Hi ho the derry-o, the cat brings the rat

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 07:25 pm
This morning my cat begifted me with a dead rat. Not a mouse. A rat.

A dinky four pound cat. A gigantic one pound rat.

So I checked lovely killer out to make sure she hadn't been injured. She wasn't.

She's current on her shots but I'm wondering if there is anything else I should watch out for disease wise. (The ground is really hard and we're getting a lot of rain so the rats are fleeing the creek. I imagine there might be more rat gifts in my future.)

Thanks!

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,701 • Replies: 12

mismi

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 07:35 pm
@boomerang,
I have a kitty that brings gifts to me. I know this sounds crazy...but I wipe his mouth and paws off with a wet paper towel before I let him in ...I am sure this does no good at all...but somehow it makes me feel better.

I hope someone can give you a better answer. I will be reading with interest.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 07:35 pm
@boomerang,
I don't think she's got a thing to worry about. Give her some extra attention as a reward for defending the homestead.
mismi

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 07:38 pm
@roger,
Very Happy
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 08:26 pm
My cat can come and go as she pleases so I can't wipe her down..... not that I would but...... hmmmhmmmhmmmm......

Thanks, roger. I won't worry about her then.

She's lost a few teeth on her hunting expidetions but never suffered any serious damage. For a tiny house cat, she's an alarmingly good hunter.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 08:27 pm
rats can carry fleas.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 08:37 pm
Guy I work with watched a cat snatch a robin out of the air.
Eva

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 09:00 pm
That's nothing. I've watched my dog snatch a bird out of the air.

Good kitty, boomer! (Try not to react badly when you find dead presents. She's trying to show you what a good hunter she is. See? That's one less rat you have to worry about getting into your house!)
Letty

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 10:35 am
@Eva,
and my Persian cat Murdoch caught two birds at one time. Then my calico cat, Big Mamma, had a headless rat waiting for me as a gift.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 10:46 am
Murdoch...what a great name for a cat!
Letty

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 11:02 am
@Eva,
Bud named him, Eva. He also found a rabbit warren and was attempting to drag out the baby rabbits. My neice and I would make him let go of those. Cathy, my neice, said that we were on "rabbit patrol". She is funny.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 12:56 pm
I don't get mad at my cat when she drags home rodent trophies. She's a cat. That's what cats do.

My cat hating neighbor even welcomes my cat in her yard since my cat killed all the mice under her deck.

This is the first time Biscuit has ever shown up with a bona fide rat before and I didn't know if I should be a little more cautious.

Thank goodness she hasn't brought in dead rabbits. I don't think I could take that!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 01:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
IT's a shame he couldn't catch it on slow-motion video.
0 Replies