Sun 25 Oct, 2009 01:10 pm
I purchased a bag or fresh oranges. I now notice on the label that the oranges were treated with the above chemicals.
Are the oranges safe to eat? I don't eat the skins.
Can you believe this child is only 12 years old? This is what happens to you after at least 8 months exposure to those pesticides.
These chemicals have been debated for years as to how safe or harmful they are when ingested. I personally try to avoid them, plus they are petroleum based and why would anyone want to eat that? They most serve to keep the fruit from wrinkling and going moldy, thus giving it a longer shelf life. You will not find them applied to organic produce so I suggest that is what you should look for at your grocers. Most places do not even mark the fruit and you can only tell by the waxy shine. That said, eating one batch is not going to hurt you.
Here's a old NYTimes article that is still accurate: