Obama Nixes Traditional Long School Summer Vacations

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 09:33 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
My argument boils down to:

1. Kids should be given more time off for playing than adults, so that they can have a childhood.
2. The long summer vacation is a wonderful experience for children

neither point of which seems pathetic to me.

Neither point is pathetic, but the argument is pathetic. You need to show that increasing time in school is less beneficial than summer vacation. What you're saying is that you like things the way they were, which is just an argument to tradition.

No, I don't need to show that. It's impossible to quantify, since it expresses only my feeling about childhood. I said that children should have significant amounts of time off each year so that they can be children, and that the long vacation seems to me to be a great part of being a child.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 01:56 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

No, I don't need to show that. It's impossible to quantify, since it expresses only my feeling about childhood. I said that children should have significant amounts of time off each year so that they can be children, and that the long vacation seems to me to be a great part of being a child.

Certainly long summer holidays are being part of being a child.
I just can say what I know from the older generation, my own and those who are still at school: six weeks are long enough. (Of course, if you you go on holidays away with your parents for three weeks and all your friends are away with their parents the other three weeks ... But mostly, it's just for two weeks, and one or two other one-week holidays around Christmas or Easter)
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 02:18 am
@Brandon9000,
I understand what you're saying Brandon - but I think it's changed quite a lot since I was a kid (I don't know how that compares to when you were a kid).

My mom didn't work- almost no one's mom worked - we were all home roaming the neighborhood on our bikes, we could swim in each other's pools because the mothers were there to supervise - people took vacations and day trips to the beach and camping trips...
Now, probably most mothers work - so the kids are home alone and told to stay in or near the house, so there's a lot of isolation, computer games and tv watching going on. A lot of kids are bored out of their skull by the time September rolls around.
Not that they're happy to be back in school - they're just happy to be back around people and seeing their friends every day.

But in terms of time in school - I looked it up and as far as developed countries go - USA ranks pretty high. We put in the hours that a lot of other countries do - we just do it on a different schedule.
What I've read is not that we necessarily need to increase the time spent in school - we need to find ways to use it more productively.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 02:33 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

But in terms of time in school - I looked it up and as far as developed countries go - USA ranks pretty high. We put in the hours that a lot of other countries do - we just do it on a different schedule.
What I've read is not that we necessarily need to increase the time spent in school - we need to find ways to use it more productively.

Our niece currently spends one year as exchange pupil in the USA.
She really doesn't like the schedule in her school (besides other things) because she'd more time for herself here in Germany, not everything planned by school by by herself and her friends (= I lot of what she does in the afternoon in/with/by her school, is done here privately).
aidan

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 02:39 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter - I think that's a function of working parents as well. As you describe, when I was in school, at 2:45 when the bell rang, we were free to go and play outside with friends. I don't think there even was anything like an 'after-school' program- if we did homework, we did it at our own direction- if we played a game - we made up our own teams and rules, etc.

Now the reality is that so many parents work until 5 or 6 that it's fallen to the schools to provide activities so that there is a place for children to go and be supervised until their parents pick them up.

In some ways, I think it's good - certainly better than if these kids just walked home and sat inside by themselves for a couple of hours until their parents got home. A good after school program or homework club or whatever is certainly better time spent than lonely tv watching in isolation behind a locked door.

But in other ways, I think the whole phenomenon has produced a generation of kids who have no idea how to productively entertain themselves without adult supervision.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 02:59 am
@aidan,
Actually, you can have/we have have the sane here - but voluntarily.

And children can go in the afternoon to youth clubs, sport clubs, friends or whatever. How they like it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 03:01 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
I don't think there even was anything like an 'after-school' program- if we did homework, we did it at our own direction- if we played a game - we made up our own teams and rules, etc.

