3 Sex offenders at the same address ???

Linkat

Thu 24 Sep, 2009 11:55 am
I get periodic updates of sex offenders that move into the area. Coincidently 3 moved into the same address in my city in the past month. Two are convicted of indecent assault on a child under 14 - one of which had two offenses. The third is convicted of assault with the intent to comment rape - two offenses.

A nice group of young gentlemen. Is this some sort of half way house do you think? Or did this nice gentlemen meet while in the slammer and decided to bunk up together?

Is there some way for me to find out. It isn't in my direct neighborhood - but it doesn't look too far from where the Y is and we frequent the Y (and some summers my kids attend the Y camp).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 15 • Views: 10,301 • Replies: 168
Topic Closed

Gargamel

Thu 24 Sep, 2009 11:57 am
Sounds like a hilarious new sitcom coming to CBS this fall to me.

"And the Emmy for best comedy goes to...No Means Yes!"
djjd62

Thu 24 Sep, 2009 12:01 pm
@Gargamel,
or "3 Men and a Basement Full of Children"
0 Replies

Gala

Thu 24 Sep, 2009 12:18 pm
@Linkat,
Can you start on a county level? I imagine if there's a law saying they have to register than there has to be some public records on it.

Also, maybe try the newspaper for that section of town, if it's a small town newspper then you'll probably be able to talk to the person who covers the crime beat.
Linkat

Thu 24 Sep, 2009 12:38 pm
@Gala,
Thanks - I did another search - I think I put in the incorrect address at first.

Come to find out it is a homeless shelter. Strange this place is called Father Bills (I am aware of it as it is a huge wellknown homeless shelter in the area). I just never thought they would house sex offenders. Ironically they are an emergency shelter for teens and they provide housing for victims of domestic violence especially families - almost seems like a conflict of interest there.

Although the housing in my city is strictly for individual men and women - the other stuff is they find emergency housing for teens and families.
0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 24 Sep, 2009 12:44 pm
Also as I read a bit more of the facility it isn't supposed to be "a holding facility". It is one those places where you line up each day for a half hour to get in. So it isn't in a sense a "real address" of where they live.

I have mixed feelings about this. I understand it would be best for these individuals to stay in such a place - somewhere that has strict rules rather than out on the street, but it is kind of scary to think that these people are so close to where my girls frequent. And also to a facility I link with "homeless" individuals like my "pal" John I know that stays there frequently. I've bought him coffee and stuff and talked with him the subway (when I used to use public transportation). Not someone that could be harmful.

Another scary thing is they different resources geared to these individuals on their website and one is to the local library. I often times see shady characters hanging out around the library (and in it) when I bring my kids there. It isn't far from this address.
OCCOM BILL

Thu 24 Sep, 2009 01:00 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I get periodic updates of sex offenders that move into the area. Coincidently 3 moved into the same address in my city in the past month. Two are convicted of indecent assault on a child under 14 - one of which had two offenses. The third is convicted of assault with the intent to comment rape - two offenses.

A nice group of young gentlemen. Is this some sort of half way house do you think? Or did this nice gentlemen meet while in the slammer and decided to bunk up together?

Is there some way for me to find out. It isn't in my direct neighborhood
Many States have public access to their record keeping online. Try googling "your state public court records search"... or just call the local clerk of courts and ask how you might get access, or what she would recommend.

It does sound terribly inappropriate to house child-sex offenders at emergency shelters that take children. Consider writing a brief editorial of your findings and sending it to the Police Station, the D.A.'s office, and the local newspaper. Squeaky wheels tend to get the most oil, and drawing attention to the demented trio is liable to persuade them to move on to somewhere they might have better luck remaining anonymous… or at least put them on notice that they are not currently so.
Linkat

Thu 24 Sep, 2009 01:22 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
I did another search and found the police information on level 3 sex offenders - so they know these fine citizens use the Father Bills address.
Linkat

Thu 24 Sep, 2009 01:28 pm
@Linkat,
And I found this as well:

"A homeless sex offender charged with a breaking into a woman's apartment with a box cutter is being held on $350,000 bail.

David A. Dunbar, 40, was charged with home invasion, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and malicious damage.

Police said Dunbar, who had been staying at Father Bill’s Place, removed a screen and climbed through a window to enter a first floor apartment in the 200 block of Granite Street early Saturday morning."

I do remember this happening, but until now he did not show up on my sex offender list.

0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 24 Sep, 2009 02:55 pm
All of these individuals are registered as Level 3 - which is likely to commit again.
0 Replies

NickFun

Thu 24 Sep, 2009 03:56 pm
With all the pedophile priest running around it sounds like a conspiracy to me. I'd stsay away from those guys.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Thu 24 Sep, 2009 04:28 pm

Feloniously violent recidivists shoud be BANISHED
after fingerprints, retinal scans, pictures, and DNA samples have been taken.

