Sonny

snood

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 07:08 am
I visited my mom and sister and brother-in-law and niece and grandniece in NC over the last couple of days b/c of my mom's birthday. It happens that I got to see and spend a little time with Sonny, the ole terrier-mix dawg who was my dog in my first marriage, and who went to live with my mom and then my sister when I got separated from my 1st wife, back in 2001.

Sonny is probably about 14 years old now, and in poor health. My sister has been a real trooper as far as the care of him - she's nursed him through a terrible ear infection, enlarged heart condition, bad arthritis and a couple other things.

When I got him from the Humane society in Hawaii, sonny was 8 months old and the sweetest dog. He took to us immediately like he was at home from the first. He adopted a 4 week old kitten just like it was another puppy, and he was a joy to be with - ran like the wind, could almost seem to be laughing when he played - with his tongue hanging out and his eyes ablaze with life.

Now sonny can barely walk 100 feet before he begins to labor and cough. His legs are so stiff he slips and falls often. His skin sags off of a bony frame, and his eyes are clouded over. The only time he seems even a little happy is when my sister feeds him his custom made diet of boiled chicken, rice and cooked pumpkin. He is somewhat perked up for those few minutes, then he either painfully slumps back down to sleep, or lies there with his head on his paws, looking sad.

A couple weeks ago, my sister had decided to go on and put him to sleep - she called me and we cried about it together. But somehow sonny must have sensed something was up, and he perked up noticably for several days - even following her upstairs to her house office for the first time in months and months - it had become too hard and painful, but somehow he got the gumption to do it. So he got a reprieve 'cause it was almost like he was saying "See, guys? I've still got some kick left in me!"

But when I visited, I got the feeling he was telling me to let him go. He would stare at me, and come over to me and bow his head and let me just feel him all over as if to say "Hey man, you of all people must know how crappy I feel - you knew me when I could run all day!"

This morning at 4:30 AM the thought that woke me up was that Sonny was trying to tell me to help him go. So I emailed my sister that I think its time.

This is why I sometimes feel like I'll never let another pet into my heart. It is pretty wrenching stuff. This is a picture of me and ole dawg taken the other day...

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa101/janblount/meandsonny1.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 17 • Views: 1,010 • Replies: 17
No top replies

eoe

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 07:19 am
My condolences. It sounds like Sonny had a good run and lots of love from your family. Let him rest now.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 07:36 am
Sorry, snood. I know it's a hard decision to make but I think you made the right one.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 07:51 am
@snood,
Aw snood. I'm sorry.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 08:36 am
@snood,
Sonny had a good life, and that's a testament to your family. He knew love. There's an epitaph: he knew love.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 08:39 am
@snood,
Bittersweet post.
All I can say is that I had a grrlfriend once who wouldn't put her dog down and I saw some terrible suffering. You did right by me snood
FreeDuck

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 08:54 am
@panzade,
When you said you had a girlfriend I thought the story was going to take an entirely different turn.
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 09:19 am
My condolences. My cat is like a family member.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 09:20 am
ahhhhh snood, I'm so sorry.

it's hard, I know.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 12:25 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
[...] This morning at 4:30 AM the thought that woke me up was that Sonny was trying to tell me to help him go. So I emailed my sister that I think its time.

This is why I sometimes feel like I'll never let another pet into my heart. It is pretty wrenching stuff.

I'm so sorry to read of this, snood. I can understand that this must be a very difficult time for you.

Just very recently, my wife and I just went through the same thing. We had to make to gut-wrenching decisions to euthanize both of our cats within only 6 weeks of each other. It was very unexpected. They both had health problems that they were not going to recover from. They were 10 and 12 years old.

We were not going to get another cat at first, but the heartbreak was too much, especially for my wife to bear. So, we adopted a 1 - 1/2 year old female brown tabby, and we were glad we did.

((((((Sonny, snood, and family))))))
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 03:57 pm
@FreeDuck,
Quote:
When you said you had a girlfriend I thought the story was going to take an entirely different turn.

I couldn't put her down either
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 04:04 pm
I felt the same way when I lost my last dog. It was over a year and a half before I could contemplate having another one. Condolences, snood.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 04:13 pm
@snood,
Quote:
But when I visited, I got the feeling he was telling me to let him go. He would stare at me, and come over to me and bow his head and let me just feel him all over as if to say "Hey man, you of all people must know how crappy I feel - you knew me when I could run all day!"

This morning at 4:30 AM the thought that woke me up was that Sonny was trying to tell me to help him go. So I emailed my sister that I think its time.

This is why I sometimes feel like I'll never let another pet into my heart. It is pretty wrenching stuff. This is a picture of me and ole dawg taken the other day...

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa101/janblount/meandsonny1.jpg

Aw Snood, I'm sorry you have to make this hard decision. I'm sorry that all of us with pets have to, eventually, too. It's hard, I know. But I think you're right. It does sound like it is the right time. And it sounds like Sonny knows (& wants) this, too. My commiserations, Snood.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 04:25 pm
@snood,
On, man, I understand. I have a long thread on a2k about letting Pacco go.

Be calm, your decision was right.

And now we will all remember Sonny.

p.s., what a great sister you have.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 05:49 pm
@snood,
Thank you for telling us about Sonny - and sharing the photo. Dog and man.

I'm glad you were able to visit with Sonny and listen to him. Good man.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 06:21 pm
Much love to the big guy and his pal.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 09:40 am

I'm so sorry Snood.
You have a special way of melting my heart when I read posts about your pets. The love and compassion you have for them comes through so vividly.
Lots of love to you during this difficult time.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 10:14 am
Ever since this thread started, I've had that song stuck in my head.
0 Replies