I want to learn 5 diffrent languages together,which group is the best ?

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 02:45 am
Hi,there
I want to learn 5 diffrent languages together,which group is the best ?
1 German Spanish Arabic Japanese French
2 Spanish Japanese Korean German ___ ?

Do you have any other suggestions? Thank you in advance.

sullyfish6

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 06:06 am
What makes you think that you can learn 5 languages AT ONCE?
djjd62

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 06:07 am
@sullyfish6,
where does it say "at once"?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 06:25 am
Spanish is spoken by many millions of people in the western hemisphere, as well as in Spain. French is spoken by many millions of people in Africa, as well as in Europe (France, Belgium, Switzerland). German is not as widely spoken, but it is a language of business, industry and scientific and technical journals, but i don't know if you would have any use for that. Japanese makes sense for business reasons; Korean arguably makes sense for business reasons, although much less so. Japanese and Korean, by the way, are Altaic languages, and are not similar to Chinese. Russian might be useful, just because it was the language of hundreds of millions of people in the days of the Soviet Union.

For what purpose do you want to learn these languages? For business, for academic purposes? It would help to know why you want to learn several langauges.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 06:43 am
I would go Latin, Greek, Spanish, Italian and French if you want to actually have a chance at success.
ebrown p

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 06:56 am
@Chinasmith,
Doesn't the group of languages that is "best" depend on who you want to speak with?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 07:00 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

I would go Latin, Greek, Spanish, Italian and French if you want to actually have a chance at success.

sure if you were trying to be a boy buggering (greek) catholic priest (latin, spanish, italian, french)
ebrown p

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 07:18 am
@djjd62,
I see where McGentrix is going with this -- similar languages are easier to learn together.

I would scratch Latin (a dead language) and Greek (a linguistic outlier in this set).

I would replace them with Portuguese and Romansh,
contrex

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 10:48 am
@ebrown p,
French, Spanish and Catalan make a good mix; I learned those languages in that order. Over 15 years. If there have to be five, then Italian and Portuguese are possible, but this is really a lifetime's task. I doubt very much that anybody truly has the power to truly learn 5 languages fluently without living and travelling extensively in the countries where they are spoken. (I'm not talking about getting a superficial notion of grammar and syntax from books.) I speak as a language teacher of 35 years experience.

roger

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 10:58 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Japanese and Korean, by the way, are Altaic languages, and are not similar to Chinese.

Well, fan me with a blowtorch. This was my month to learn something new.
Chinasmith

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 11:11 pm
@Setanta,
thank you very much. I love languages, and just want to grab and know some diffrent cultures, make some friends. and I also want to do some business ,so learning languages as many as i can will be of great help.
0 Replies

Chinasmith

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 11:15 pm
@McGentrix,
Greek may be hard to deal with.
Chinasmith

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 11:19 pm
@contrex,
I believe in you. I learned English for 15 years and I will spend a lifetime's treasure to know it.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 05:32 am
@Chinasmith,
Quote:
Greek may be hard to deal with.

I can understand every language in the world except Greek.
Francis

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 05:44 am
@ebrown p,
Yeah, but Chinese is Greek to you..
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 05:55 am
@roger,
I just learned it myself recently, within the last several years. I've now read it in more than one source. In the 19th century, when reliable archaeological evidence was not available, and genetic evidence was not available, the relationships of peoples was determined by linguistic and cultural identities. As far as i know, the origin of those languages is confirmed, but there remains some doubt about just from where and when the Koreans and the Japanese appeared. No one, of course, knows how they ended up where they did.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 03:37 am
@Chinasmith,
M0re the languages more the varsatility...

German Spanish Arabic Japanese French wuld be good.
0 Replies

daor79

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 12:42 am
@Setanta,
Spanish is spoken by many millions of people in the western hemisphere, as well as in Spain. French is spoken by many millions of people in Africa, as well as in Europe (France, Belgium, Switzerland). German is not as widely spoken, but it is a language of business, industry and scientific and technical journals, but i don't know if you would have any use for that. Japanese makes sense for business reasons; Korean arguably makes sense for business reasons, although much less so. Japanese and Korean, by the way, are Altaic languages, and are not similar to Chinese.Russian might be useful, just because it was the language of hundreds of millions of people in the days of the Soviet Union.
------------------------

It should be: German, Japanese, France, Chinsese, Spain. You can go all over the world with these languages. But I think you will be so old to do that
roger

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 01:19 am
@daor79,
English is used by air traffic controllers, worldwide. That gives me a clue that English ought to be in there, somewhere.
Francis

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 01:32 am
@roger,
It goes without saying, but it goes better saying it..
0 Replies