When I was older (14plus), usually just stayed at home for meal and a very short time in my room, "doing homework". And then I had questions about this homework, which only could be answered at some friends ...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 05:24 am
@Brandon9000,
What is irrelevant is the drivel you are posting. The title of your thread says that Mr. Obama "nixes" traditional long school summer vacations. That's bullshit, we all know it, and you are shameless enough to accuse the man of something he cannot do.

I'll tell you what i'm doing in this thread. I'm pointing out that it is Chicken Little bullshit. Only local school boards can determine the length of any "break" or "vacation" time for their students, unless and until the relevant state boards of education decide to change that, or it is legislated by the relevant state assembly. At a stretch, one could imagine the Congress attempting to force the states to change their policies with regard to breaks and vacations.

Mr. Obama does not control what Congress does. Mr. Obama does not control what state assemblies do. Mr. Obama does not control what local school boards do. So your thread is a typical example of conservative Chicken Little hysteria.

That's what i'm doing in your thread, Brandon--i'm pointing that out. And as long as you continue to attempt to imply--dishonestly, i might add--that Mr. Obama has any such authority, i'll stay in your pathetic, lying, false hysteria thread.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 06:45 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
It's impossible to quantify, since it expresses only my feeling about childhood.

Then you're expressing your feelings and not making an argument. Stop trying to pretend it's anything different from that.
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 06:56 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
It's impossible to quantify, since it expresses only my feeling about childhood.

Then you're expressing your feelings and not making an argument. Stop trying to pretend it's anything different from that.

I'm not. Where am I making a pretense that it's anything other than subjective?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 07:01 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

What is irrelevant is the drivel you are posting. The title of your thread says that Mr. Obama "nixes" traditional long school summer vacations. That's bullshit, we all know it, and you are shameless enough to accuse the man of something he cannot do.

I'll tell you what i'm doing in this thread. I'm pointing out that it is Chicken Little bullshit. Only local school boards can determine the length of any "break" or "vacation" time for their students, unless and until the relevant state boards of education decide to change that, or it is legislated by the relevant state assembly. At a stretch, one could imagine the Congress attempting to force the states to change their policies with regard to breaks and vacations.

Mr. Obama does not control what Congress does. Mr. Obama does not control what state assemblies do. Mr. Obama does not control what local school boards do. So your thread is a typical example of conservative Chicken Little hysteria.

That's what i'm doing in your thread, Brandon--i'm pointing that out. And as long as you continue to attempt to imply--dishonestly, i might add--that Mr. Obama has any such authority, i'll stay in your pathetic, lying, false hysteria thread.

I'm merely taking the article I linked in at face value. The article says that Obama proposed this, and I am responding to that statement. I am not making any particular claim that the executive has the power to pass laws. I will agree, though, that the thread opening title is probably poorly chosen, now that I think about it, since the president can only propose legislation. It should probably be "comes out against." I disagree with what he is proposing, though, and it can be discussed. You really need to deal with your anger management issues, though. If this little topic is enough to throw you into a rage, you need help.
Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 07:49 am
@Brandon9000,
If the article says he proposed, why does the title of your thread state that he "nixes" traditional long school summer vacations? The title is inflammatory and tendentious, and i suspect that was your intent. The alternative is to assume that you entitled it in a fit of stupidity, and it is not my experience that you are stupid.

I see we have here yet another lame attempt to suggest that one's interlocutor is angry. Don't flatter yourself, i am not and was not angry, and i certainly was not enraged. It's just a cheap rhetorical trick, beneath the dignity of a high school debate team, which attempts to suggest that one's interlocutor is responding emotionally, rather than logically, which is ground you inferentially claim for yourself. The title here is ample evidence of an appeal to emotion.
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 09:31 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

If the article says he proposed, why does the title of your thread state that he "nixes" traditional long school summer vacations? The title is inflammatory and tendentious, and i suspect that was your intent. The alternative is to assume that you entitled it in a fit of stupidity, and it is not my experience that you are stupid.

