13 yr old girl i need to lose some weight

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 03:41 pm
okay here's my problem; just weighed myself with a heavy sweatshirt and jeans the scale read 163. im on a soccer team and we practice twice a week for 2 hrs and 1 game a week for about an hour and a half. i have gym at school every other day for 45 mins. on average i run 3 to 5 miles a week in the fall and in the winter about 2 to 4 but participate in other sports such as skiing and basketball. i eat fairly healthy. for breakfeast normally i eat a piece of fruit and coffee or juice. on the weekend waffles or pancakes. since my school serves lunch so early i eat a sanwich wit no cheese or mayo around 3 o'clock. and for dinner salad. in other words no matter how hard i work i cant loose enough wait. although ive lost about ten lbs in 3 months i cant seem to look like every other girl in my school who eats all the junk food they want and still weigh 90lbs. HELP!

NickFun

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 04:02 pm
@maybebaby101,
By the way you eat you should be emaciated. Are you sure you're not stuffing yourself with Twinkies and Ding Dongs between meals?
maybebaby101

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 04:12 pm
@NickFun,
nope...what are ding dongs?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 04:13 pm
@maybebaby101,
How tall are you? I'm not worried about your weight yet, need more information. Some of your weight is due to muscle, which is generally good.

I may be worried about your nutrients, regarding your vegetables and various proteins. Your junk food eating friends are looking at their own problems ahead.

I'll strongly suggest you not try to aim towards 90 pounds. In the meantime, other posters will show up who know a great deal about nutrition.

maybebaby101

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 04:15 pm
@ossobuco,
im around 5'4 and what info do u need?
maybebaby101

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 04:49 pm
@maybebaby101,
PLEASE I NEED MORE OPINIONS!
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 04:50 pm
@maybebaby101,
5-4 and 163 makes me wonder about your report of what you eat daily.

We have a few ongoing threads about weight here on a2k..

one directed to teens
http://able2know.org/topic/35752-1

one directed to what people eat every day (some of the people on this thread are very knowledgeable about diet)
http://able2know.org/topic/120307-1

and one directed mainly to exercise goals (goals vary)
http://able2know.org/topic/125580-1

All of the threads are quite long by now. I have a bias, in that the one I'd look at first is -

In the meantime, on THIS thread, people will still be answering over time.

I'll advise looking at Jespah's comments - she has a handle on what are the smart nutrients to eat per day to maintain health, stamina, and weight.
maybebaby101

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 04:54 pm
@ossobuco,
thanx i appreciate it
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 04:57 pm
@maybebaby101,
Jespah usually doesn't post in the US timezone evenings, but I bet she'll be along.

She's not the only one sharp on nutrition, but she is a smartie on it.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 05:05 pm
@ossobuco,
I forgot to give the link for the thread that interests me the most, that second one above.

http://able2know.org/topic/120307-1

Jespah has lost a lot of weight in the last few years (as have a few others here) and has paid a lot of attention to nutritional needs - she still eats fat as some fat intake is important, but only so much, and so on.

I've no idea if her thinking is just right for you, but you can learn some basics from her. Nutrition is a fascinating subject..
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 08:27 pm
@maybebaby101,
maybebaby101 wrote:
PLEASE I NEED MORE OPINIONS!

I would recommend reading Doctor Atkins book on the Atkins Diet. I know of no one who really tried it, who it did not work for… and the lesson learned along the way even if you don’t stick with it for the long term make it relatively easy to police your weight to a lesser degree.

In short strokes, it works something like this:
Your body runs on sugar. All bodies do. Like most things in nature, it also takes the path least resistance when deciding what to burn.

Sugar, and all things sweet (corn syrup, etc) are the easiest for your body to convert to the simple sugar your body runs on. (Super-high in carbohydrates)

Next easiest thing to covert to sugar is starch. Breads, Pastas, rice etc. (very-high in carbohydrates)

The hardest thing to convert to sugar is your meats, fish and animal fat. (Virtually no carbohydrates)Your body will generally only want to convert these foods to energy, if it doesn't get any of the easier to convert foods listed above.

So, you start by shocking your body into a state of ketosis, (which basically means eating itself for energy). You accomplish this by eating absolutely nothing from the first 2 groups for several days and no more than 10 carbs or so a day for 2 weeks. You can have all of the eggs, fish, meat etc. you want, but absolutely no sugar or starch. This is NOT terribly healthy, because your body will eat some muscle along with the fat, but it's only for a couple of weeks. Rapid weight loss will begin almost immediately.

