set it to stun

Adverb

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 10:11 pm
The wife was ill, and her husband brought the thermometer.
The husband:This is the thermometer? Should I set it to stun?
Wife: No ,give it to me.
What does"set it to stun"refer to?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,017 • Replies: 13

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 11:28 pm
@Adverb,
It's a famous quote from the Star Trek television show (1966).

Technically, the line is "set phasers to stun." One of the characters would tell another character to change the setting of their laser guns so it would only stun/temporarily paralyze the people/aliens they shot rather then kill them.

When the husband put it into the context of the thermometer, he was saying it in a cheeky/joke like fashion. It must have been some kind of electronic/digital thermometer which you had to turn on somehow, rather then the old fashion mercury filled glass thermometer.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 05:35 am
@Adverb,
Obviously when guys use STAR TREK metaphors in daily life, the wives dont get it. WIves dont get slapstick, STar Trek, Three STooges, and Larry the CAble Guy. SO the reason that the wifes response has no bearing to waht the hsuband said is that she had no idea about the reference that Stepan had mentioned.
Kinda fdunny but sad in that it shows the wide gulf of communication that separates the sexes.
BillRM

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 09:05 am
@farmerman,
All wives/women would not get a refer to an old science fiction TV show farmerman?

Sorry but in my younger days I used to enjoyed going to the world science fiction conversions held all over the world and one of the big draws to me was the fairly large number of young women that also attended and the good chance of getting lucky with one of them.

Everyone of those by now wives and more then likely now grandmothers would have no problem understanding the "set on stun" comment.

What a strange world you seem to live in.
farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 09:13 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
Sorry but in my younger days I used to enjoyed going to the world science fiction conversions held all over the world
. What did you convert from?

Quote:
What a strange world you seem to live in
At least I dont go to STar Trek "conversions", Let me guess, you dressed up as a tribble . Close?

BillRM

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 10:21 am
@farmerman,
At least I dont go to STar Trek "conversions", Let me guess, you dressed up as a tribble . Close?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once more you do not know what you are talking about my strange friend as trek conventions and science fiction conventions is not the same thing at all. Such conventions predate commerce TV as a matter of fact let alone a 1960s TV show.

I never in fact been to a trek convention however I been to a numbers of world science fiction conventions.

The people who write and read science fiction books and magazines get together at these conventions and this have very little to do with any one science fiction TV show.

Oh also for your information a great number of the engineers and scientists who work had allowed you to make a fool of yourself on a world wide computer network had been science fiction fans beginning as teenagers.

Von Braun as he work on the rockets used to attacked London got his copies of Astounding Science Fiction magazine by way of Switzerland.

Hell a great percent of those who attend science fiction conventions now or in the past could and would had run the numbers correctly and got the fact in the balloon hoax that the balloon in question would not had been able to carry a child or even a fat cat and unlike you would had not depended on some so call TV scientist.

Looking at your profile I see you listed yourself as being a geologist and all and all as you had proven you are unable to do simple math I therefore would suggest giving back that degree.

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 10:53 am
Gee, you guys really know how to confuse poor Adverb who's just trying to learn English. Way to go.
BillRM

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 10:58 am
@Merry Andrew,
Gee, you guys really know how to confuse poor Adverb who's just trying to learn English. Way to go.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
That is not fair as he was told where that comment came from before the topic drift off to women not being able to understand the comment in question.
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 11:05 am
@BillRM,
Who said life was fair?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 01:58 pm
@BillRM,
Youve missed my entire attempt at humor. Your original post stated that you went to science fiction "conversions" (whatever the hell that is)> My attempt was to just cast a little humor on your malapropism, seems it flew over the dome.

As far as math, you have a strange way of trying to claim a high ground. If you recall, (and I think maybe you have short term memory problems) I questioned your math freom another source (NOT MINE BUT WOODS HOLE). As it tunred out YOU were incorrect by a factor of 100%. SImple math requires correct data. Im a data guy and always like to check numbers before publishing. Apparently you dont have that impediment on whatever you spew.

As far as Scientists at Star Trek conventions, EVERYBODY has hobbies. Im sure there are scientists and engineers that go to those conventions and even dress up. However, most of the Trekkie folks are losers who havent yhet realized their lifes goal. How bout you.

PS as far as commenting on my qualifications, youre ill equipped, "unarmed" if you will.
Youre just a bitter old coot .
BillRM

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 02:35 pm
@farmerman,
Lord you are a strange person number one to claimed that women as a class is somehow was less interested and know less about a 1960s TV show is strange with no backing at all and second my math and figures was right on as the balloon could not lift a fat cat less alone the 100 pounds that your scientist claimed it could.

In fact, there was a picture of the balloon being tested with 45 pounds of sands in it sitting on the grounds as if it was nail to that ground.

As far as trekies being losers as a group, I question that but as I never said I had been to a trek convention in my life, it is completely beside the point.

It is also interesting that you are assuming that a large percent of people who did enjoy that TV show and the ones that follow had gone to a trek conventions. Seem very unlikely that more then a tiny fraction of the people who would know where the comment “set it on stun” came from ever went to such a convention.

Second note if you would read Asimov autobiography you would find the amusing fact that it was his second wife a MD that was a star trek nut not him.

I am perhaps here giving you more credit then you deserve in knowing who Dr. Asimov happen to be, just because he wrote over 500 books on every subject under the sun during his lifetime.

farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 04:08 pm
@BillRM,
Youre a treasure. Smile
I have no fuckin idea what you just said but Im sure if it made you feel better, Im all for it.
BillRM

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 04:22 pm
@farmerman,
I am sure you do not as you are a nut case who seem not to be able to hold even one idea in his mind at a time and who delight in making broad and silly statements such as women not being able to understand the quote from an old TV show as they are women after all or that trekies are losers or……and on and on it go.

Oh one of my all time favorite is your following comment “Cmon you Muslims, get a sense of humor! Muhammed was a thug, deal with it.”

You are entertaining however to a degree.

farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 04:29 pm
@BillRM,
If you missed the attempt at humor, please dont keep bringing it up and showing me how dim you are.
Im hoping that alot of what you miss can be ascribed to the fact that your probably not a long time resident of the US. Ifd you were, youd know that WOMEN are the ones who give me **** about how childish they think the following guy activites are

1Knowing all the routines of the THree STooges

2Trying to light farts at a picnic

3Understanding the humore of LArry the Cable Guy

4Giving a crap about STar Trek.

This is all Ill say about it because the next step in your sloppy logic will be to call me a mysogynist from my little attempt at humore.

IT WAS HUMOR DIPSHIT---get over it
0 Replies