will there be a war?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 04:48 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

The same thing is happening in the Democratic party. Progressive wingers are disgusted by the lack of any real reforms. They also voted last night, only their votes weren't counted. They are the ones that stayed home and refused to continue to vote for either party. They don't get it that by doing so, they shot themselves in the foot just like the Conservative wingers did in District 23.

The best thing that can happen out of all of this is the creation of a independent/centrists' party. Having that as a viable third political party would force the needed governing from the center that this country's citizens are so hungry for.

This notion that a 3rd Party is the salvation of American governance is nonsense.

First of all, it is highly unlikely (and I would argue impossible) for a potentially viable 3rd Party to arise without complete dependence on an individual candidate.

Do we really want a cult of personality party?

Secondly, the only way a 3rd Party will be consistently viable is when it replaces one of the current two. We are not England.

Finally, the only way a 3rd Party becomes viable and replaces one of the big Two is to emulate and execute upon the very means and ways reformers want to avoid.

We shouldn't abandon reform, but the fantasy of a 3rd Party is not the answer.

(Also posted in the "Obama" thread)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 04:57 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

well I suppose in a way the poor do create the jobs, they are the major consumers, they have made Walmart/China what it is today. (I'm pretty heavily invested in China funds)

I understand what you are saying, but if there were no one to create the businesses, there would be nothing for people to consume.

I sometime think about this business of taxing rich people at a higher rate than the rest of us. I wonder how many factories won't be built, how many jobs won't be created. Why the hell should people put their asses on the line to risk starting up a business, when if they succeed they have to give a big chunk of their money to the government?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 05:01 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Is it the poor who create jobs? That's news to me!

Absolutely, they do. Absolutely. As much as anyone else does, the poor contribute to job creation through their participation in the economy.

Quote:

A bank president can most likely wash a floor, but a janitor most likely cannot run a bank.

Laughing Bad example, or haven't you noticed lately that bank presidents also, apparently, cannot run banks?

Quote:
I will ignore your assault on my character. I have been called worse in my lifetime!!! Laughing [/b][/color]

It's no worse than what you accuse others of. You don't like being called names, but you have no problem calling other people names. You might want to check your own behavior before criticizing others.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 05:02 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:
My Gosh ebrown we agree again. At least to the extent that most voters are satisfied with the candidates they vote for. Surely some people detest all of the available candidates and simply don't vote, but I suspect they are a small number.

This nonsense about civil wars within either of the main parties has been trotted out before and has never amounted to anything.

We don't agree about civil wars (although it is nice to have some support for our two party system of democracy).

It seems clear that the GOP has some serious internal strife right now that they are going to have to deal with (and I don't mind saying that I take some pleasure in this). It wasn't just about Dede Scazzofava-- you had Gingrich vs. Palin; pragmatism vs. purity.

Of course, the Democratic party has had to deal with this in the past, but right now it is the GOP that has the serious rifts.

My prediction is that in the future the GOP will move to the center (I guess that would be the left for them) which will give them more play with the true center and conservative Democrats.

But in the short term, the Palin/Beck/Tea Party wing of the party is going to cause some fireworks (to the detriment of the GOP) for a while.

You got to appreciate the good times (cause I know there is a cycle to these things).

You can, if you would like, focus on one, otherwise, obscure race because names like Limbaugh, Hannity and Levin did what they do for a living, but to extrapolate NY23 (as did that idiot Frank Rich) into some overarching story about the GOP is just ridiculous.

Would I have liked to see Hoffman win yesterday? Of course. Not because I think he's the right guy for the job (I really have no idea as to whether or not he is, and I have already said he gives me the creeps), but because it would have deprived Democrats of their ability to spin what any rational person will recognize was a major victory for the GOP and a major setback for Obama.

This sort of thing happens because

1) After the Prez is elected the groups who, electively, remain on the electoral periphery (minorities and the young) recede back into the apathy in which they feel most comfortable.

2) The folks who are angered, scared, or perturbed by the policies of the new Prez are energized.

