Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:58 pm
Merry I am all ready to go the beach.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 03:09 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:
I seem to recall that ...

We've seen your recall, Merry. I don't suppose it's going to get any better either.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 03:11 pm
@Sglass,
Re: Sglass (Post 3804451)
It's obvious you are a communist. Why don't you go wash your Lenins somewhere else comrade.

Speaking of talking to yourself.

I didn't know you were a communist, Sglass. I hope you came thru the fifties alright when there were all those idiots running around looking for communists under every haystack.

JTT

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 06:32 pm
@Sglass,
Quote:
It's obvious you are a communist.

This is so patently stupid, Sglass. And of course it wouldn't be fair unless we made note that Merry tried the same lame nonsense.

I hope you guys had fun at the beach. Did you or Merry hang ten?

spendius

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 06:39 pm
@JTT,
Dylan had an early song about that.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 06:45 pm
Bob Dylan baby picturehttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/_F2Oa-mxpL4w/SiY6F62SqvI/AAAAAAAAAGw/bB0lwH-EF78/s320/Dylan+Surfing3.jpg
spendius

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 06:48 pm
@panzade,
Is that kosher pan? That's not Bob surely?
panzade

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 06:49 pm
@spendius,
Teasin...he grew up in the Great White North of Minnesota...Hibbing I think
spendius

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 06:50 pm
@panzade,
Yeah I know. It was the nose.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 01:25 am
@JTT,
Sorry to dissapoint you baby cakes but in the 50's Merry was in a displaced persons camp in Wurtzberg Germany with his parents, who are Latvian. They left Latvia during the Russian takeover to get away from the communists.

Me? I was just one of the good old girls growing up in West Texas.

Excuse me, but do you have any credibility. Where were you.
JTT

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 11:20 am
@Sglass,
It doesn't much matter if Merry grew up seated in Stalin's lap, Sglass. The issue is the immorality, the brutality, the illegality of the US blockade of Cuba, you know the one that has caused the deaths and unnecessary suffering of countless individuals, the one that Merry and you seem content to so easily dismiss.

Growing up in West Texas and having your head daily filled with American propaganda, now that's clearly something to be proud of.
CoastalRat

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 11:51 am
@JTT,
Correct me if I am wrong (I'm sure you will), but the last I checked there is no blockade of Cuba. There are trade and travel embargoes on Cuba, but there is nothing illegal about that, nor can you stretch that to claim it is immoral. I'm not really sure I would call it brutal. Cuba is free to trade with every other country in the world. What we won't give them you would think they could manage to get from others.

Admittedly, the US embargo has had and will continue to have an effect on the Cuban people. That is the point of any embargo, to create economic hardship that the Cuban government would have to respond to in such a way as to cause the US to ease the restrictions. Thus far the Cuban government seems not to care about doing so, thus the embargo continues.

With all this misery you claim the US has caused the Cuban people, you would think they would really hate us, and yet many of them keep trying to get to our shores. Go figure.
Advocate

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 12:54 pm
@JTT,
Our record regarding Cuba, Nam, Iran, et al., is truly sickening. Obama was correct in apologizing for the country.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 12:58 pm
Hey JTT I haven't heard your take on gay marriage and pot. Is your thinking convoluted on those subjects as it on Cuba?
fbaezer

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 01:01 pm
I have already stated that, like any rational being, I am against the US embargo.

Having said this, there is a line of reasoning I don't understand:
"American capitalist investments and trade keep Third World countries poor"
"The lack of American capitalist investments and trade is what keeps Third World Cuba poor".
Sounds like orwellian doublethink to me.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 01:08 pm
@Sglass,
Quote:
Is your thinking convoluted on those subjects as it on Cuba?

Take a deep breath, Sglass, you're going to give yourself the vapors. After you've got yourself relaxed and steady, perhaps you can try again.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 01:12 pm
In the early nineties I sent a reporter to Cuba, and she was bold enough to get an interview Fidel without a previous appointment.
To many observers this was the most important interview Fidel Castro gave in that decade. Actually he chose us, since we were the government's newspaper of the closest Latin American country Cuba had at the time.
He said that Cuba was subject to a "double blockade"; from the US and from the (then crumbling) Soviet Union, and that explained the specially hard times they were having (the so-called "war economy" times).
It is clear now that the "Soviet blockade" has had a bigger impact than the "US blockade", because the Cuban economy depended heavily on Soviet subsidies and has never recovered from the blow of the fall of the Communist bloc.
Sglass

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 01:22 pm
@fbaezer,
I didn't know that you were in the newspaper business. Must have been around for the "Bay of Pigss" fiasco. I had to cancel a trip to San Juan, PR cause all my friends at the UPI in SJ were too busy to play.
fbaezer

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 01:30 pm
@Sglass,
I was in grade school during the Playa GirĂ³n/Bay of Pigs invasion.

Sglass

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 01:42 pm
@fbaezer,
Tricky Dick proposed it, Ike planned it, JFK approved it and the CIA carried it out.