moon bombing

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 07:20 am
well just like in real life, the animation was far more interesting than the actual event.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 3,966 • Replies: 40
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 08:20 am
@dyslexia,
What did the moon ever do to us?
Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 08:24 am
If yer goin' around moonin' folks, Dys, you must be bombed . . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 08:28 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Oil?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 08:43 am
@joefromchicago,
Quote:

Protection from the barbarian horde?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 08:50 am
I don't think NASA used the term "moon bombing," but I do admit that the Fox news headline make this a hellova lot more entertaining.

T
K
O
Lightwizard

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 02:37 pm
@dyslexia,
Being in the ship would have been even more spectacular, but I'm betting their were no windows.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 02:38 pm
@Diest TKO,
If there were astronauts there to observe, they would haven gotten bombed on the moon.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 03:49 pm
Ooops -- and I used "their" for "they're" -- my gramadramatical error.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 03:52 pm
@Lightwizard,
Lightwizard wrote:

Ooops -- and I used "their" for "they're" -- my gramadramatical error.

In Texas we just write "thar."
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 03:59 pm
Latest photograph of the moon bombing:

http://universofantastico.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/lua_melies.jpg
Francis

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 04:08 pm
@joefromchicago,
But that bombing was made by the French..
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 04:34 am
@Francis,
... while the Germans had a different kind of bomb ...

http://www.stummfilmkonzerte.de/images/glossar/stummfilme/FrauimMond1_628.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 06:00 am
Why is that girl all dressed up like a German used car salesman? She looks like she's afixin' to sing . . .
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 09:26 am
@Setanta,
Well, that's how we Germans wanted to get the man on moon on our side. In 1929.
joefromchicago

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 06:38 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Frau im Mond is a pretty good film. I encourage everyone interested in science fiction to watch it.
Lightwizard

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 01:54 pm
@joefromchicago,
All the good early sci-fi movies were German. One of our early offerings? "Just Imagine," quaint and silly, albeit with some adequate special effects, and it's a musical comedy!
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 04:21 pm
@Lightwizard,
Frau im Mond is rather prescient in some spots, but other parts are just comical. As the space travelers emerge from the rocket ship, I couldn't help thinking of a scene from Flesh Gordon (the X-rated sci fi film -- yes, I know, I'm ashamed to admit it), where the scientist sets foot on a strange planet, takes a deep breath, and says "ah, there's oxygen here, we can breathe!"

The movie also, I think establishes some elements that would become standard in future sci fi films. For instance, early on a young boy who is fascinated with space flight is introduced. Immediately, I thought: "he's going to stow away on board the rocket." Sure enough, he does exactly that. Really, don't they have any security for these space launches?
Lightwizard

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 06:48 pm
@joefromchicago,
Space launches with security? Isn't that something like pre-9/11 airports and airplanes?

Sci-fi is still sometimes unintentionally funny because of ignoring basic physics one learned in high school. When the US began to make some serious sci-fi, we got "Destination Moon" right out of the starting gate which was reasonably accurate science for that time, but in a rush to beat it to the box office, the shoestring studio Lippert Pictures cranked out "Rocketship XM" and, of course, decided Mars had a breathable atmosphere. Well, after all, Ray Bradbury wrote a novel (actually more of a strung-together anthology of short stories) that depended on breathable air on Mars. It's remarkable that "The Day the Earth Stood Still" got produced at all and "The Thing" was more of a horror flick than a sci-fi film (although I do remember it scaring the pants of of me -- especially when they open that door!) Then there was the extremely dry period until "2001."
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 08:40 am
@Lightwizard,
Frau im Mond, as I recall, had a real physics head-scratcher. In the film, the scientists figured out that the moon had breathable atmosphere on one side (either the dark side or the bright side -- I can't remember which). Now, if anyone can explain how a planet or satellite can have an atmosphere on only one side, I'd be curious to hear it.