People believe what they want to believe, and I guess because the off year phenomena didn't occur for W, Obama and his supporters believed it wouldn't happen to them. Major difference: 9/11

The question now is whether Obama & Co, like Clinton & Co, will wise up to reality. Frankly, I doubt it.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 05:07 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

dyslexia wrote:

well I suppose in a way the poor do create the jobs, they are the major consumers, they have made Walmart/China what it is today. (I'm pretty heavily invested in China funds)

I understand what you are saying, but if there were no one to create the businesses, there would be nothing for people to consume.

I sometime think about this business of taxing rich people at a higher rate than the rest of us. I wonder how many factories won't be built, how many jobs won't be created. Why the hell should people put their asses on the line to risk starting up a business, when if they succeed they have to give a big chunk of their money to the government?

The poor and every other economic consumer class, at best, create demand. They do not create jobs.

The sick create a demand for a cure, but it hardly insures one will arrive.

0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 05:09 pm
chicken or egg, yeah I get that.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 05:12 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
if they succeed they have to give a big chunk of their money to the government?
just my guess but I'm thinking the greed of the robber barons resulted in that thinking.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 05:13 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

No, I don't think so.

There cannot be a chicken without an egg, nor an egg without a chicken.

There can be poor without jobs, and jobs without poor.

There can also be demand without jobs, and, for a time, jobs without demand (witness the Federal Government).
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 05:14 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

sorry, I posted that to you finn, I forgot you have me on ignore.
ebrown p

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 05:16 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
it would have deprived Democrats of their ability to spin what any rational person will recognize was a major victory for the GOP and a major setback for Obama.

You make me laugh. Virginia was an impressive win for the state GOP. NJ was a great campaign beating a pathetic campaign. All of these being races in a off-year election.

How do wins in statewide races consitute a "major setback for Obama" on a night where the only national impact was a pickup of one congressional seat for the Democrats?

Talk about spin.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 05:44 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Butrflynet wrote:
The best thing that can happen out of all of this is the creation of a independent/centrists' party. Having that as a viable third political party would force the needed governing from the center that this country's citizens are so hungry for.

Oh how I agree with you. I'm picking Libertarians.

Then we don't agree on very much.
ebrown p

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 05:50 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet....

You could choose the Tea Party people...
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 05:55 pm
@ebrown p,
Nah, I'd choose the pragmatists.
maporsche

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 05:58 pm
@Butrflynet,
Would your centrist party merely take the compromised view on every issue?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 06:17 pm
Everybody knows it is the poor people shipping all the jobs overseas, running ponzi schemes and sending the banks and auto companies to bankruptcy.
ebrown p

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 06:31 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
)
Nah, I'd choose the pragmatists.

Oh... so you mean Lieberman then?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 06:32 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
Would your centrist party merely take the compromised view on every issue?

I know this story. The centrist purists will drive the moderate centrists out of the party.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 06:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Everybody knows it is the poor people shipping all the jobs overseas, running ponzi schemes and sending the banks and auto companies to bankruptcy.

Edgar- There are crooks at every social strata. A Ponzi scheme of the magnitude of the one pulled off by Madoff becomes more visible to the public because of the amount of money, and the numbers of people involved. Remember, no one forced anyone to buy into Madoff's offerings. People got sucked in because of greed. If something seems too good to be true, it probably is not true.

I think a business person has the right to have his goods made wherever he wants. It's called freedom. If the U.S. wants to keep jobs in this country, there needs to be a positive reason for the business person to keep his factories here.

As far as the auto companies are concerned, for years they were making an inferior product. Personally, I think that the taxpayers should not have had to pay for poor management of the US auto industry.

Many bankers became greedy. They gave mortgages to people who never would have passed muster years ago. And many of these people defaulted on their loans. Too bad for the banks. If a person does not know how to run a business properly, they deserve to collapse, and not be bailed out by the government.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 09:21 pm
@dyslexia,
No war from me Dys. I have retired from the political threads.
Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 09:26 pm
@georgeob1,
Wise choice, George. I'm contemplating joining you on the recipe, travel and book threads.

It's unfortunate that the format of this forum doesn't allow us to put entire categories on "ignore."