I see we have here yet another lame attempt to suggest that one's interlocutor is angry. Don't flatter yourself, i am not and was not angry, and i certainly was not enraged. It's just a cheap rhetorical trick, beneath the dignity of a high school debate team, which attempts to suggest that one's interlocutor is responding emotionally, rather than logically, which is ground you inferentially claim for yourself. The title here is ample evidence of an appeal to emotion.

Everything except addressing the issue. Stop guessing my motives, which is not an argument, and discuss the actual topic of greatly shortening the summer vacation.
boomerang

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 09:37 am
I think year round school would go a long way to address the problems faced by milliions of kids who spend the three months of summer hungry and unsupervised.

A long break is great as long as you've got money.
FreeDuck

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 09:42 am
@Brandon9000,
Well, I'm ok with extending the year and having several smaller breaks instead -- as long as I get 4 to 6 weeks with my kids in summer. (I'm still trying to take that Great American Vacation.) The truth is that most kids end up in summer camps for a lot of that time anyway.

I'm in favor of extending the school day if it means kids get their needed recess. Many schools, pressured to cram more into the school day, have been cutting or eliminating recess. I think that's a tragedy. Lots of kids just end up going to after care anyway. If we extend the school day but allow kids to have at least a full hour of recess each day and then add more time for music or dance or sports, I think that would be great. In some neighborhoods the schools are the only safe places for kids to play and socialize.
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 09:47 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I think year round school would go a long way to address the problems faced by milliions of kids who spend the three months of summer hungry and unsupervised.

A long break is great as long as you've got money.

I don't think that every child in the country should be forced to forego summer vacation because some children have bad home situations. The bad home situations, e.g. being too poor to buy food, should be addressed separately. Children should have a considerable amount of time off to just be kids and not be treated as though they were adult workers only smaller.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 09:58 am
Quote:
Everything except addressing the issue. Stop guessing my motives, which is not an argument, and discuss the actual topic of greatly shortening the summer vacation.

You were the one who said Obama made a proposal, when in fact he was expressing his opinions on the matter rather than saying he was going to propose congress do this... Since he couldn't propose congress do anything when all that is decided locally, your whole opening remarks were somewhat off.

Having said that; I am not sure how I feel about schools having long hours. I know in my particular county (live a rural area) it seems like the younger kids take forever to get home as it is on the school buses and if they stayed even later it would be almost bed time before they got home. I don't think Obama considers situations outside city areas too much. But as far as shorter summer vactions, not a bad idea in my opinion for the reasons some have already expressed. Maybe stretch out the breaks more during the school year.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 10:22 am
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:
I'm in favor of extending the school day if it means kids get their needed recess. Many schools, pressured to cram more into the school day, have been cutting or eliminating recess. I think that's a tragedy. Lots of kids just end up going to after care anyway. If we extend the school day but allow kids to have at least a full hour of recess each day and then add more time for music or dance or sports, I think that would be great.

yes! recess/gym/music class

I only realized recently that the reason the school day/school year had become so short in the last years was because so much was being cut out.

40 years ago school ran from 8:30 - roughly 4/4:30 with lunch and 2 good recess breaks. We had July and August off (which always seemed too long for me, I was ready to go back to school after about 2 weeks).

It's rough for families now. Both parents generally need to work, but the kids have a shorter school day so more after-school care is required, so parents need to work more hours to pay for that ... it's a vicious cycle.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 10:30 am
Yep. My kids go to after school care even if I end up home in the afternoon because if they came home there'd be nothing for them to do and no other kids to play with. We live on a busy street. At after care, which is at their actual elementary school, they have fields, playgrounds, a gym, other kids, games, etc... And we can also sign them up for extras like music, karate, computer, foreign language and the like. I'd love to see expanded extras as part of the regular school day.

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 10:37 am
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:
Lots of kids just end up going to after care anyway.

But not all. Extending the school day would rob some parents of precious time with their kids.

Personally, I think school days are already too long, and are really designed to only meet the needs of working parents.