Thay shoud be required to depart hence from the North American Continent,
with the admonition that the death penalty applies to sneaking back in.

David
Green Witch

Thu 24 Sep, 2009 06:29 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Hey, let's send them to Australia!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 24 Sep, 2009 06:47 pm
I figure some people on those lists are named in questionable circumstance and that some are named because they are virtual monsters. As countless people have said before me, the monster in the room is often at home.

Last place I lived was a short block from the 'best' property in the city, owners then one of our clients. Across the street from them was a house of long ill repute, and then me on the next block and in the other direction, across the street, a meth distributor. Which I was involved in shutting down.

Sex offenders? I looked them up once, those named were mostly gone from the addresses shortly.

I have sympathy for the falsely accused, this elaboration of care that takes over our neighborhoods. I won't call it all a witch hunt, but I see pattern.

OCCOM BILL

Thu 24 Sep, 2009 08:47 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Feloniously violent recidivists shoud be BANISHED
after fingerprints, retinal scans, pictures, and DNA samples have been taken.

Thay shoud be required to depart hence from the North American Continent,
with the admonition that the death penalty applies to sneaking back in.
And just which country do you think would take them in? And why should they?

What we need is a fool proof way to keep track of them... which really isn't that complicated. I concur with Dennis Miller’s enlightened suggestion: burials.

It just doesn’t make sense that the innocent (Linkat & family, etc.) have so much more to fear than the guilty (demented shorteye trio and the like.)

0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 24 Sep, 2009 09:06 pm
I saw Miguel Piniero's (may have name wrong) play called Short Eyes in a small theater.

I get it.

I'm more fearful of people being zoned in as short eyes who aren't, though I'm not in favor of what happens to true short eyes people either. I take you as a tad avid at short eye calling, Bill.

I'm mixed on this whole thing as I'm no fan of people who continue to go after victims, much less next door to me. Still, I know enough about people being falsely accused in divorces et al.

I don't know about these three guys, of course. I do sort of wonder about your fear re them being near the Y, some blocks away, Linkat.

OCCOM BILL

Thu 24 Sep, 2009 09:54 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I'm more fearful of people being zoned in as short eyes who aren't, though I'm not in favor of what happens to true short eyes people either. I take you as a tad avid at short eye calling, Bill.

I'm mixed on this whole thing as I'm no fan of people who continue to go after victims, much less next door to me. Still, I know enough about people being falsely accused in divorces et al.
I wouldn't be inclined to summon the executioner on every case, Osso, and I'm getting more familiar all the time both the incredible vindictiveness in divorce, and the MANY shortcomings of our legal system as well. Currently, working very hard to free a man who may very well go away for a murder he didn't commit. You'll probably be hearing about it nationally next month.

ossobuco wrote:
I don't know about these three guys, of course. I do sort of wonder about your fear re them being near the Y, some blocks away, Linkat.
Many jurisdictions forbid these scumbags from setting up shop near schools. I see no reason the Y should be any different.

Make some noise Linkat!
ossobuco

Thu 24 Sep, 2009 10:43 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Maybe you and I can come to understanding. I'm well aware of aggravated sexual assault, luckily not personally as a legal term, although I did deal with being raped in a situation no one would think of prosecuting, including me in my lawyerly moments. It changed my life but wasn't a legal matter.

I'm thinking that worldwide there isn't this kind of distinction we have about rape - or am I wrong? I know it's bad news in war (some meeting said so) but how about in relationships? It makes me curl, step back,
but I don't know re others across the earth.

Past all that, what to do with these oafs after they have done time?

Re the three near the Y, I really don't know. Would be interested in what others think. I am guessing ok, a city has many facilities, do you want to forbid them to all?

I'm just starting to read Carcaterra, finished Sleepers a few weeks ago. There was a book.
hawkeye10

Thu 24 Sep, 2009 10:55 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Re the three near the Y, I really don't know. Would be interested in what others think. I am guessing ok, a city has many facilities, do you want to forbid them to all?

That would be the norm, registered sex offenders are to be hounded out of every location, denied every job, under what ever explanation that works. Which is why the future for these guys is as vagrants, forever forbidden from making a life for themselves. There are many mean assholes in America who are just fine with this outcome. They have zero compassion. They have zero regard for fairness. Justice is clear, we either have them in the criminal justice system (supported by taxpayers) or we leave them alone. What we do now is unjust in the extreme...we should be ashamed of ourselves.
ossobuco

Thu 24 Sep, 2009 11:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
That seems so, the modern version of shunning. I'm not a smart person on this, but it seems hell in various ways for the ill accused and the really guilty. By now I have some doubts on who is really guilty ever, but, granted that I do find that distinction, both guilty and non guilty should be treated humanely. Maybe in the next century.