard from her - I'll need a follow up call.
Linkat

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 02:47 pm
@BorisKitten,
My daughter should be sufficiently covered if getting an injury with our current medical coverage. Most things like that are covered 100% with at the most a $20 co-pay. We have been fortunate this past year as no medical care has been needed besides preventative care (and a couple of just diagnostic stuff with me - which is 100% covered).

Although I have dealt with - potential concession/broken nose by falling straight onto nose on cement at school - fortunately just very bruised bloody nose that looked horrible (cost $20) and a broken ankle in the same year (cost $20 including following up visits). Another year a visit to hospital via ambulance to hospital for potential broken ribs/internal injury for husband softball accident (cost $100) - and to mention various sicknesses - definately worth it for the unknown.
roger

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 02:51 pm
@BorisKitten,
BorisKitten wrote:

Hubby and I, both part-timers, have lived without health insurance for over 10 years now. In the US, that's a pretty big risk.

I was able, however, to get Accident Insurance for pretty cheap, from my last P/T job. It was $6.50 per week from AFLAC, and they would have paid us directly for most accidents. Being not-so-old-yet, this worked pretty well for us, although I never did have a claim.

Since you mentioned sports, this might be a good supplement for you... or maybe not, who knows?

Watch it! I'm familiar with many AFLAC accident policies. They usually pay a fixed dollar amount per day, rather than a part of the medical bills. Same for the hospital policies I've seen. Good coverage if you never have a claim, but read the details of your policy before you need it.
BorisKitten

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 02:53 pm
@Linkat,
Woah, that's a great plan!