Once your body has made the adjustment to ketosis, you will have effectively turned your body into a fat burning machine. You will forever be able to eat unlimited portions of meat, fish, eggs, oil, etc. (Anything with zero or close to zero carbs is free.)You will know it’s working because no matter how much bacon you eat (and you can have as much as you want), you won’t be using the toilet for much of anything at first… and don’t be concerned that what does come out in this stage is pretty nasty. Contrary to what many poorly informed people think the Atkins Diet is; you DO NOT have to live like this forever. After the 2 weeks; you will begin reintroducing carbohydrates into your system at a controlled rate. Each week, you will add 5 more carbs into your daily diet.

So, something like this:
Weeks 1 and 2, 10 carbs a day
Week 3, 15 carbs a day
Week 4, 20 carbs a day
Week 5, 25 carbs a day

Etc., etc, etc until you reach a state where you are no longer losing weight. When this happens, you will have found your “personal carb number.” From this point forward, you simply stay below your personal carb number and you continue to lose weight until you reach your desired weight (which I hope to God is NOT 90 pounds, but rather whatever weight you look and feel good at.)

It is okay to splurge on occasion… but it’s best to do all of your splurging at once… and certainly no more than once per week. If you ever fall off the diet, it’s not a big deal. Your body will remember, and you can kick it back into ketosis by returning to step 1 for a few days any time you want to. Once you’ve established what your “personal carb number” is; you can reverse weight gain at will, simply by doing 3 days of ketosis, and consuming at a level lower than your carb level. You have complete control.

If you find your “personal carb number” is too low to abide by, you can always increase it with exercise. What you can’t do, is eat ice cream, drink sugary sodas and juices, or eat candy. These have to be considered treats that are for relatively rare occasions if you want to use carbs to maintain your weight.

The good news is; since your body will remain a fat burner, rather than a sugar burner, you will not experience the highs and lows of blood sugar swings and will be virtually immune to type 2 diabetes.

Following this post, you will likely find a few posters that attempt to discredit Carbohydrate control as a method of weight maintenance. Typically, the nay-sayers are poorly informed, haven’t read the book, and don’t really understand what they’re talking about. I’d recommend you ignore them, read the book for yourself and make up your own mind.

Oh, and btw, there is never any reason to skip the cheese. I read about a MASSIVE bone density study done in research related to osteoporosis, and among the surprising findings was that those in the group that intentionally ate lots of dairy, lost weight as an unexpected side effect. They didn’t say why, but did say the size and scope of the study left no doubt that dairy was at least “free” if not beneficial for those seeking to lose weight.

I highly recommend reading the book for yourself, but if you’re in a hurry to get started, you can get a pretty decent understanding of the basics by Clicking here
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 08:34 pm
Bill, the Atkins diet is not for 13 year old girls who are in the midst of puberty.
----------
Actually, I think you're eating not enough and you're not losing weight because
your body gets into starvation mode and shuts down. You need to have a balanced meal plan designed for someone your age and then eat accordingly.

Try eating oatmeal and a banana for breakfast, a chicken sandwich or some
pasta for lunch and for dinner in addition to your salad, some fish and vegetables. This should help your metabolism get back into regular mode.

Again, the less you eat the less weight you will lose as your body gets into
starvation mode!
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 08:35 pm
@ossobuco,
and I'll say, read Calamiy Jane. First of all, a thirteen year old participating in sports routinely doesn't need to key into some popularized diet system.

She needs to get a clue about nutrition.
0 Replies

emo245

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 08:46 pm
@maybebaby101,
do what id o strav ur self for 4 days and thenn see how slim u are its caleed the emo diet. thats all you have to do like to me i do that to die u just whant to losse wait trust me on this one dont eat for 4 days ull see how much you loose
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 08:49 pm
@CalamityJane,
The girl asked how to lose weight. That's the question I answered. You are never too young to eat a healthy diet... and a diet that keeps you from becoming morbidly obese is infinitely better for you than one that fits a description of "balanced." Sugar kills more people than nicotine... and the vast majority of successful carb-watchers don't have to cut out much more than the sweets in the long run to maintain a healthy weight.
emo245

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 08:50 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
dude is that even true
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 08:51 pm
@emo245,
Your advice is pretty dumb, emo!
emo245

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 08:52 pm
@CalamityJane,
im sorry thats what i do i starv my self at school too i just whant to die to see my real parents you dont really get it i miss them soooo much
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 08:55 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
You are never too young to eat a healthy diet... and a diet that keeps you from becoming morbidly obese is infinitely better for you than one that fits a description of "balanced." Sugar kills more people than nicotine... and the vast majority of successful carb-watchers don't have to cut out much more than the sweets in the long run to maintain a healthy weight.

I agree with you here, Bill, nonetheless I don't consider Atkins as healthy.
0 Replies

emo245

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 08:59 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
do u have and adive to kepting suside plzz