will there be a war?

djjd62

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 03:37 pm
i could never understand either parties interest in leiberman, he seemed weak from the start
0 Replies

McGentrix

Scozzafava
tsarstepan

@dyslexia,
Would this war need its version of Haliburton? If so, I'm game for the war profiteering!
djjd62

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 03:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
the revolution will be televised

buy stock in time/warner
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 03:53 pm
The same thing is happening in the Democratic party. Progressive wingers are disgusted by the lack of any real reforms. They also voted last night, only their votes weren't counted. They are the ones that stayed home and refused to continue to vote for either party. They don't get it that by doing so, they shot themselves in the foot just like the Conservative wingers did in District 23.

The best thing that can happen out of all of this is the creation of a independent/centrists' party. Having that as a viable third political party would force the needed governing from the center that this country's citizens are so hungry for.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 03:56 pm
Lieberman is a wedge issue between Republicans and Democrats. He is not wanted by and large by Democrats, so the Republicans flock to support him. If he had gotten elected vice president, Republicans would have hated him and Democrats would have accepted him, reluctantly for some, wholeheartedly for some. Personally, I never wanted him when he was considered a Democrat.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 03:58 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Again, Scarafozza was not a moderate Republican she was a liberal. Conservatives are not going to support liberals anymore than liberals will support conservatives.

There were several articles about Scozzafava's voting record once the right wing challenge came out. She is far from a liberal. She is just right of center. If she isn't a "moderate Republican", she is certainly a "moderate".
ebrown p

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 03:58 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
My Gosh ebrown we agree again. At least to the extent that most voters are satisfied with the candidates they vote for. Surely some people detest all of the available candidates and simply don't vote, but I suspect they are a small number.

This nonsense about civil wars within either of the main parties has been trotted out before and has never amounted to anything.

We don't agree about civil wars (although it is nice to have some support for our two party system of democracy).

It seems clear that the GOP has some serious internal strife right now that they are going to have to deal with (and I don't mind saying that I take some pleasure in this). It wasn't just about Dede Scazzofava-- you had Gingrich vs. Palin; pragmatism vs. purity.

Of course, the Democratic party has had to deal with this in the past, but right now it is the GOP that has the serious rifts.

My prediction is that in the future the GOP will move to the center (I guess that would be the left for them) which will give them more play with the true center and conservative Democrats.

But in the short term, the Palin/Beck/Tea Party wing of the party is going to cause some fireworks (to the detriment of the GOP) for a while.

You got to appreciate the good times (cause I know there is a cycle to these things).
msolga

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 04:04 pm
@dyslexia,
You're hoping there'll be a war.
You're such a trouble maker! Laughing
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 04:05 pm
well, all in all it's been 60 years since the dixiecrats split wide open the dem party when they walked out of Truman's convention and I'd not say with any authority any harm was done to the dem party. The really scary thing currently to me is that both parties have gotten better at running good campaigns with worse and worse candidates.
msolga

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 04:17 pm
@dyslexia,
The time is ripe for a jolly good shake-up, then! This will be very interesting to watch.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 04:24 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

The really scary thing currently to me is that both parties have gotten better at running good campaigns with worse and worse candidates.

Amen, brother. For years I have longed for a candidate about whom I could feel really good. I have a feeling that it won't happen in my lifetime. Apparently the "sound bite" generation has been taken in by glitz, glamour, and folderol.

The "gimmee" crowd gets excited by a politician who promotes the idea of "soaking the rich". The schmucks don't realize that it is the rich who create the jobs. Oh sure there are some blackguards and knaves in the jet set, but there also are plenty of people who know how to "work the system" and milk the government.
ebrown p

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 04:30 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
The schmucks don't realize that it is the rich who create the jobs. Oh sure there are some blackguards and knaves in the jet set, but there also are plenty of people who know how to "work the system" and milk the government.

I have met the schmucks... and they are you guys.

((How is a bunch of voters whining about how stupid voters are not funny?))
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 04:31 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
The schmucks don't realize that it is the rich who create the jobs.

Yeah, if you really believe this is true, I am afraid the term 'shmuck' probably applies as much to you as it would to anyone.

Cycloptichorn
maporsche

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 04:40 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
The best thing that can happen out of all of this is the creation of a independent/centrists' party. Having that as a viable third political party would force the needed governing from the center that this country's citizens are so hungry for.

Oh how I agree with you. I'm picking Libertarians.
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 04:42 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Is it the poor who create jobs? That's news to me!

A bank president can most likely wash a floor, but a janitor most likely cannot run a bank.

I will ignore your assault on my character. I have been called worse in my lifetime!!! Laughing
dyslexia

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 04:43 pm
@maporsche,
we had a "viable" third party, his name was Bill Clinton. he was the ultimate centrist. Oh lord I pray -- not that again.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 04:44 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Scozzafava

Thank you.

I'm much better with faces than names McGytrex
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 04:45 pm
@engineer,
With all due respect --- Sez you
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 04:46 pm
@Phoenix32890,
well I suppose in a way the poor do create the jobs, they are the major consumers, they have made Walmart/China what it is today. (I'm pretty heavily invested in China funds)