WHAT IS MOST LIKELY TO HAPPEN NEXT?

roger

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 02:48 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Is there any way I can convince you to use quote tags for quotes instead of colors? The colors makes this more confusing (to those who don't know your markup) and difficult (for me who is intent on fixing it all if I am going to reply).

I completely agree, and there are a few others. I still have trouble keeping up with who is being quoted in the long, nested quotes, but anything is better than the color or lines to note quoted material.

I use color, from time to time to keep my stuff from being confused with stuff I'm quoting, but noone is perfect.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 08:08 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Now that it has been revealed than Iran has been building a secret nuclear facility and the US, UK and France have jointly denounced the effort, what is most likely to happen next?

1) Obama, Sarkozy and Brown successfully coerce or cajole the Iranians into abandoning their efforts to obtain nuclear weapons?

2) Israel launches pre-emptive strikes against Iranian nuclear facilities?

3) Iran demonstrates its nuclear weapons capability by detonating one underground?

I'm betting on #2, because #1 is not going to happen and the Israelis cannot wait for #3.

Of the ones you listed, #2 is the only possible outcome.

But don't discount the possibility that the bombing will be done by the US instead of by Israel.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 08:09 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
What about number 4: Nothing?

Not going to happen. If the US does not bomb Iran in the end, Israel will.

I think the US will do it.

engineer wrote:
2) Both the current and the last US administrations have made clear that they do not support unilateral action. Given that the Israelis are already weary of Obama, they certainly aren't going to give him a pretext for lessing his already tepid support for Israel.

If Israel concludes that the US will not do it, they will do it themselves.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 08:09 am
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Now that it has been revealed than Iran has been building a secret nuclear facility and the US, UK and France have jointly denounced the effort, what is most likely to happen next?

Is the facility designed for an energy program or a nuclear weapons program?

Like most of Iran's nuclear facilities, it is 100% weapons.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 08:10 am
@okie,
okie wrote:
"Former Carter National Security adviser Zbigniew Brzezinski made news in an interview implying that the US should be prepared to militarily confront any Israeli planes headed for a preemptive strike on Iranian nuclear facilities they suspect to be developing nuclear weapons."
Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/thomas-lipscomb/maybe-brzezinski-is-half_b_294990.html

Zbigniew Brzezinski is an anti-Semite. His views don't count.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 08:19 am
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Debra Law wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Is the facility designed for an energy program or a nuclear weapons program?

You tell me.

The NPT, of which Iran is a signatory, does not prohibit the development of a nuclear program for peaceful purposes. We cannot assume that Iran is developing nuclear weapons.

No need to assume when we know it for a fact.

Debra Law wrote:
More facts must be gathered before we may speculate about "what is most likely to happen next."

Nah. What happens next is easy to determine.

Obama wants to wait until the last possible moment before he bombs Iran's illegal nuclear program.

That "last possible moment" will one day arrive.

If Israel loses patience, they will bomb earlier.

So, there are two ultimate possibilities:

a) Iran's illegal nuclear program is bombed by the US

b) Iran's illegal nuclear program is bombed by Israel

Debra Law wrote:
The options you placed on the table, e.g., launching pre-emptive strikes against the Iranian facility, are highly premature and are reminiscent of condemnable cowboy tactics used by our former president, G.W. Bush.

Hardly condemnable. Bush made Iraq a democracy. That's a good thing.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 08:45 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
Why don't you feel this way about Israel? Israel has a recent national history of attacking their neighbors and repressing their minority population.

Israel's actions have been pure self-defense.

Plus, unlike Iran, Israel has the right to have nuclear weapons.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 08:47 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
Screw fairness, how about just some common sense? There is no right to prevent them from having nukes either,

They are members of the NPT. That makes their nuclear weapons program illegal.

Robert Gentel wrote:
and in many cases simply no acceptable way to prevent it. If Iran really wants nukes they will have them and there's nothing reasonable that anyone can do about it to stop them.

Blowing up their nuclear sites, with repeat bombardment when they try to rebuild, combined with the destruction of their power grid and fuel supplies (also repeated as necessary) would prevent it. I find such a course of action perfectly reasonable and acceptable.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 08:48 am
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:
Engineer - prevention was unnecessary. South Africa (of course with the old regime still in place) did test a nuclear device over waters near Antarctica at a time no satellites were overhead. The 2-stage flash was however observed by other satellites and as you know cannot be generated by any other phenomenon, natural or manmade. The country's nuclear program was quietly dismantled long before apartheid was abolished.

South Africa did not do any such test.

Probably it was an Israeli test of an atomic artillery shell they duplicated from a US design. After all, there must be some reason Israel maintains a battery of 8-inch artillery in high readiness, even though it is obsolete for conventional uses.
0 Replies