I feel ill - my health plan is going up by over 500%

BorisKitten

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 02:55 pm
@roger,
Sigh.

I don't have any coverage right now, at all. Lost my pleasant/stressful public-library job, right about the same time the local high school became the local "middle high school."
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 03:44 pm
@BorisKitten,
Yeah - it does cost a good amount - but when you need it works well.

This year with a new doctor (my doctor moved out of state) - she sent me to eye doctor ($20); mammo (no cost); dermatologist ($20) and for a echogram some such thing (no cost); lab for a variety of blood tests (no cost); her well care visit ($20).
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 03:46 pm
@Linkat,
So, it's not 500%? It's 37% increase?
Linkat

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 04:17 pm
@Gala,
Yes sir re - the table that showed the new rates were "*" and the "*" stated weekly contributions...." so of course instead of fully reading it, I jumped to the conclusion these rates were weekly rates.

And prior to reading this chart we received an email suggesting using the high deductable health plan as the other plans were going up significantly, I was prepared for the worse. However, upon reading the entire note which continued "...are calculated by ..." Basically the rate that was in the chart was the monthly. So maybe it was for the best - now a 37% increase looks good.
maporsche

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 04:31 pm
@Green Witch,
Most of us don't think this is a good idea. We just don't have any politicians who have the balls to fix this. Not even the ones in there now.

Employer based HC is horrible.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 04:32 pm
@roger,
My company got rid of all other HC providers this year. We only have one company to choose from. And we are not a small company (we employ over 20,000 people). We do have 2 plans to choose from though, so that's something I guess.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 07:07 pm
Dear President Obama: A Modest Medicare Proposal by Thom Hartmann
http://magginkat.wordpress.com/2009/08/20/dear-president-obama-a-modest-medicare-proposal/
maporsche

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 07:42 pm
@Magginkat,
Obama doesn't have the courage of his convictions; so this has zero chance.
Gala

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 06:04 am
@Linkat,
I'm glad to hear it. Just to put it into a little more perpective for you-- Last year my health insurance through work went up 67%. Very painful.
Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 09:47 am
@Gala,
Thanks - that's tough - everything is going up except people's salaries it seems. The best thing is to look where you can cut costs - we are out reviewing our home/auto right now - we found another company that the costs will go down with the same coverage about $15/month - every little bit helps out.

I also took a look at the flexible saving plan - where certain items are taken out prior to taxes related to health care costs - like copays, prescription and many non-prescritption drugs, prescription glasses, dental work, etc. I could save about $1k a year potentially just on this tax savings.
Gala

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 10:16 am
@Linkat,
I'm good with a buck-- I also have a part-time job in addition to my full-time job and so I'm able to put some into savings too. I don't have a TV or a computer at home not only because of the expense, but because I don't want the distraction! I get all my books from the Public Library, bring and make my own coffee at work...well, you get the idea.

I've done flexible spending for years, it really helps. The consolation to the 67% health care increase is how cheap the Yoga classes are: $57 for four months, unlimited. That is wickedcheap and makes me happy.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 01:29 pm
@maporsche,
You sound as if all the President has to do is sign his name on the dotted line and it's a done deal.
Nothing is that simple in Washington or anywhere else for that matter. Get real.
0 Replies